Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anoland wrote:

Uh... yeah. Why not? That would be an ideal opportunity to encourage them to learn and use the search utility instead of posting poorly-formed and inexperienced posts. I don't see this as a bad thing.

Kind of an elitist position, against our newbie-friendly policy. If you don't see it as a bad thing, neither many other people see banning Tor as a bad thing too.

anoland wrote:

This is still possible with or without tor. I could go down to my public library and make a new account on any of their machines. Banning tor doesn't stop this.

But it makes it much harder.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anoland wrote:
Uh... yeah. Why not? That would be an ideal opportunity to encourage them to learn and use the search utility instead of posting poorly-formed and inexperienced posts. I don't see this as a bad thing.

Wtf?! New users should wait some days and be forced to use the search function but some people who want to be anonymous for some yet to be found reason should be able to use and abuse the forums? Something's wrong with your priorities here.
anoland
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amne wrote:

Wtf?! New users should wait some days and be forced to use the search function but some people who want to be anonymous for some yet to be found reason should be able to use and abuse the forums? Something's wrong with your priorities here.

I'm not talking about anonymity here. All of my suggestions for dealing with this preclude anonymity. I'm talking about finding a way to allow privacy minded users like me to run a tor server and still access these forums. Those are my priorities. I don't use tor myself. I run it in order to support the EFF and somebody elses's desire for privacy and anonymity. But yet, somehow, even though I'm a legit user who is logged on I cant access the forums from my normal connection because it runs tor. It remains to be seen if my change to my exit policy will work. If tomorrow I'm able to access the forums because of my new exit policy then this is a dead issue.
anoland
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilla wrote:

Kind of an elitist position, against our newbie-friendly policy. If you don't see it as a bad thing, neither many other people see banning Tor as a bad thing too.

Ok. Maybe a little overreaching. It was just a suggestion.
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anoland wrote:
ian!: you just illustrated the ridiculousness of the admin's stance against tor.

You think so, eh?
Why should we invest more time and work into stuff that's (in the end) causing us problems? I can't see anything ridiculous there..

anoland wrote:
I'm talking about finding a way to allow privacy minded users like me to run a tor server and still access these forums.

What I said..
ian! wrote:
On the other hand you could use another public proxy server.

anoland wrote:
But your solution to my problem is to use ANOTHER proxy service?????

Oh yes. You seem to forget that the problem is on your side. Not on ours..

anoland wrote:
I run it in order to support the EFF and somebody elses's desire for privacy and anonymity.

Support whom?
andersking
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have been affected by this blocking access to tor users. But i;m confused as to why as i don't have tor installed on any of my PCs. It is extremely annoying as the error message is very cryptic and offers no way to fix it. I've had to use another computer to write this on.

I'm not really interested too much in the reasons (they sound reasonable). but i would like to know how i can get access to the forums again. Or why i am blocked even without running tor (i didnt even know what it was until i was blocked for supposedly using it).

Andrew
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andersking wrote:
I'm not really interested too much in the reasons (they sound reasonable). but i would like to know how i can get access to the forums again. Or why i am blocked even without running tor (i didnt even know what it was until i was blocked for supposedly using it).

Please PM me the IP address you were trying to post from (if you have it) so I can try to find where the problem may be.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
jmbsvicetto wrote:
Can you tell me how I can add a direct link to the post instead?
The image on the left of "Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005... etc" is a link to the post. You can use the BB code [post] tags to create a link in your post.

Thanks nixnut! I hand't realized that before. :-(

nixnut wrote:
Quote:
However, I think that if possible a better solution would be to prevent posting, but not reading from Tor.
The admins are trying to create a workable solution for this. It will take some time to test things and determine what will work and what won't, but the issue is looked into.

I'm glad to hear that. Oh, and thank you for looking into the issue.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
andersking
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that i am on a Tor blacklist, most likely due to a previous user. Its causing me problems with other sites too. it may be better to post a link to the blacklist on the error page, ie

http://www.sectoor.de/tor.php

(i'm assuming it sthe blacklist you use) rather than the current

Quote:
Due to people abusing it you can not view this site whilst using Tor.

which isnt very welcoming for people who may be new to gentoo and are on the blacklist for reasons out of their control, or definitely know they arent running tor (like myself). It definitely takes away from the "user friendly experience" that attracted me to gentoo in the first place.

Having looked into it does highlight a problem in the way you implemented the block (ie. read as well as post). No way to find out how to fix the problem if you can't get to the forums!

Also the irony is that i have been able to post this through an anonymous proxy in any case - kind of defeats the purpose, eh?

(i'll not mention the proxy site til i'm off that stupid blacklist though)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andersking wrote:
It appears that i am on a Tor blacklist, most likely due to a previous user. Its causing me problems with other sites too. it may be better to post a link to the blacklist on the error page, ie

Quote:

which isnt very welcoming for people who may be new to gentoo and are on the blacklist for reasons out of their control, or definitely know they arent running tor (like myself). It definitely takes away from the "user friendly experience" that attracted me to gentoo in the first place.

If you can't figure out why you have been blocked, you should not be using Tor.

andersking wrote:

Having looked into it does highlight a problem in the way you implemented the block (ie. read as well as post). No way to find out how to fix the problem if you can't get to the forums!

Again, it has already been discussed in this thread.

andersking wrote:

Also the irony is that i have been able to post this through an anonymous proxy in any case - kind of defeats the purpose, eh?

(i'll not mention the proxy site til i'm off that stupid blacklist though)

It has been discussed in this thread too, and if we wanted to ban that proxy right now, we have the IP for your post.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andersking wrote:

We're not exactly using this one, but the official script to find which exit nodes are currently allowing connections to the forums. Our serverlist is updated on regular basis, but your IP is still in there. I've just been looking into this issue and it seems that some misconfigured server is still in the list, but not reachable (you can set your preferred exit node, which i did, but it didn't use that one). So basically the guy who set up his server wrongly is to blame. Time to send the hitmen. :twisted:

andersking wrote:

Quote:

Point taken, the page could be a bit more verbose. Until you were blocked we assumed that only people who know what they were doing would be affected, but your case clearly shows that random people can be affected by some misconfigured server - which i find pretty annoying.

As for the anonymous proxy you are currently using - we are aware there are lots of proxy servers out there and we may as well ban anonymous proxies if we get abuse from there. Since you're not abusing the server but only posting regularly, this is not a problem. ;)
We're also looking for a solution to your problem by refining the list of banned servers, eventually via a whitelist, please give us some time.

pilla wrote:

Slight misunderstanding here, andersking is really not using tor, but someone set up a wrongly configured tor server resulting in his IP being banned.
anoland
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've performed two experiments since my last post a couple days ago. Since I still want to run tor on my own and still access the forums I have to configure my tor server's exit policy to not connect to the forum IP address (which appears to be 140.211.166.170). The first day I overrode my exit policy with
Code:
ExitPolicy reject *:*
in my torrc. This effectively makes me a "middleman" node according to the tor setup docs. I was able to access the forums with this exit policy yesterday. This may work as a temporary solution.

The other experiment I did was to add the forums address to the exit policy as a reject.
Code:

ExitPolicy reject 140.211.166.170:80

I am not able to access the forums with this exit policy. You can verify what my current policy is here. Whatever mechanism is in place to make the blacklist of tor servers needs to be modified so that it checks the specific exit policies to see if access to the forums IP address is rejected.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amne wrote:

pilla wrote:

Slight misunderstanding here, andersking is really not using tor, but someone set up a wrongly configured tor server resulting in his IP being banned.

Oh sorry.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anoland wrote:
Code:

ExitPolicy reject 140.211.166.170:80

I am not able to access the forums with this exit policy.

You'll also need to reject 140.211.166.170:443 for it to work. We've also made the error message a bit clearer.
anoland
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomk wrote:

You'll also need to reject 140.211.166.170:443 for it to work. We've also made the error message a bit clearer.

Thanks. I check it again tomorrow.
andersking
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilla wrote:
amne wrote:

pilla wrote:

Oh sorry.

It appears that the previous owner of the IP was running a Tor exit server, and by pure bad luck i managed to be assigned his ip address, though i don't know how to get off the exit node list.
(the gentoo forum isn't the only site my ips been blacklisted from :( )

I guess i'll just have to wait til i've been assigned a new ip or the tor database is updated. spent way too much time trying to sort his out already.

Ps. The new blocked message is a lot more informative.
pi314
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff and my opinion about it:

Aktually it's a shame that a project like tor is beeing treated like this. Tor allows users to have some privacy in a big bad world. Ok, it's not always THAT bad, but big brother might be watching you and so I like tor and some freedom. Everyone should have some privacy and therefor tor is currently one of the best ways to go. By blocking tor from "the good world" it will be pushed more and more into a bad world and at the end the project will be destroyed.

So my question: Is it realy so bad that there is no other way than banning tor? Is gentoo - or better some of the gentoo-staff - part of the big bad word destroying our freedom? Ok, there are always some black sheep but isn't it what they want? Don't they want to destroy our social life? And yes, they are good at it. They are good because they make us destroy our freedom by ourselfs.

regards
a happy tor user that wants to use it for all pages he visits

EDIT: maybe just disalowing tor users from creating new accounts would be a fair compromise
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pi314 wrote:
Interesting stuff and my opinion about it:

Aktually it's a shame that a project like tor is beeing treated like this. Tor allows users to have some privacy in a big bad world. Ok, it's not always THAT bad, but big brother might be watching you and so I like tor and some freedom. Everyone should have some privacy and therefor tor is currently one of the best ways to go. By blocking tor from "the good world" it will be pushed more and more into a bad world and at the end the project will be destroyed.

Actually, it's a shame that we have to ban tor because of some users abusing our forums. The big bad world is causing us some trouble.

pi314 wrote:

So my question: Is it realy so bad that there is no other way than banning tor? Is gentoo - or better some of the gentoo-staff - part of the big bad word destroying our freedom? Ok, there are always some black sheep but isn't it what they want? Don't they want to destroy our social life? And yes, they are good at it. They are good because they make us destroy our freedom by ourselfs.

FUD FUD FUD. And you know that obody should need to be anonymous in a Linux support forum.

pi314 wrote:

regards
a happy tor user that wants to use it for all pages he visits

EDIT: maybe just disalowing tor users from creating new accounts would be a fair compromise

Have you read the rest of the thread?
pi314
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And you know that obody should need to be anonymous in a Linux support forum.

Yea, you are right, that won't be a problem in most cases, but that was not my point. I think more importend is that by blocking tor from the legal sites it will drift away into a bad world. When there is no legal site left then a service like tor is useless.

I'm currently thinking that way that I support tor because I'm using it for all day use, keeping the "good to bad" traffic value a little higher even if I'm some lucky person that currently don't need that extra amount of privacy.

Quote:
Have you read the rest of the thread?

Yes, almost. Ok, it would cost some time to rewrite the account-creation-page so that it would refuse account-creation from tor exit nodes, but I think it would be worth considering this as an option.

Quote:

It happened again. Sorry. I shouldn't blame the gentoo-team. They are maintaining a realy cool project and do some great work. Sorry for my bad words.

...you see, it's easy for the bad guys, so just don't let them win.

regards
pi
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to voice my opinion that I am unhappy with the decision to ban tor users.

Not so much because of the administrative reasons, which are quite transparent, but because of the - kind of - strongarming tendencies the Gentoo Forums are demonstrating here.
And also, and forgive me my Bush here, because of the message it might send out to our friends -- that it is ok to ban users of anonymizers out of (in)convenience.

Tor users and the EFF are our friends -- or better, the subset of EFF supporters and OSS or FLOSS supporters is quite large -- and this step might have broader consequences than the advocates of it might be aware of; the Gentoo Forums are after all one of the largest and most renowned outposts of our community and with this position comes -- IMO -- responsibility to also observe the bigger picture for Linux and related projects.

Without pulling too much of RMS here, it is after all more about speech than it is about beer; for me the tor policy smells more about beer...

No need to discuss this post really; the arguments pro and contra presented in other posts in this thread; I just wanted to deposit _my_ opinion.
tuxp3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: my 2cents Reply with quote

well, now i'm not a big guy on privacy, or security, but i can see how using an anon proxy is one of the free speech without catch of repurcussions, (such as a gov or other org/group (good or bad) thats monitoring/recording/using in anyway) the data that tor (and others) help to make truely 'free speech'. however, as with any service, that free speech can be bad, because of the abuse presented. hence the line between the good and bad is fuzzy, and i commend the gentoo-fourm-admins on making a best effort in making this short term solution, even tho it has a large drawback.

However, the current situation is far from ideal, its mearly a quick fix, not one thats prime for permenant policy.
a long term policy that would probably require a bit more work . such as rewriting the forum code's add user, would be a far better solution, but tor users, please understand that this hopefully be the case, but for the time being, finding some other solution so that you can still access your rights on gentoo forums is your only choice.

Tux
sgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: There is a reason! Reply with quote

There is a good reason to connect to the forums using Tor. It is a matter of principal. Our rights to free speech and privacy are being attacked under the "War on Terror" banner. Since the general public have so little understanding of computers and networks we have an uphill battle.

We all have a duty to make widespread use of Tor and encryption technologies. This will protect the privacy of everyone. I have no reason to be anonymous but I still use these technologies to protect this right. I've had exactly the same problem with Slashdot. Its good that gentoo openly discusses the problem.....Slashdot doesn't even have a policy.

Keeping the forums nice and free of spam is vital however so I'm dropping use of a proxy to connect. Couldn't say the same about Slashdot.....I simply don't trust those people.....so I won't post there anymore.

It would be nice to use Tor with the forums .... above posts suggest some possible ways. Thought I'd post this because it didn't look like anyone had pointed out this very good reason for using Tor......of course maybe some people are using the forums to post hidden cryptographic messages....hee hee.

BTW.....nixnit....your avatar should have an epilepsy warning! I found it real hard to read the first 2 pages.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: There is a reason! Reply with quote

sgs wrote:
There is a good reason to connect to the forums using Tor. It is a matter of principal. Our rights to free speech and privacy are being attacked under the "War on Terror" banner. Since the general public have so little understanding of computers and networks we have an uphill battle.

You seem to imply that you have a right to access these forums. That is a folly. These forums are provided and maintained as a courtesy by the Gentoo Linux team. You have no right to it whatsoever. It is a gift, not an obligation on our part. And thus we are free to take whatever means we deem necessary to provide optimal, freely given service to the gentoo user community.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
starrbuck
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: There is a reason! Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
You seem to imply that you have a right to access these forums. That is a folly. These forums are provided and maintained as a courtesy by the Gentoo Linux team. You have no right to it whatsoever. It is a gift, not an obligation on our part. And thus we are free to take whatever means we deem necessary to provide optimal, freely given service to the gentoo user community.

Amen! I'm fully in support of the decision to ban Tor and agree 100%.
sgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: I didn't imply that! Reply with quote

Sorry, but I made no such implication. I tried to make it clear that I support the ban at least temporarily for the sake of functioning forums. I perfectly accept that it was making too much moderation work.

There are however good reasons to encourage use of technologies like Tor, and encrypted communication rather that just give up because its too difficult. I was hoping to outline some good reasons - without writing a full philosophy of communication.

I am hoping that in the long / medium term the site developers / admins will be able to find a way to make it work satisfactorily. This isn't a demand. I am a philosopher - as such I tried to point to a worthwhile reason for any work to be done in this area.

I don't mean to imply anything at all in this post, I shouldn't have spouted off about Slashdot in my last post. I hope my point is clear.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: