Choppy 2D and mouse in X
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Choppy 2D and mouse in X Reply with quote

I'll just quote Beast-Master in one of his previous posts, as he seems to experience exactly the same problem Im having:

Quote:

My real question is something like this:
In winBlows XP, when I move a window really quickly (I mean really really quickly), the window still moves very smoothly, no choppiness in the movement at all... nice smoot... infact, if you just drag around a window really quickly for the heck of it (yes, I know.. I don't have a life ), the movement is still very very smooth. In KDE.. when I do the same, the movement is not so smooth - its kinda choppy, kinda feels like the system is choking when I do it... ya know.. the feeling of the loss in framerate when the action gets really hot in a feature packed game.
The other thing that's choppy is when the mouse is in its animation mode... when you open Konqueror for example, the mouse goes into its neet, yet not so transparent, animation... when I move around the mouse then (rather quickly), the movement of the mouse is really choppy.

As you might imagine, this is *quite* annoying - and I dont think its hardware related since I use a rather powerful GeForce2 Pro with 64MB ram and nvidia drivers. Ive tried different nvidia drivers, but they dont seem to impact on this problem.

Sometime I can even count aprox 8 sec between each split-second "hang" of the X server. And moving a window around the desktop really fast for awhile really choke the X server and it spend a second or two refreshing (!) None of this happened when I used another linux distro, but I wont give up Gentoo just yet.

It seems this is related to either:

-preemptive mode kernel
-low latency mode kernel
-optimization flags

or a combination of these. Any suggestions please?
eyce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: trial and lots of error.. LOL. Reply with quote

K.. here's what I have going now... hopefully this will fix it for you too..
XFree86 Version 4.2.99.902 (4.3.0 RC 2)
nVidia kernel [1.0.3123-r2]
nVidia glx [1.0.3123]
and the latest Gnome available normally from portage... not a cvs or anything.

I emerged the above version of X first.
then I emerged the latest version of nidia.
then I unmerged the latest version of nvidia.
That made things VERY bad... both KDE AND Gnome were crashing... thank God for Fluxbox :)... btw, even running konquror in Fluxbox was making it all go down in fire. Running GTK[1x/2x] apps in Fluxbox was working just fine (if not faster than gnome).. but running Gnome made everything crash. SO!:
I emerged the above nvidia drivers in the above stated order.
Gnome 2.2 and a very slightly older version of X had already been there... so I guess I'd do X + Gnome the second time around as the first step.

Hope this helps! :).

Cheers!

- Eyce/ Beast_Master (forgot password for that accound LOL).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: