64bit gentoo for P4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitchhiker04
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: 64bit gentoo for P4 Reply with quote

Anyone know how to install 64bit gentoo for the 6xx pentium cpu (or perhaps point me to a faq or install guide on this topic)? and how will the performance be as oppose to using 32bit gentoo?

- thanks
dushkin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, honestly I don't think that the processor you have is 64 bits, which means you will not be able to use 64 bit Gentoo on it, sorry for that.

64-bit processors are extremely efficient so it seems to me, specifically in a 64-bit environment (duh). But as far as I know the only processors supported by Gentoo (or should I say Linux) are the AMD64 series, some Alphas (which I'm sure you don't have), and maybe some PPC's like the G5 (I'm not completely sure about that).

So if you are completely sure that your processor is 64-bits (which I don't think it is) - just follow the guide, it should tell you what to do. Otherwise, if you're not sure or know that your processor is only capable of 32-bits, install Gentoo - again - as the guide tells you.

Good luck!
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intel IA64 might be partially supported as it has a profile in there. Even though that, I do not know how well supported it is.

Pentium 4 with em64t are supported. For these, you can use the amd64 profile.
hitchhiker04
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of performance gain would i see for using amd64 profile instead of x86 on the 6xx cpu?
Is there anyone who's using P4 6xx CPU, if so what kinda installation did you do?
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on AMD64.

Verified, P4 6xx means EM64T. Please, check the following thread, as it will give you detailed information: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-287791.html

AMD64 mods, handle this thread at will.
x_minus_one
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just built 64-bit Gentoo system on Dimension 8400 with Pentium-4 630, along with 32-bit version of Gentoo on another partition, which had been built in chroot environment on Kanotix sometime before. I am happy to announce that both are running very smoothly.

I first installed 64-bit version of SUSE 9.3 on one partition, and built Gentoo from SUSE, starting from stage3. I used genkernel with menuconfig in order to enable Intel SATA support and ca0106 sound driver.

Since I copied most configuration files from 32-bit Gentoo, I was able to have a running KDE desktop when this 64-bit Gentoo was first booted; many packages, including FireFox, were emerged beforehand in chroot environment on SUSE, while I was working on other things.

Until 64-bit version of Kanotix is released, I would recommend installation of SUSE 9.3 on spare partition to bootstrap 64-bit Gentoo. Installation becomes so easy when you have several Midnight Commanders running. If you use AMD64 LiveCD, you are forced to do a lot of typing just to navigate directory trees and copying files. Furthermore, you can't use your computer for other work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: