Sharkport, USB Networking, or releasing USB devices
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Sharkport, USB Networking, or releasing USB devices Reply with quote

I have a sharkport for my PS2. For those that dont' know what that is, it's a cable and software set that lets me connect my ps2 to my computer and copy game to/from my memory cards to my hard drive.

Unfortunatly the computer software is windows based.

I have a copy of vmware running windows so I can troubleshoot over the phone without restarting, and I was running the sharkport software under win2k in vmware successfully. But after upgrading my kernel I switched options a little bit and now the kernel has a driver that wants to claim the cable and vmware can't claim it.

This brings up lots of questions...

Wine can't run the software because it doens't emulate the drivers -- it needs kernel support. With a little research I found out the cable seems to just be a USB-to-USB networking cable. (Cypress EZ-Link to be exact) Has anyone had any luck making this work under wine using usb-to-usb support in the kernel? Or does anyone have any ideas to help me get it to work? ;)

How do you go about telling linux to quit trying to control a device? I don't want to have to have a kernel that lacks the usb-to-usb support and have to restart just to use the sharkport so if I can't use wine I need to get linux to not claim it so vmware can.

...anyone know any good places to learn how to figure out the protocols used for hardware like this to write custom drivers? ;)

My GPG/PGP Public key
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody with any ideas?

My GPG/PGP Public key
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: