Changing thread titles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Changing thread titles Reply with quote

-- MOD EDIT split off from this thread - BB --

If JeepinJoe didn't seem to exist solely for the purpose of starting this thread with an inflamatory title, I might have left it alone.

Commenting here is fine, as long as the thread doesn't turn into a debate about changing the title ;)

As for defining "spineless wussies", spineless could be translated to "lacking willpower" and wussies could be translated to "someone that is weak" (not necessarily physically).
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, if I think that JeepinJoe is free to say waht he wants, I agree with your position about changing the title ;)

Thanks kanuslupus for your explanation about "spineless wussies" !
BigRedDot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Commenting here is fine, as long as the thread doesn't turn into a debate about changing the title

What's to debate? Changing the title of a thread that already has four pages of discussion is an awful editorial decision.
kres
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Prolly my last post to this dicussion Reply with quote

I've been following this one for awhile, and need to more fully dive into my box upgrade now... time to sign off of this one.

With that said, thanks to the group for a good discussion. (I was very glad to see that a French Gentoo citizen got in on the discussion; You have a very sound viewpoint duf, I enjoyed reading it, even though I do not support it 100% - but I did take away some understanding from it.)

In general, for those of you that tossed in some well thought or well felt opinions here, good for you. This thread could of been (and I think was ment to be by whoever JeepinJoe is...) a flame fest of ape-lie quality.
It was nice to see that it elevated itself above it's humble beginings.

I think that in general the group wants to see the right thing done, with a calm head. It may come to war, it may come to diplomacy, but hopefully it will work itself out for the best.

See ya in the forums,
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigRedDot wrote:
Quote:
Commenting here is fine, as long as the thread doesn't turn into a debate about changing the title

What's to debate? Changing the title of a thread that already has four pages of discussion is an awful editorial decision.

It's a delay :roll:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
-JeaN-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm french and i think that the guy who posted that thread should die in pain while he is headcutted in a french public place and at the same time while he is being burned alive ! :)

*Just Kidding*

Though about the position of france in the US/Iraq problem is a sense one : Hussein should be the one punished, not the whole people of Iraq, i hope we all agree in this ! A war would punish Hussein, but using the iraq people as tool. There is nothing to be proud about in such thing as a war, history has shown us that a war is the most basic way to solve country problems, and i hope we are soon enough advanced not to do wars anymore and use our brains instead. But for that to be possible there must be no idiots in power of big or important countries........

/me points at Bush.... :(
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later is better than never. The previous title was very offensive and against the Forum Guidelines. Maybe it should have been locked in the beggining.

BigRedDot wrote:

bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Later is better than never. The previous title was very offensive and against the Forum Guidelines. Maybe it should have been locked in the beggining.

IMHO it was a provocative title rather than an offensive one, I'd have left it as it was.
Even though I accept the decisions of the moderators.
BigRedDot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Apart from the fact that there is no right not to be offended in this world, the previous title was too stupid to be offensive. To paraphrase Nelson Mandela, there is something to be said for leaving monuments to ignorance intact, as reminders. We all know what a silly title it was - you don't need to do our thinking for us.

In any event, if something violates forum guidelines, then locking should be your only prerogative. If someone says something stupid, they should expect criticism; they should not have to worry about being held resonsible for things published in their name that they never said. The sort of revisionism that would arbitrarily change what someone posts, yet still leave it attributed to them is just plain deceitful.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually edit the first post to tell that a thread title has been changed (I edited it now). I think that if you don't follow the guidelines, you're subjecting your posts to be edited, locked or deleted by moderators. It's like what we see in TV, if something does not comply with their guidelines, they put a tag, a beep or change dialogs.

BigRedDot wrote:
If someone says something stupid, they should expect criticism; they should not have to worry about being held resonsible for things published in their name that they never said. The sort of revisionism that would arbitrarily change what someone posts, yet still leave it attributed to them is just plain deceitful.

BigRedDot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your television analogy is faulty. Network broadcasters are the creators and disseminators of content, in a one-way media. For content from other sources, edits are either executed by the content creators themselves, or else under explicit contractual terms. Networks are not purporting to host a neutral open forum for interested parties to conduct discussions.

Naturally, the owners of this forum may choose to excercise whatever editorial control they please. But I might suggest that if they cannot suffer the wide variety of opinions and attitudes that are sure to accompany a general interest forum like "Off the Wall," then perhaps it would be more efficacious to not support such a forum at all.

Again: locking, or even possibly deleting a post is one thing; editing another person's words, after the fact, without their input, is quite another. It is dishonest and dishonorable - a solution more offensive and invidious than the alleged problem it supposedly addresses. If those are the rules here, I respectfully choose to no longer play. Who do I talk to about deleting my account?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: my opinion may not match the ones of site maintainers or other moderators

I don't edit posts to change the meaning. The maximum I do is 1) to change inline figures and constructions that hurt badly the forums; 2) thread titles when it is really necessary (when I thread get sticky for example), and pointing out where I did such modifications.

In the other cases, I may lock a thread because of flame wars, for example. But I support kanuslupus' acts on this thread, mainly because the user was clearly created as a troll (please correct me if I am wrong). Then, we may discuss a sensible question: should we be able to create anonymous accounts to post trolls or should we use our main account and feel the consequences?

BTW, I am sure that the guy that posted it knew he/she was doing something bad. Or he/she wouldn't use a new account.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Disclaimer: my opinion may not match the ones of site maintainers or other moderators

BTW, I am sure that the guy that posted it knew he/she was doing something bad. Or he/she wouldn't use a new account.

How many users got kicked from Gentoo forums for nasty behaveour?

-------------------------------------------
sorry my bad english :oops: this is only my third language.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, and I cannot remember of anyone since I began as a moderator.

antik wrote:

DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
.... mainly because the user was clearly created as a troll (please correct me if I am wrong). Then, we may discuss a sensible question: should we be able to create anonymous accounts to post trolls or should we use our main account and feel the consequences? ....

I just can be agree with this point of view and >I think that to be able to create anonymous account is not a solution.
Simply says what we think and assume it, and everybody have the right to say what he thinks, it's the base of Freedom, to be able of free speaking imo !
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigRedDot wrote:
Quote:

Please don't blame kanuslupus, I'm the one who complained about the title of this thread. Kanuslupus simply acted on my complaint, and changed the title of this post to something suitable and in accordance with the forum rules.

Needles to say I'm very grateful for kanuslupus for taking my complaint seriously. We have a large french gentoo user base, and I don't think it's acceptable to have people open up bogus accounts and then make inflamatory remarks. In that same spirit, I could open up a thread titled "Why are the Americans such brainless boneheads ?". I don't know about you, but being an American I would be offended by such a thread. The gentoo forum is outstanding in its level of quality and integrity, and I think that standard has to be upheld. For example, Kanuslupus and I don't agree on much in terms of politics, and we engaged in some hefty debates about a variety of subjects, and yet he still went out of his way to facilitate my complaint. I think that's a very good example in terms of quality of discussions and the maturity of the participants on this board. We, the participants of this board, might not agree on everything, but we accept and respect the rules and the other participants, period.

Since kanuslupus asked us not to turn this thread into a discussion about the changing of the title of this thread, that's all I will say on the subject of changing the title of this thread.

Last edited by c_kuzmanic on Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be offensive to any other people, even if they did'nt have a single Gentoo user, I would be for changing the title. BTW, I have split threads, and this one is just to discuss about "changing titles".

c_kuzmanic wrote:

Please don't blame kanuslupus, I'm the one who complained about the title of this thread. Kanuslupus simply acted on my complaint, and changed the title of this post to something suitable and in accordance with the forum rules.

Needles to say I'm very grateful for kanuslupus for taking my complaint seriously. We have a large french gentoo user base, and I don't think it's acceptable to have people open up bogus accounts and then make inflamatory remarks. The gentoo forum is outstanding in its level of quality and integrity, and I think that standard has to be upheld. For example, Kanuslupus and I don't agree on much in terms of politics, and we engaged in some hefty debates about a variety of subjects, and yet he still went out of his way to facilitate my complaint. I think that's a very good example in terms of quality of discussions and the maturity of the participants on this board. We, the participants of this board, might not agree on everything, but we accept and respect the rules and the other participants, period.

Since kanuslupus asked us not to turn this thread into a discussion about the changing of the title of this thread, that's all I will say on the subject of changing the title of this thread.

c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
It could be offensive to any other people, even if they did'nt have a single Gentoo user, I would be for changing the title. BTW, I have split threads, and this one is just to discuss about "changing titles".

Cool, I was about to suggest that, thx :wink:
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antik wrote:

A few, but not many. (less than 5) It's something we only do as a last resort.

--kurt
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
antik wrote:

A few, but not many. (less than 5) It's something we only do as a last resort.

--kurt

There isn't a "Hall of Shame"? :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: