View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else have a problem with the Overlay when trying to install the gnome-light meta ebuild where gnome-control centre would fail to build on amd64 basically killing any chance of getting the beta going? This happened to me a few weeks ago before Steev started adding ~amd64 keywords and such [God hacking all of the ebuilds manually was truly painful.] to the ebuilds. I had meant to post the specific error on steev's site but every time I clicked the post comment button I would get redirected to fbi.gov of all places. 8O

here is the actual error I got at the time

Code:
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -Wall -o .libs/gnome-settings-daemon factory.o eggaccelerators.o gnome-settings-daemon.o gnome-settings-font.o gnome-settings-mouse.o gnome-settings-multimedia-keys.o gnome-settings-keyboard-xkb.o gnome-settings-keyboard.o gnome-settings-background.o gnome-settings-xsettings.o gnome-settings-locate-pointer.o gnome-settings-sound.o gnome-settings-accessibility-keyboard.o gnome-settings-screensaver.o gnome-settings-default-editor.o gnome-settings-gtk1theme.o gnome-settings-xrdb.o xsettings-common.o xsettings-manager.o gnome-settings-keybindings.o gnome-settings-typing-break.o reaper.o gnome-settings-xmodmap.o list.o xutils.o clipboard-manager.o GNOME_SettingsDaemon-common.o GNOME_SettingsDaemon-stubs.o GNOME_SettingsDaemon-skels.o -Wl,--export-dynamic /usr/lib/libxklavier.so ../libbackground/.libs/libbackground.a ../libsounds/libsounds.a ../libgswitchit/libgswitchit.a ../libwindow-settings/.libs/libgnome-window-settings.so ../gnome-settings-daemon/actions/.libs/libacme.a /usr/lib/libasound.so -pthread -L/usr/lib64 /usr/lib/libesd.so /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-2.so /usr/lib/libgnomeui-2.so /usr/lib/libstartup-notification-1.so /usr/lib/libbonoboui-2.so /usr/lib/libgnomecanvas-2.so /usr/lib/libgnome-2.so /usr/lib/libpopt.so /usr/lib/libart_lgpl_2.so /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so /usr/lib/libbonobo-2.so /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so /usr/lib/libbonobo-activation.so /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so /usr/lib/libglade-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libxml2.so -lpthread /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangox-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so /usr/lib/libfreetype.so /usr/lib/libcairo.so /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so /usr/lib/libpixman.so -lXrender -lXext -lpng12 -lz -lm -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lXxf86misc
../gnome-settings-daemon/actions/.libs/libacme.a(acme-volume.o): In function `acme_volume_new':
acme-volume.c:(.text+0x384): undefined reference to `acme_volume_dummy_get_type'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [gnome-settings-daemon] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/control-center-2.11.90/work/control-center-2.11.90/gnome-settings-daemon'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/control-center-2.11.90/work/control-center-2.11.90/gnome-settings-daemon'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/control-center-2.11.90/work/control-center-2.11.90/gnome-settings-daemon'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/control-center-2.11.90/work/control-center-2.11.90'
make: *** [all] Error 2

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
steevdave
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unfortunately don't have an amd64 machine, another tester who does have amd64 said that everything compiled fine for him (i don't know his name in the forums, he IMed me on AIM) - you might want to update the overlay though.

As a side note to everyone, Gentopia is BACK UP! gtk+ and friends is moving into there, as will be my NetworkManager/dhcp/dhcdbd ebuilds as soon as I get a chance to up them into there. We are focusing on quality in Gentopia, gtk+ has the patch from Gnome's bugzilla that should hopefully fix the problems with totem/sound-juicer and a few other possible apps crashing on the file-chooser.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the reply Steev, I'll go ahead and try the updated overlay hopefully the updates have fixed my particular issue.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
ianwilder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the amd64 tester guy btw. if anyone needs help with steev's ebuilds on amd64 let me know. my aim is "antimatter ian"

shadow skill: have you tried control-center-2.11.91 ? compiles fine here

[ebuild R ] gnome-base/control-center-2.11.91 +alsa -debug +eds +gstreamer -static
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes everything works fine now with the updated ebuild although strangely hal from the overlay still has the evil 5.3 version in it I guess his server isn't snyced properly, and some of the ebuilds had some manifest issues I had to digest them manually [I pulled the overlay around seven or eight pm eastern time friday.] other than that everything seems to be working fine. I do still have some 2.10 packages lingering since I used gnome-light. The only thing I am wondering about is the clipboard manager I can't seem to find that functionality anywhere, is it part of a specific package or something?

ARealNoobOne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi steev,

With the last overlay (20050813-1317):

Code:

root@panther /tmp # emerge -uv --deep world -p

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     UD] dev-libs/glib-2.7.4 [2.7.7] -debug -doc -hardened -static 2,485 kB
[ebuild     UD] x11-libs/cairo-0.6.0 [0.9.0] +X +glitz +png 0 kB
[ebuild     UD] x11-libs/gtk+-2.7.4 [2.7.5] -debug -doc +jpeg -static -tiff 11,490 kB

Any particular reason to downgrade ? Except nasty random firefox / thunderbird crashes the purely GNOME stuff is really fine on my 2 boxes (Athon-XP)...

Just the volume applet playing bad with mouse wheel but that's really minor.

Again thanks for the ebuilds.
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARealNoobOne wrote:

Any particular reason to downgrade ? Except nasty random firefox / thunderbird crashes the purely GNOME stuff is really fine on my 2 boxes (Athon-XP)...

I guess you should have a look @ gentopia for those ebuild.
Your output from emerge tells me that those packages to downgrade to are those in gentoo's portage-tree and not any custom made by steev or gentopia.
I have some memories of steev saying something about this on his hompage.
ARealNoobOne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:
ARealNoobOne wrote:

I guess you should have a look @ gentopia for those ebuild.
Your output from emerge tells me that those packages to downgrade to are those in gentoo's portage-tree and not any custom made by steev or gentopia.
I have some memories of steev saying something about this on his hompage.

You're right: I also 'emerge sync'ed the main tree before unpacking steev's overlay. (apologies for posting too fast, really believed that gtk+-2.7.5 was in steev'tree but anyway I should have checked)

Something changed today because in /etc/portage/package.unmask I had reversed masking of gtk+ and gtkmm with deps:

Code:

# Marinus Schraal <foser@gentoo.org> (31 Jul 2005)
# Development release of gtk+ stack for testing
# and cairo because it breaks API
>=x11-libs/cairo-0.6
>=x11-libs/pango-1.9
>=x11-libs/gtk+-2.7
>=dev-libs/glib-2.7
# Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@gentoo.org> (01 Aug 2005)
# Masked due to masked deps (gtk+|glib)-2.7
>=dev-cpp/glibmm-2.7
>=dev-cpp/gtkmm-2.7

Until today everything was fine but something is requesting for downgrade... having a look at it now...

EDIT: Found it... for some reason the glib-2.7.7 ebuild was removed. dunno why...
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARealNoobOne wrote:
EDIT: Found it... for some reason the glib-2.7.7 ebuild was removed. dunno why...

Well gentopia has a ebuild for gtk+-2.8.0 now so I would go fetch that one if I were you..:-)
ARealNoobOne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:
ARealNoobOne wrote:

Well gentopia has a ebuild for gtk+-2.8.0 now so I would go fetch that one if I were you..:-)

Done now I'm seeing your mail! Of course that's the way to go, but tracking changes in 2 portage trees is harder than only in one in case something very bad happens...

Gonna lauch emerge of Firefox and Thunderbird again tonite on 3 distccd boxes to see if they stop crashing with gtk+-2.8.0 (not really dreaming about it, but may be something lucky will do it... Firefox crashes are killing my nerves, even with the session saver extension ala Galeon)

Hope to hear from you forum mates about successes (or failures :-) with new gentopia, both on desktop and udev/hal !
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARealNoobOne wrote:
Gonna lauch emerge of Firefox and Thunderbird again tonite on 3 distccd boxes to see if they stop crashing with gtk+-2.8.0 (not really dreaming about it, but may be something lucky will do it... Firefox crashes are killing my nerves, even with the session saver extension ala Galeon)

Well since gentopia uses svn it is not so hard to fetch that one (having a script I execute by hand when I want to look for update, not worse than portage).

And Firefox. Are you guys having those crashes often? For me Firefox maybe crashes once a day at a peak currently, but not that often that it really annoys me...
...only time it really happends for me often is with 'Save to disk' that sometimes feels like russian roulette.
ARealNoobOne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:
And Firefox. Are you guys having those crashes often? For me Firefox maybe crashes once a day at a peak currently, but not that often that it really annoys me...
...only time it really happends for me often is with 'Save to disk' that sometimes feels like russian roulette.

Right. I have "random" crashes in Firefox when:
1. I save a .jpg file
2. I open a .jpg in a new tab
3. I save a bookmark

(1 and 2 are not annoying but 3 is _very_ annoying...)

In Thunderbird just adding a new filter rule for message is guaranteed deterministic crash when clicking OK.

When I lauch them from within terminal to see debug output, it's nearly alwasy the well know "double free" pb in glib that is the perpetrator...

For now I'm experimenting a bit more with just ( gtk+2.8.0 , caireo-0.9.2 , glib-2.8.0 ) upgrade instead of ( gtk+2.7.5 , caireo-0.9.0 , glib-2.7.7 ), I wil rebuild FF and TB later to somehow divide the pb into pieces.

OMG!! My desktop has _vastly_ better rendering with latest gtk+/cairo... I wouldn't believe it if wasn't seeing it myself...

Plus the time to bring the desktop from startx (not trying new gdm for now) is reduced too...

I also changed my Firefox theme to "Azerty II"to find if crashes are related to theme drawing (dunno but it costs nothing and Azerty II is nice).

When I open Tools/Themes or Tools/Extensions if Firefox the background of the pop-up dialog is painted in black (previous was white) before the expose event is handled and actual content drawn => there is a light flicker : can't see it on my geforce 6800 box but it's visible on another box with matrox G450 older card (but dual head excellent for xinerama). That's new with gtk+2.8.0 / cairo-0.9.2

And oh... this is from the gentopia overlay afterall :-)) => udev + dbus + hal running fine...
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a guess : Do you build them with gnome use flag ? Maybe building them without it fixes the crashes.
Ansorg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I got it build and running

But how to disable those new visual effects?

The window drop shadows and transparency seem to slow down the desktop and seem to cause C to crash sometimes :(
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ansorg wrote:
The window drop shadows and transparency seem to slow down the desktop and seem to cause C to crash sometimes :(

The windows drops shadows out of the box and has transparancy by default now? Feels like I have to disable my custom xcompmgr command to se if thats really true....
Ansorg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:
Ansorg wrote:

The windows drops shadows out of the box and has transparancy by default now? Feels like I have to disable my custom xcompmgr command to se if thats really true....

I installed the BMG ebuilds that were available until this morning and after everyting got build and I restarted gnome all windows had a small drop shadow and bacame transparent when resizing or moving around.

but the effects where slow and caused X to crash rather frequently.

Finally I figured out where the effects come from: Metacity compiled with USE="bmg"

I rebuild metacity with USE="-bmg" and now the Gnome beta runs solid again
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I can't believe that GNOME 2.12 will not work with composite again. The logout dialog is still unusable together with composite as well ...
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ansorg wrote:
I installed the BMG ebuilds that were available until this morning and after everyting got build and I restarted gnome all windows had a small drop shadow and bacame transparent when resizing or moving around.

but the effects where slow and caused X to crash rather frequently.

Finally I figured out where the effects come from: Metacity compiled with USE="bmg"

I rebuild metacity with USE="-bmg" and now the Gnome beta runs solid again

Ok, now I know what you are talking about.
if you take a look inside of the ebuild for metacity from steev you will see a hardcoded configure-flag for its composite manager (--disable-compositor). I have not had the time to look at it, but my guess is that the bmg-USE-flag enables/disables this option.
I must say that only xcompmgr works pretty solid here running xorg-x11-6.8.99.16. Now xdamage I can't comment, but have had my thoughts about looking into it....
...maybe should test that config-flag out to see if it is solid here or not as my system is somewhat tweaked for composite right now...

Devport wrote:
Damn I can't believe that GNOME 2.12 will not work with composite again. The logout dialog is still unusable together with composite as well ...

There exists a bugreport for this at GNOMEs bugzilla (#157822). Not commented by any devs yet AFAIK but I hope they're working on it...
And the logout-dialouge is not unusable, it just not shows up.:wink:
It is still there, press enter when your screen seems to be locked and you will se things happening, press esc and your session vill resume like you never clicked on logout...
And a fast "killall xcompmgr" before logout (wich I don't have to do that often) seems to be worth the eyecandy...:wink:
steevdave
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have commit access to Gentopia, so I will be posting all Gentopia related things into there from my tree, and since Gnome 2.11.91_pre0 or some such is in the tree (not even close to being complete) I am not going to be focusing on Gnome as much. I really don't use the forums much, I prefer IRC (steev) or aim (realitycomrades) or leaving comments via my website/email to me, I am willing to help out with anyone who has any problems, feel free to ask, but I really need to get to focusing on finishing the ebuild queizes, as well as focusing on some things that are bothering me with NetworkManager so focusing on that as well. Good luck to everyone, and glad to see Gnome 2.12 beta in the tree already.
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parsim wrote:
DeathAndTaxes wrote:
Personally, I think it's retarded to promote a "spatially aware work environment" without the simple option of having each workspace appear differently.

+5 Insightful

0 Flamebait
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bertaboy wrote:
parsim wrote:
DeathAndTaxes wrote:
Personally, I think it's retarded to promote a "spatially aware work environment" without the simple option of having each workspace appear differently.

+5 Insightful

0 Flamebait
I failt to see how any of the quoted text is flamebait, but that is just me.

Anyone have an ati card and get these transparency effects working?

bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steevdave wrote:
Good luck to everyone, and glad to see Gnome 2.12 beta in the tree already.

Question about the beta version that's in Portage now: Is it Beta, or Beta 2? I suppose we could also just wait the 8 days for the RC to come out, 8 days isn't that far away, and I wouldn't imagine them being terribly different from the final 2.12.0 that comes out.
unz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Beta, but for the ones who are updating their overlay with gentopia/BMG it's a downgrade.
In a few days official Beta2 will be out, i don't know when an updated ebuild will be released
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to give in and try out the Gnome-2.12 beta. Things seem a lot faster, and epiphany with deerpark renders pages REALLY fast. Makes me glad to be a gnome user ;).
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unz wrote:
It's Beta, but for the ones who are updating their overlay with gentopia/BMG it's a downgrade.
In a few days official Beta2 will be out, i don't know when an updated ebuild will be released

Let's just take it doesn't take nearly as long for 2.12 to be marked stable compared to 2.10
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: