Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Permissions on /dev/dsp get set to first user that logs in.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fragadelic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Permissions on /dev/dsp get set to first user that logs in. Reply with quote

I have my normal user added to the audio group and I am using devfs.

The problem is that if I log in as 'root' first, the permissions on /dev/dsp get set to root,root and will not allow my regular user account to set it if I try.

I tried adding the following to local.start but it didn't help.

/(can't remember the exact path)/chgrp audio /dev/dsp

Anyone else have this issue or have a fix for it?

My sound(cs4281) is compiled into the kernel.

TIA for any help.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is with /etc/security/console.perms

Quote:

When a user logs in at the console and no other user is currently logged in at the console, pam_console.so will change
permissions and ownership of files as described in the file /etc/security/console.perms. That user may then log in on
other terminals that are considered part of the console, and as long as the user is still logged in at any one of those
terminals, that user will own those devices. When the user logs out of the last terminal, the console may be taken by
the next user to log in. Other users who have logged in at the console during the time that the first user was logged in
will not be given ownership of the devices unless they log in on one of the terminals; having done so on any one termi­
nal, the next user will own those devices until he or she has logged out of every terminal that is part of the physical
console. Then the race can start for the next user. In practice, this is not a problem; the physical console is not
generally in use by many people at the same time, and pam_console.so just tries to do the right thing in weird cases.

in my experience with gentoo though, the /var/run/console directory wasn't created during installation
and this seems to break bringing the permissions back to their default
and letting new logins get their permissions

or you could just edit the console.perms and remove the audio stuff from it
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: