Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Newbie wants more info on Emerge and Portage :)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casper2601
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Newbie wants more info on Emerge and Portage :) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, hope all is well :)

I am a 4 day old Gentoo user and love it :) I need to build my knowledge bank.

Can someone explain how emerge works in newbie language, basic commands and good practises to keep a clean system (while using emerge) I mean i know how to emerge something, but how can i tell what can be emerged (is there like a databank so i can know whats available)..is that where portage comes in???

Also could i get a newbie explanation on what the following do;

emerge sync
emerge -up world (and -u world)
source /etc/profile

aswell as simple ones ;)
make
make clean
mrproper
and good practises when configuring kernel.
stuff like this, so i have good understanding.

last quick question...what are good command or practises to keep a clean up to date gentoo system.

MASSIVE thanks in advance guys, once I get a bet better (with your help) I plan on helping people whenever I can on this forum.

best regards,
Casper
/etc
Firebirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portage is a system of ebuilds. And ebuilds are scripts that configure, compiles and installs programs on your system.

The portage tree is dynamic, and thus are people writing new and updating old scripts constantly. - In order to be completely up to date, and getting the newest scripts, you have to type, as root,

Code:

emerge rsync

or the similar command
Code:

emerge sync

which connects to a mirror site and updates the entire portage system.

In order to find a package you've heard of somewhere, let's say mozilla you can type
Code:

emerge -s mozilla

which then returns values that has something to do with mozilla.

In order to install you should type
Code:

emerge -p mozilla

which returns the packages to be installed, with dependencies. N means that the programs is New to your system; U means that the package is an Upgrade of a previous package, R means that the program alR?eady is installed on the system, and D means a downgrade.

To install type
Code:

emerge mozilla

to uninstall type
[code]
emerge unmerge mozilla
[\code]

Now every time you do this, the packages installed on your system gets written to
[code]
/usr/portage/current-package
[/code]

In order to update your entire system, you can first write
[code]
emerge -up world
[/code]

to see what packages are to be updated (the -u means update, and -p means pretend). - Now you could just update the ones that you think that you need, or you could take a deep breather and type
[code]
emerge -u world
[/code]
Which offently takes a while (unless you just did that yesterday!)

[code]
source /etc/profile
[/code]
Puts your bash preferences into your shell (this command is not so essential).

For keeping a clean system, the above commands should suffice. - But always remember after an emerge; if portage tells you that there are config-files that needs update, run etc-update. - This will update files in (mainly) /etc that portage don't have access to.

And for your kernel; the best thing to do is to know your computer and tell the kernel what you know about your computer (do a lot of ? commands when setting it up).

Uh, and I'm sure that some of your questions have been raised before. Try searching this forum, for further questions.

-- F. Nietzsche "Thus spoke Zarathustra"
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firebirth, Great response, just had to copy it into a document for future reference!! :)

Thanks for that, after migrating one of my debian machines to gentoo yesterday, this list gives me a good translation of commands that I am used to on debian!!

Thanks

Quick question, does the 'emerge unmerge <app>' command purge the config files for that application as well?

cheers

scooby
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydu wrote:
Firebirth, Great response, just had to copy it into a document for future reference!! :)

Thanks for that, after migrating one of my debian machines to gentoo yesterday, this list gives me a good translation of commands that I am used to on debian!!

Thanks

Quick question, does the 'emerge unmerge <app>' command purge the config files for that application as well?

cheers

scooby

Some directories are protected, such as /etc, and for deleting a package you can use the small version: emerge -C <app>

thus, you should read:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-user.xml

(both of them with practical examples)

and

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml

a lot more can be found here.

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darktux

Thx for the generic information, sure I've scanned alot of that information and couldn't find the answer I was looking for, perhaps there isn't a purge command to overide the /etc protection for an individual package.

I have the protection turned off for the rc.d stuff, but didn't want to take it off completely for obvious reasons.

cheers

scooby
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydu wrote:
darktux

Thx for the generic information, sure I've scanned alot of that information and couldn't find the answer I was looking for, perhaps there isn't a purge command to overide the /etc protection for an individual package.

I have the protection turned off for the rc.d stuff, but didn't want to take it off completely for obvious reasons.

cheers

scooby

It's not generic, it has everything you've asked for..

You can overide the /etc protection by doing CONFIG_PROTECT="" (which is explained on the instalation document), and it will ONLY purge the files directlly related to the program you're purging, if you don't do thigs this way and follow the normal procedure, then there's a tool called etc-update, in case you are updating and not just purging.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml wrote:

Note: The export CONFIG_PROTECT="-*" line ensures that any new scripts installed to /etc will overwrite the old scripts (stored in sys-apps/baselayout), bypassing Portage's new config file management support. Type emerge --help config for more details.

scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi darktux

I already have this setup: CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/wget /etc/rc.d" to allow these to get updated.

Ok, maybe I'm missing something. As far as I can see you are talking about protection for the /etc config files when an application is installed.

The etc-update appears to question whether you want a config file to overwrite the existing one and showsyou the differances.

> My question was about when an application is removed, and whether everything is purged completely when the package is removed or the /etc configs and local /home/<application> configs are all deleted?

Couldn't find that in the FAQ and docs ? ... I'll give it a try and see ..

Apologies for any confusion & thx for your patience 8)
cheers

scoob
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydu wrote:
hi darktux

I already have this setup: CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/wget /etc/rc.d" to allow these to get updated.

Ok, maybe I'm missing something. As far as I can see you are talking about protection for the /etc config files when an application is installed.

The etc-update appears to question whether you want a config file to overwrite the existing one and showsyou the differances.

> My question was about when an application is removed, and whether everything is purged completely when the package is removed or the /etc configs and local /home/<application> configs are all deleted?

Couldn't find that in the FAQ and docs ? ... I'll give it a try and see ..

Apologies for any confusion & thx for your patience 8)
cheers

scoob

You don't have to change anything, CONFIG_PROTECT already has all /etc covered up.

/etc configs wouldn't be deleted because of CONFIG_PROTECT, /home/<application> is just bad implementation, but if you're refering to another dir other then /etc, then the config is most likely to be deleted, unless they're also covered by CONFIG_PROTECT

emerge info wrote:

CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /var/qmail/control /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/3.1/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config"

You can do emerge info to see the currently protected directorys as well as much more info.

casper2601
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats was exactly what i was looking for, thanks so much for the fast, and well explained response. I';m impressed but It really makes sense :)
Jeez what woudl I do without you guys 8O

casper
xgecko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currious question, emerge -u world and emerge -u system only upgrade certain packages, how would I go about updating all packages installed on my system?
Firebirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Currious question, emerge -u world and emerge -u system only upgrade certain packages, how would I go about updating all packages installed on my system?

try
Code:

emerge  -u --deep world

emerge -u system updates part of what is updated with world, so emerge world takes all and more than emerge system. - The --deep option makes portage also update the dependencies that aren't necessary for your packages to run, and that you haven't specifically told to emerge, but still are installed on your system.

-- F. Nietzsche "Thus spoke Zarathustra"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: