Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What happens if I have two FTP servers on my network?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: What happens if I have two FTP servers on my network? Reply with quote

Here's a quick summary of my setup at home:

Cable ---> router ---> (1) fileserver running Gentoo, and (2) iMac that I do most of my work on.

Now, I have sshd running on my Gentoo box, and I've activated the FTP server built into OS X on my iMac. My router uses port forwarding to send FTP commands to my iMac, and all ssh to my Gentoo box. The reason for this setup is most times, if I'm away from home, I'll want to access files on my iMac, and I can ssh into my Gentoo box for maintenance.

However, now I'm finding that there are times that I would like to FTP to my Gentoo box.

So what would happen if I set up an FTP server on my Gentoo box, and told my router to also direct FTP commands to my Gentoo box, without shutting down the FTP setup on my iMac? Is this asking for trouble?
ecosta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't forward the same port to two different boxes, it would never know which one to chose from.

Why don't you simple open up a new port on your router say '2121' and forward it to your gentoo on port 21.
Just a thought.
-Ed
Linux user #201331
A8N-SLI Delux / AMD64 X2 3800+ / 1024 MB RAM / 5 x 250 GB SATA RAID 1/5 / ATI Radeon X700 256MB.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: