Updating system after change to make.conf
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuardin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Updating system after change to make.conf Reply with quote

I think I have read all the appropriate manuals, and it sees there is no way to get portage to recompile any and all ebuilds that were compiled before a certain event, like editing make.conf. I am thiking something along the simple idea of make. If a dependency is newer, recompile, and one can see make.conf as a dependency of all packages.

I ran across the problem when I decided on a change of compiler options, and I would like to recompile most of my system using the new settings. Unfortunately, letting my comp stand for more than a week compiling is not an option, which is what would happen If I told it to recopile everything. Doing it in pieces will mean I have to manually remember what packages that have been recompiled and not.

My simple question is: Does portage keep compile-dates on packages that can be used, or is this as yet an unimplemented feature?

--Daniel Armyr
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sorry this won't be much help, but I believe that in your tree when you download a package it stores what flags you used to compile it with. What you could do is write a script that parses for the different flags and have it output a list of what you have and haven't updated.

Just an idea. If it wasn't so late I'd do some more research, but maybe tomorrow if no one else has helped, I'll look more into that. You could try looking at /usr/portage subdirs, or possibly wherever portage stores the files for world.
Cuardin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If portage stores the flags used, it would be a definate help. Do you know where it stores them? I think tis could be a definately useful feature. Perhaps not as part of the ebuild program, but I think a little standalone app could be quite informative. If I can find the compilation info of a package then writing such a programn is an evenings work......

--Daniel Armyr
Cuardin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I found it. In /var/db/pkg there is a shadow of the portagetree with a catalogue for all installed packages including the settings used when emerging the package. I'll be back when I have a working program to visualise this stuff. C'ya.

--Daniel Armyr
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great :). Sorry I wasn't more help, I kinda forgot about the post.
Cuardin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sweat. Finding the info once I knew it was available was a small matter.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: