Additional Coordination Needed Internally to Gentoo Project
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Additional Coordination Needed Internally to Gentoo Project Reply with quote

First: The intention of this is NOT to start a flamewar, or to complain about Gentoo in general. The intention is to make an improvement from the end users side to something that needs to be thought about now before it becomes a real situation. This post is about *constructive* feedback to the developers.

I've been a heavy Gentoo user now for more years than I can remember (prior to that I was on RedHat). Throughout this time my experience has been great, and as a developer I apperciate the work of the Gentoo team. There have been a few minor bumps along the road for one reason or another, but considering the pace that Gentoo moves it's a truly remarkable accomplishment. Today, however, there are probably many people who use Gentoo in production or sem-production environements at home and at work or are trying to convince their management that it can be done.

And this is where an issue is starting to surface that some thought/mechanisms need to be put into place.

Issue: From an outsiders perspective (non-Gentoo developer) there is a need for better communication between the developers cutting code/releasing updates and the documentation staff and more importantly the end users when changes to an important component are made that can affect the stability/usability of the users' systems.

Examples:

1. A new baselayout was released not long ago. There was no notification that the upgrading of this would change networking. In fact, for many wireless users who previously had to do home grown mods to get wireless running on boot this killed their network connections with no warning. At the time I didn't know that the new baselayout was the root cause of my broken wireless setup, but I had participated in a thread many months ago that I had a vague memory about where a developer had posted that the wireless setup was going to change so at least I had a clue - others weren't so lucky.

2. In the last few days a change was made to the way genkernel behaves. Not only did it change the naming of the files, but the parameters needed to properly build everything changed without warning. A search of the forums revealed others with the same issues I had, unable to boot a new kernel. Reading one thread pointed to a bug report that had the solution. The bug was posted July 10 and as of this morning (July 16th) the Gentoo Handbook has not been updated with appropraite changes to the main docs.

For both of these, the user had to go to the forums (an EXCELLENT resource) to find solutions/workarounds. Instead, if notification had been given either on the main web page or in the weekly newsletter both problems would have been greatly reduced. Now I'm NOT suggesting that notifications be given for EVERY package (like apache, MySQL, Postgres, etc). Users of 'outside' packages should be aware of any changes to those packages by monitoring the appropriate sites for those packages.

In the case of example number 1 above, I contacted someone that I believed to be a developer and started an offline conversation with him via email. I made the above suggestion and his response was:

Quote:
> Anyhow, I do have one comment: If possible, could an announcement prior
> the a release like this be made?

it was made many times to gentoo-dev / gentoo-user mailing list

> The main Gentoo page, and the weekly
> newsletter would be prime candidate for this.

if you read the last two GWN's you'd see that it was mentioned in both

I went back and looked at the GWN's and here's what I found:

Quote:
May 30th GWN:
baselayout request for testers

...... asks for some testing on the new baselayout 1.11.12-r2, a new and hopefully much better version of the baselayout scipts. Since many things have changed and some things have been modularized there might be some breakage - so if you don't mind potentially wrecking your system and want to help, read the announcement and have fun with it.

and the following weeks GWN had this:

Quote:
Calls for testers

Some packages are undergoing changes that might break things. To keep user frustration low the developers need some feedback on how the new packages behave - what better place to ask than on the developer mailinglist?

* dhcpcd-1.3.22_p4-r10 testing request
* webapp-config v1.11 - call for testers
* baselayout-1.11.12-r2 request for testers

Neither of these announcements warned that it was about to be released on the general population and gave the distinct impression that it was still under development and about to be released soon, not two days later. As soon as I pointed this out the developer stopped communicating with me.

Suggestions: Here are my suggestions that would potentially solve the problem. I'm not saying these are perfect solutions, but if someone on the Gentoo staff would understand the problem (from a user's perspective) and put in place some type of mechanisms I'm sure the users would appreciate it (and make it easier for us to argue with management as to WHY Gentoo CAN be brought in and used without hassle at work).

1. Designate packages that are crucial to the core of the OS that if a change is made (use wise, configuration wise, etc.) it could cause the system not to boot, cause loss of network access, or some other type of major issue.

2. For those packages, IF and WHEN there is a SIGNIFICANT change that will NOT be TRANSPARENT to the users, the developers MUST coordinate with the documentation team and the GWN staff the _prior_ notification (preferably) with appropriate information for the end users so they know ahead of time what to expect, and more importantly what to do in order to recover. The keyword is 'transparent.' If the change will be transparent to the end user then there's no reason to notify the end users. It should ONLY be done in situations where there is a chance that a number of users will experience some type of loss of service.

Thank you.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. I think I agree with pretty much everything you pointed out. One issue is how to reach users, even if the release of new versions of "critical" packages are coördinated with the documentation team and a release notice is created. Maybe portage should get an optional facility for spitting out such announcements that users can enable if they wish to see such notifications. Then when a package like baselayout is emerged and it requires users to do stuff (like editing config files) to keep their system in a functional state, they could be warned of that before the actual emerge of that package.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a great thing to have - someplace where the messages from portage can be spit out to. This would help catch the people that didn't see the prior notifications about changes.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Additional Coordination Needed Internally to Gentoo Proj Reply with quote

drumz wrote:
there is a need for better communication between the developers cutting code/releasing updates and the documentation staff and more importantly the end users when changes to an important component are made that can affect the stability/usability of the users' systems.
Excellent. So, can we assume that you'll be reading mailing lists, hanging out in #gentoo-dev, finding other existing avenues of communication from which to consolidate information, and be the impetus of change toward improved communication? Will you be sending reports to the GWN, or some other outlet(s)? I look forward to seeing the improvements.
Alighieri
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. I suggest a read-only email list or forum or blog site where devs can post notification of significant changes whenever a package gets marked stable (~arch -> arch). The key point is that this channel of communication should not be mixed with any other topics or day-to-day chat.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alighieri wrote:
The key point is that this channel of communication should not be mixed with any other topics or day-to-day chat.
There are already plenty of communication channels. What is lacking, is an aggregator for the "desired" information.
Alighieri
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Additional Coordination Needed Internally to Gentoo Proj Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Excellent. So, can we assume that you'll be reading mailing lists, hanging out in #gentoo-dev, finding other existing avenues of communication from which to consolidate information, and be the impetus of change toward improved communication? Will you be sending reports to the GWN, or some other outlet(s)? I look forward to seeing the improvements.

You missed the point entirely. Those who made the changes are in the best position to concisely inform others what those changes are and what user intervention will be required to integrate those changes into a working system. The main point was that this information is currently scattered among many communication channels, when its provided at all, and so is not effectively communicated to end users.
Alighieri
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Alighieri wrote:
The key point is that this channel of communication should not be mixed with any other topics or day-to-day chat.
There are already plenty of communication channels. What is lacking, is an aggregator for the "desired" information.

I think we're suggesting that some organized mechanism is desirable from the standpoint of effective communication.
Ma3oxuct
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just post such messages in the "News & Announcements" forum here?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alighieri wrote:
I think we're suggesting that some organized mechanism is desirable from the standpoint of effective communication.
OK... so are you volunteering to coordinate the effort to develop that "organized mechanism?"

My point is that suggestions are fine and well, but get nothing done.
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Adding another layer, an intermediary who does NOT know about every single package and the interactions between all packages would still leave a hole. Having another layer working as an aggregator would also add a delay to the whole thing so that a package may be released to the world before the aggregator culls through all the possible places developers may have posted something. Not to mention the aggregator may not fully understand the techincal implications of something the developer did or did not state.

2. A very simple solution would be a web based form the developers would have access to that would allow them to fill out just a few fields. The package name and version and a brief description of what may break for some users. It could also include links to updated documentation, etc., if it's available. A minute or two is all it would take and it could either display on the main web page as a new news entry or have a link along the side/top that the users could check regularly (maybe even RSS). Doing this only invovles one of the web developers for a bit to build the page and put it into place. After that the use and upkeep is hardly anything at all since it won't be used all the time. The impact on the developers would be minimal too. Beyond that the issue is how the deveopers can effectively communicate to the doc people what changes need to be made.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Alighieri wrote:

Create an rss feed for this type of info? Not much of an issue and an easy way (for both the developer and the end user) to communicate/get info.
Alighieri
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

My point is that suggestions are fine and well, but get nothing done.

I agree with you. The problem is the converse is not true. Not suggesting ideas does not get things done either. The old "are you volunteering" refrain is not helpful. People should be encouraged to suggest improvements.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alighieri wrote:
The old "are you volunteering" refrain is not helpful.
Depends on your point of view. If the suggestors aren't considering how their ideas will be implemented...

Alighieri wrote:
People should be encouraged to suggest improvements.
I've never said people shouldn't discuss ideas. I just think its important for people to realize that their ideas aren't necessarily/likely/usually going to be championed by someone else.
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, cool down.

You want implementation ideas? OK, fine, try this for size. Everytime a package maintainer notices that the package has changed significantly in config files, or whatever (Depends on the package), a special entry would be placed on the changelog, which would begin with, lets say, "!!!". The changelog would contain a oneline summary of the change, and a link to someplace (devspace, forum post, migration guide...) with further explanations.

Now, this is obviously only for major changes to existing functionality that have a high chance of breaking. These packages would then have their own symbol in "emerge -p" output (Again, lets say "!", but it can be anything) to mark that they're going to require special attention and that using "--changelog" for them would probably be in order.

If its a system package thats involved (or any package, depends how you want to do it), it will show up on the main page, similar to the GLSA list on f.g.o.

This took me about 5 minutes of thinking. I'm not really familiar with portage internals, but I don't think it'll be very hard to accomplish, if inefficient - A more efficient way would probably involve a variable in the ebuild.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

pjp wrote:
I've never said people shouldn't discuss ideas. I just think its important for people to realize that their ideas aren't necessarily/likely/usually going to be championed by someone else.

Why wouldn't it be possible to announce, that the dev team is looking for someone capable to fill the spot?
To me it seems kinda counterproductive to drop an idea just because the one who had it, isn't able to fulfill it.

And a lot of users are desperate to have a little more insight on what is going on. But some devs seem to have a problem with more transparency, or at least they don't care about it. :(
qmx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why they don't just put a confirmation?

Code:
foo@baz: ~# emerge -vu system
emerging baselayout-xx.xx.xx

Attention: New config scheme! Read /etc/conf.d/net.example

Do you want to continue (may break things) (y/n)? y

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 (just kidding)

and, remember: This net.example is broken. try to configure a vlan and you will start to bark :x

Last edited by qmx on Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pip Wrote:

Quote:
Depends on your point of view. If the suggestors aren't considering how their ideas will be implemented...

In many of the possible solutions presented the impact on the existing people is at a minimum - and wouldn't require another layer of people. So the suggestors have been considering the big picture. You can't jump to the position of automatically adding someone to solve a problem. Often times taking a step back and looking things over will show a minor change that can be made. In this case, combining all of the ideas: If the developers can put a special tag in an ebuild it would be possible to create script that could rip through the ebuilds looking for that tag and build a web page out of it that users could RSS feed from for warnings of updates that may break their system.

Impact:

1. Developers would have to be notified about this and use it.
2. Someone would have to spend a few minutes creating a script to pull the info out and build a page out of it.

So once implemented the developers wouldn't have any extra burden placed on them except to write a few lines of information. Writing the script shouldn't be too hard to do (not sure how the Gentoo architecture for the servers is all handled) and wouldn't need to be fancy - plain text would be fine. And no extra staff would be needed.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qmx wrote:

Code:
foo@baz: ~# emerge -vu system
emerging baselayout-xx.xx.xx

Attention: New config scheme! Read /etc/conf.d/net.example

Do you want to continue (may break things) (y/n)? y

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 (just kidding)

and, remember: This net.example is broken. try to configure a vlan and you will start to bark :x

Can't. Updates are often done in bulk and can't be interactive. Not everyone is at the keyboard of the computer they're updating.

I think News and Announcements would be one ideal place for bulletins like this. I often see details about upcoming rough spots and requests for testers posted by devs on gentoo-dev@g.o. If they can take the time to warn their peers about possible trouble, why is it they can't take a second to CC it to gentoo-announce@g.o? This doesn't require extra staff and just a little extra effort, and comes straight from the source. Could forum topics be automagically generated from messages to the mailing list? Or could a web form be used as drumz suggests to generate announcements? How does GLSA go about posting their security bulletins, which appear in multiple channels, and can this be built upon?
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This situation looks a lot like the ones in GLSA, both want to prevent and inform the user that their system might go down if they don't take a proactive stance and solve their problems before these have the chance to occur. Agreeing with that the others said, GLSA infrastructure could be used in this case to handle this problem. Even considering the problem/breakage have already occured, we would be able able to recover faster since the information about it would be widely available.

With those announcements, it would be easier to make heavy but necessary changes in Gentoo. Most of us will be aware of them and make the transition to these changes painless. A perfect place to tell everyone "We will change stuff in the next week so be prepared!", and put a link to the walkthrough.

More users doing what the developers tell them to do = happier developers.

How to implement it? Have the developer fill a bugzilla-like form, but instead of the problem give the solution. Press Submit button and it will be sent to the proper emails, mailing lists, forums, RSS feeds, pagers, snail mail, and everyone else who want it.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this topic is also being discussed on the dev mailing list right now so i threw them a link to this thread. hopefully we can get some constructive discussion going between the two, or at least get an idea of what they would consider implementing.

i don't think anyone disagrees that this would be beneficial to both devs and users (less bug reports for the former, less frustration for the latter). what we have to figure out is how to go about it.
jasperbg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyepic wrote:

qmx wrote:

Can't. Updates are often done in bulk and can't be interactive. Not everyone is at the keyboard of the computer they're updating.

So only show the confirmation when --ask was used at the command line, since you can reasonably assume that the user is there then. You could do the confirmations as soon as 'y' is hit at the --ask prompt, rather than waiting till you start to emerge that package, to make sure they haven't gotten bored and left.

When --ask isn't used, list all of the warnings (things like "make sure you read /etc/conf.d/this_package_breaks") when the *whole* emerge process has finished, not just at the end of that package. That way they don't get lost in the middle of masses of scrolling information.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: