raid-0 install dual boot Windows XP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totopo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: raid-0 install dual boot Windows XP Reply with quote

Hello,

I have got a new computer with a MSI motherboard (K8N Neo4-54G), it has two SATA hard disks and Windows XP in raid-0.
I would like to install Gentoo and dual boot, but when I boot the LiveCD, by using fdisk I only see the disks separated

I have tried to follow the guide in:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID

but does not give me a clear understanding about the Windows partition and the Linux partition, does someone know how to install Gentoo Linux and still dual boot Windows using raid-0?

Regards
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totopo,

You have a BIOS RAID system, somewhat unkindy called fake raid. RAID come in 3 incompatibe sorts.
    Hardware Raid
    BIOS Raid
    Linux Kernel Raid

A few words about each sort.
Hardare raid is usually only found in servers and its normally a plug in card for a 64 bit PCI bus. The card manages all the drives and data is written to the card only once. The array appears as a single device
BIOS Raid looks like hardware raid but this appearance is faked by the BIOS. This is what you are using for your Windows install now. The drives are put into the raid array the partitioned, so evey partiton is the same raid level.
Kernel raid is also software raid, but it is implemented by the Linux Kernel. Drives are partitioned normally, then the partitions are put into the raid sets, so the same pair of drives can have partitions with different raid levels. This what I have, with raid1 /boot and everything else raid0, except swap, which the kernel can manage.

You have a choice between BIOS raid and kernel raid. If dual booting is a 'must have', thats reduced to BIOS raid. Unforunately, the howto you linked was about kernel raid. You need to start here http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/gen2dmraid/

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
totopo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: raid-0 Reply with quote

Hello,
Thanks very much for the answer.
The dual booting was not necesary at the end, and buying extra hardware is not in my budget, so I was able to install Gentoo using the HOWTO.

Regards
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: