emerging the latest autoconf (2.53a) fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fingolfin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: emerging the latest autoconf (2.53a) fails Reply with quote

I was having problems getting autoconf/automake working with KDevelop as mentioned in this post. The versions of autoconf and automake that I had installed were 2.52d-r1 and 1.5d-r2 respectively. When I noticed an update to autoconf in the portage tree, I thought maybe that would fix my KDevelop problems, but emerge autoconf failed. Here is the beginning and end of the output:

Code:

fingolfin root # emerge autoconf
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge sys-devel/autoconf-2.53a to /
>>> md5 ;-) autoconf-2.53a.tar.bz2
>>> md5 ;-) autoconf-2.13.tar.gz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking autoconf-2.53a.tar.bz2
>>> Unpacking autoconf-2.13.tar.gz
Making all in m4sugar
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/autoconf-2.53a/work/autoconf-2.53a/lib/m4sugar'
../../tests/autom4te                            \
        --language=m4sugar                      \
        --freeze                        \
        --include=./..          \
        --include=..                    \
        --output=m4sugar.m4f
autom4te: need GNU m4 1.4 or later: /usr/bin/m4
make[2]: *** [m4sugar.m4f] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/autoconf-2.53a/work/autoconf-2.53a/lib/m4sugar'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/autoconf-2.53a/work/autoconf-2.53a/lib'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 11, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on  /usr/portage/sys-devel/autoconf/autoconf-2.53a.ebuild .

[/url]

I tried unmerging autoconf and automake and then emerging again. That also failed and left me with no installed autoconf. I had to unmask the older versions in package.mask and downgrade to autoconf-2.52d-r1 and automake-1.5-r1. These are the latest version I could emerge without failing. I was hoping this was a common problem so it would be fixed soon, but I haven't seen any posts about it. I hope somebody knows how to fix this, because I don't.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need /usr/bin/m4 it's in package m4-1.4p, like stated in the depend portion of the autoconf package. Maybe something went wrong with that package, was m4 installed????? did it compile?????. Worked fine for me, so can't say what's wrong.

Sorry lX.
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
You need /usr/bin/m4 it's in package m4-1.4p, like stated in the depend portion of the autoconf package.

It is installed, or it was when I had the problem.

You are running gcc3 aren't you? GCC3 doesn't get along well with portage's libsandbox, and causes some stuff later down the road. I reverted back to gcc 2.95.3 just a few days ago, and I no longer have that problem.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
You are running gcc3 aren't you? GCC3 doesn't get along well with portage's libsandbox, and causes some stuff later down the road.

I am using GCC 3.1 and it compiled fine :D, so that can't be the problem or is it?????. Sorry can't answer, hope you get it working,

Cya Alex.
Fingolfin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: Not running gcc3, and m4 is installed. Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that m4 was installed in my post. I don't know why it says it isn't. As for gcc I am running 2.95.3-r5. BTW, I tried KDevelop again and it works now, but I'd still like to know why the latest autoconf doesn't emerge...
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
Nitro wrote:
You are running gcc3 aren't you? GCC3 doesn't get along well with portage's libsandbox, and causes some stuff later down the road.

I am using GCC 3.1 and it compiled fine :D, so that can't be the problem or is it?????. Sorry can't answer, hope you get it working,

When did you convert to gcc 3.1? Did you rebuild *all* your packages after upgrading gcc 3.1?

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: gcc Reply with quote

I was about to say that I had never had gcc 3 on my system, but I just remembered that I did compile gcc 3.1 manually (I didn't use emerge). I symlinked my gcc executable to gcc 3.1 and emerged something just to see if it would work (it did). I think all I emerged with it was xine, nothing really important, and then I changed gcc back to 2.95. If this is in fact the cause of my problem, then what would I have to re-emerge? I just tried re-emerging m4 and that didn't fix it...
Fingolfin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: I figured it out. Reply with quote

I just figured out that I still had my gcc-3.1/lib directory in ld.so.conf. I removed that, and had to remerge portage (don't ask me why, maybe I emerged it with 3.1 and forgot...) and now autoconf installs fine. So I have the latest autoconf and automake now. Everything works perfect, wright? Wrong! KDevelop gives errors (listed below) again when creating a new project. I'll post this on my message about kdevelop in the programming section here.

BTW, that message above is mine, forgot to login. Oops.

Code:

*** Creating acinclude.m4
!!! If you get recursion errors from autoconf, it is advisable to set the
environment variable M4 to something including "--nesting-limit=500"
*** Creating list of subdirectories
*** Creating configure.in
*** Creating aclocal.m4
*** Creating configure
configure.in:103: error: m4_popdef: undefined macro: AC_Dest
../autoconf/status.m4:831: AC_CONFIG_FILES is expanded from...
configure.in:103: the top level
make[1]: *** [cvs] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
*** failed ***

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: