Quick Search: in
Interesting KDE somethin' or other
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Interesting KDE somethin' or other Reply with quote

Hello! I am so glad this forum is here :). I am wondering if anyone has this problem, and suggested solutions: Whenever I start X (and KDE 3.0 ) for the first time, it takes quite a while, I would say 10-20 seconds, to bring up the KDE 3 logo, after which it starts like normal. X has definitely started, and you can see the cursor. I ran top on another console, and kdeinit was running, and ksplash was also. After that wait, it seems ok. When I switch to the primary virtual console (ctrl+alt+f1), it seems that it just sits there for a while, then complains about some Qpicture not found or something (sorry, I cannot seem to find it in a lot somewhere). I tried recompiling kdebase/kdelibs with less aggressive C(XX)FLAGS, and it still does this. I am wondering if I should also try QT. I am also using mosfet liquid, if it makes any difference. Thanks for your help!

Jamon

P.S. I am running a very fast PC - Athlon 1.4 w/ 512MB of RAM. No problems there :)
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a strange suggestion but did you try using a different theme then mosfet to see whether that does anything? (although i highly doubt it)

-S
Jamon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Unfortunately.. Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it still does happen. I decided to play it carefully, and I was able to get the text it displays after the long wait on the primary console screen.

XFree stuff, then one blank line, then:

>> running as realtime process now (priority 50)
Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
_IceTransmkdir: Ownerof /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root

Once that realtime process thingie shows up, it starts to move. It seems kinda wierd to me. Ideas?

Jamon
gekke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long shot, but could it be that it tries to resolve your host name and it doens't exist?

I had very slow loading times until I added my hostname to the localhost line in /etc/hosts (I have a laptop and have no fixed ip as such)
andee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Unfortunately.. Reply with quote

[
>> running as realtime process now (priority 50)
_IceTransmkdir: Ownerof /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root

I have one suggestion. Start kde as root for the first time to set owner of .ICE-unix. Whoever starts kde first is set as owner of this file.
This is going to speed up start-up time.
As for the rest of warnings I have no idea what causing it, maybe arts(sound) I have these errors too.
Jamon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Hmm.. Reply with quote

Oh, one other thing - this only happens the first time I boot up the PC. If I logout of X, and startx again, it boots up quickly. Any ideas?

Jamon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: