2006.0 on Alpha install issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiteboxalpha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: 2006.0 on Alpha install issues Reply with quote

I am trying to install Gentoo 2006.0 on a Digital Server 3305 (AS800) system and am having some problems. First of all I need to power and the system and wait 20 minutes before booting off the CD or it crashes during the boot process (this is just annoying). The real problem is there is a message during the boot process near the end that scrolls off the screen about not finding libpci.a the boot seems to complete and I get the prompt. Everything seems to go smoothly until I get to the point of selecting a mirror:

# mirrorselect -i -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf

when I execute this command I get the error message:

/usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

Has anyone installed Gentoo on an Alpha using the 2006.0 CD? (I have tried both the minimal and universal CDs, both behave the same.)
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your box is having some hardware issues (heat problems?) :(

Plenty of users have succesfully installed using the 2006.0 installcd and I haven't had any reports of problems like the ones you're describing.

You need to fix the hardware problems before we can even begin to diagnose any further problems.
whiteboxalpha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kloeri wrote:
Sounds like your box is having some hardware issues (heat problems?) :(

Plenty of users have succesfully installed using the 2006.0 installcd and I haven't had any reports of problems like the ones you're describing.

You need to fix the hardware problems before we can even begin to diagnose any further problems.

A. The box in question does not have hardware problems. It does not have heat issues. The problem exists and is related to the 2006.0 install CD.

B. Mirrorselect seems to be the only thing that has a problem. (I skipped the mirrorselect step and installed gentoo on the system. It is currently busy emerging kde. Something that isn't likely to work very well if the system were having "heat problems".)
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you have hardware problems. Why else would you need to wait 20 minutes before being able to boot?

I don't care if it's memory, heat, cpu, cdrom or whatever. But there's no other way to interpret that in my opinion. And I don't think any of the alpha developers is willing to spend time looking for software problems before that's fixed.

So try a different cdrom drive, try different memory etc. if possible.
whiteboxalpha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kloeri wrote:
Of course you have hardware problems. Why else would you need to wait 20 minutes before being able to boot?

I don't care if it's memory, heat, cpu, cdrom or whatever. But there's no other way to interpret that in my opinion. And I don't think any of the alpha developers is willing to spend time looking for software problems before that's fixed.

So try a different cdrom drive, try different memory etc. if possible.

No I don't have hardware problems. What I have is a Noritake based system that the kernel on the install disk doesn't support very well. (It gets a kernel panic referencing the tulip driver.)

Once Linux is installed on the system and the kernel is built for a Noritake system the boot issues go away. I don't have to wait to boot the system. Everything works fine. (I can even run mirrorselect.)

If I take the CDs (2006.0-minimal and 2006.0-universal) over to my DS10 (which uses a totally different set of hardware) and boot
each of the CDs on the DS10 I get identical results:

The boot proceeds just fine until it gets to the hardware detection phase:

* Hardware detection started...
hwsetup: error while loading shared libraries: libpci.so: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

and the boot continues.

After the boot completes if i attempt to run mirrorselect I receive the following error message (the parameters to mirrorselect do not affect the error messsage):

/usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

So identical behaviour on a different machine, different model of CD-ROM, everything different except the CD used. Now, could you drop the hardware problem line?
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006.0 on Alpha install issues Reply with quote

whiteboxalpha wrote:
I am trying to install Gentoo 2006.0 on a Digital Server 3305 (AS800) system and am having some problems. First of all I need to power and the system and wait 20 minutes before booting off the CD or it crashes during the boot process (this is just annoying). The real problem is there is a message during the boot process near the end that scrolls off the screen about not finding libpci.a the boot seems to complete and I get the prompt. Everything seems to go smoothly until I get to the point of selecting a mirror:

# mirrorselect -i -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf

when I execute this command I get the error message:

Has anyone installed Gentoo on an Alpha using the 2006.0 CD? (I have tried both the minimal and universal CDs, both behave the same.)

Quote:
So identical behaviour on a different machine, different model of CD-ROM, everything different except the CD used. Now, could you drop the hardware problem line?

Sure, I'd love to drop the hardware problem line if given sufficient reason to do so.

Here's some interesting info that's very relevant to your situation.

1. You're telling me the kernel crashes if you don't wait 20 minutes from power on to boot <- I can't think of anything besides hardware or firmware problems that'd explain that.
2. The primary box used for testing new alpha installcds is an Alphaserver 800 (Noritake) just like yours and I'm not seeing any crash problems etc. on that box.
3. I still claim hardware problems if you need to wait 20 minutes before booting no matter what you're telling me.
4. Does it work if you just skip the mirrorselect stuff? (it'll just use default mirrors)
5. I hope to be able to build a new test installcd in the next few weeks depending on free time etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: