Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Nothing in timezone directory...no README.maintainer file??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Nothing in timezone directory...no README.maintainer file?? Reply with quote

I am on my third attempt to work my way through the installation instructions. Following them very closely.

I interrupted my second attempt just after completing step 15 in the x86 installation instructions.

Today I put the Gentoo CD back in and rebooted the computer and started in on step 16 TimeZone.

First off my prompt says "cdimage root #". Is this where I want to be? If not can someone point out to me how to get where I want to be step by step? Some of the forum instructions seem to indicate that I should be elsewhere and I am just checking.

Secodly the directory "/usr/share/timezone/" has absolutely not one solitary thing in it. According to step 16 of the instructions I am suppossed to look in this directory for my time zone. Well...it's not there. Can someone tell me where it might be?

Lastly there is no README.maintainer file in my root directory "/". I understand from some of the forum posts that it's suppossed to be there. May I ask where it might have gone to or what might have happened?

I have been installing from a LiveCD using stage3-pentium3-1.4_rc2.tbz2 tar file. The downloaded ISO file checked out just fine with md5sum and I have installed a lot of other distributions using the same process (ie. burning to a CD).

I would appreicate it very much if someone would kindly help me figure out where to go with all this.

It's disappointing that I must again put off Gentoo due to installation quirks and problems. Frankly it shouldn't be this problematic to install a Linux distribution! I am just following the instructions one step at a time and getting almost nowhere.

Thanks.

Carlos
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow up I managed to backtrack and come back to a point where things seem to be where they are suppossed to be now so unless someone has some additional insight I'm going to continue.

I'm still at the "cdimage" prompt but this doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thanks.

Carlos
C_Hird
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: You are on the memory image! Reply with quote

Hi

I found this out by asking? dumb question I though so glad I am not the only one who is making it.

When you boot from the CD it creates a virtual file system, it may be in memory I am not too sure.

Any how you need to do a mkdir /mnt/gentoo and then mount it something like mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo. this will link up the real image on the hard drive not the temp image from the CD. You then need to follow the other steps to chroot etc etc. Let me know if you get a problem from env-update after the chroot? I am stuck there at the moment.

Chris... :wink:
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Chris. I pretty much backtracked my way back and restarted from the creation of the directories and using chroot. Due to other problems during the emerging of the kernel sources I went clear back to the very beginning and started all over again :).

Hope things are working out better for you.

I just hope that the final product is worth it. I gave up on FreeBSD with less than half the problems I have been having with my Gentoo install. At least that one installed though I could never get the mouse to work right :).

Carlos
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: