WolfET strategies?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m0p
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: WolfET strategies? Reply with quote

I am rather new to WolfET, and suck quite hard at it. My current habit is to go cvops and use the FG42, but I still suck. I practice at least 2 hours a day, or whenever I have some spare time, but I still can't get any better. Can anyone offer my some tips?
v3rtigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

practice as much as you can :D

thats the only thing that will make you a better player, but i would suggest to take some other class or waepon, if you want to play covert ops take the sniper, for started i think you would like to play with engineer and smg/rifle.

and if you want you can join #gentoo.et and play with us sometimes.
Mekoryuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing any FPS, I usually play a coward's game, which almost always turns up with me doing rather well. So the first piece of advice: COWARDICE IS NOT SHAMEFUL. Discretion is the better part of valor. With that out of the way...

When using the sniper rifle, consider each bullet precious. There's always time to aim for the head.

Pay attention to where enemies are and where battles tend to be fought (don't fret if you have to die a few times in order to find these locations out). STAY OUT OF THESE AREAS. Sit back a safe distance where cover is easy to escape to. Go prone and pick off whoever you can. Also, there's always the popular grenade-toss-and-run.

When playing a medic, revive, revive, revive! Even in the middle of a gunfight, if you see one of your teammates go down, stop shooting and revive him. Although you'll most likely end up getting killed, you'll gain experience and raise your rank as a medic quickly, so you can gain access to the full revive syringe, which will help your team immensely.

When playing a covert op and you've got someones clothing on, make sure you've equipped your pistol so it's less obvious you have the wrong weapon for your class. ;)

NEVER hold down the fire button. The longer you hold it down, the more inaccurate your weapon becomes. Instead, click rapidly to squeeze off shots, aiming for the head.

LISTEN for when your enemy reloads. Even if your primary weapon isn't loaded either, pull out your pistol, or prime a grenade and GO AFTER HIM.

A somewhat more risky tactic is to toss a grenade into a room with a known enemy inside, then rush inside to take him out (and hopefully take cover before the grenade goes off). When your enemy first sees the grenade, they'll freak out and try to take cover. They won't be so prepared when you suddenly rush inside and plug 'em in the head.

It is always better to be chased than to chase. Try to lure the enemy away deeper into your teams territory if possible, backpedaling and firing at them, or leaving a nice trail of grenades.

Never stay in one spot for long, especially if you're manning a MG nest. Take a few out with the MG, then hide in a nearby location that affords a view of the enemy approaching the MG nest again. Their worry will be on the nest and not your new location. Repeat as often as necessary.

Immediately after arming dynamite at a goal location, drop a few grenades beside it. More often than not you'll have just barely armed it when the enemy arrives, so before you're taken out, and the enemy team's engineers rush towards the dynamite to defuse it... make sure there's a present waiting for them. :)

And of course, "practice makes perfect". Happy fragging!
Darkael
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: WolfET strategies? Reply with quote

m0p:
Don't use the fg42, it's not really a good weapon. Actually, for a beginner I don't think covert ops is a good class to start at all. I think you should take a medic or an engineer instead, because with these class even if you can't kill anyone, you will still be useful for your teamates :D.

And if you want to improve your fighting skills, it's true that regular practice helps a lot, but there are some little tips which can help you:
- enable hit sounds: some people find hitsounds very annoying, but it helps a lot to improve your accuracy, especially if you are a beginner
- try to always aim the head
- don't stay immobile when you are in a fight, or you will be an easy target

Also, learn the objectives of the maps by heart, if you don't want to be lost in a game. And try to play on servers where the level is not too high (i.e. don't go on servers where half of the players are rambo medics with 50% accuracy...)
v3rtigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mekoryuk wrote:

NEVER hold down the fire button. The longer you hold it down, the more inaccurate your weapon becomes. Instead, click rapidly to squeeze off shots, aiming for the head.

The spread in et does not effected from it, you can hold the fire button for 30 minutes and it still will be accurate.

/edit
And if you really want to learn more about tweeking, scripting or anything else you can try this site,
It's really good site for ppl who just started to play et.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way for those new to the game to get better is definitely not to snipe. Be a medic or field ops, where you can get easy xp with your medi- and ammo-packs. Stick behind the main pack of players and support them. The key to ET is working with other players. A group containing a medic and a field ops can be self-sufficient and literally survive for an entire game if you work together.

Also knowing the maps helps, but you can only know the maps from playing them regularly.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
nightmarez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this site which is currently offline, but will be online again soon: http://www.et-strategy.uni.cc/
here you find everything about ET ... from trickjump tips to map guides, etc.
m0p
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've read the stuff on that Unnoficial Guide Site and made myself a little config script. Everything is fine, except the fov script does nothing, neither does the crosshair thing. Can anyone help me fix that? Although, the spawn point changer is useful on some maps, and so is the pmove thing for trickjumping :) Can anyone here help me fix up the broken scripts?

Code:
// Set Name
seta name "^7m0p^1X"

// Custom binds
bind O "teammenu"
bind P "classmenu"

// Graphics

seta r_glDriver "libGL.so.1"
seta r_allowextensions "1"
seta com_maxfps "90"
seta r_picmip "0"
seta r_picmip2 "0"
seta cg_wolfparticles "1"
seta cg_atmosphericeffects "0"
seta r_gamma "1.5"
seta r_intensity "1.1"
seta r_mapoverbrightbits "2"
seta r_dynamiclight "1"
seta cg_shadows "1"
seta r_finish "0"
seta r_detailtextures "1"
seta r_subdivisions "4"
seta r_texturemode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
seta r_fastsky "0"
seta r_stencilbits "8"
seta r_flares "1"
seta r_colorbits "32"

seta r_vertexlight "0"

seta r_texturebits "32"

seta r_depthbits "24"
seta cg_fov "105"
seta cg_gibs "1"
seta cg_bloodDamageBlend "1"

seta com_blood "1"

seta cg_showblood "1"
seta r_glIgnoreWicked3D "1"
seta r_drawfoliage "1"
seta r_ati_fsaa_samples "2"

seta r_ati_truform_tess "1"
seta r_ext_texture_filter_anisotropic "2"

seta r_ext_compiled_vertex_array "1"
seta r_drawsun "1"
seta r_ext_ATI_pntriangles "1"
seta r_ati_truform_normalmode "GL_PN_TRIANGLES_NORMAL_MODE_LINEAR"
seta r_ati_truform_pointmode "GL_PN_TRIANGLES_POINT_MODE_LINEAR"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customheight "864"
seta r_customwidth "1152"
seta cg_coronas "1"
seta cg_coronafardist "12000"
seta r_lodbias "0"

// Other stuff

seta g_antilag "1"
seta cl_maxpackets "50"
seta snaps "30"
seta rate "15000"
seta cg_lagometer "1"
seta cg_drawFPS "1"
seta b_drawclock "1"
seta b_drawranks "1"
seta cg_drawRoundTimer "1"
seta cg_drawReinforcementTime "1"

// Spawnpoint Script

set spawn0 "setspawnpt 0; set cycle vstr spawn1; echo Spawning at Spawn point 0"
set spawn1 "setspawnpt 1; set cycle vstr spawn2; echo Spawning at Spawn Point 1"
set spawn2 "setspawnpt 2; set cycle vstr spawn3; echo Spawning at Spawn Point 2"
set spawn3 "setspawnpt 3; set cycle vstr spawn4; echo Spawning at Spawn Point 3"
set spawn4 "setspawnpt 4; set cycle vstr spawn0; echo Spawning at Spawn Point 4"
set cycle vstr spawn0

bind "F5" "vstr cycle"

// Crosshair Size

set CH_Small "set cg_crosshairSize 24"
set CH_Normal "set cg_crosshairSize 38"
bind MOUSE3 "+vstr CH_Small CH_Normal"

// FOV Changer

bind "F6" "vstr fdn"
bind "F7" "vstr fup"
set fdn vstr fov90
set fup vstr fov95
set fov90 "cg_fov 90;set fdn vstr fov90;set fup vstr fov95;echo fov 90"
set fov95 "cg_fov 95;set fdn vstr fov90;set fup vstr fov100;echo fov 95"
set fov100 "cg_fov 100;set fdn vstr fov95;set fup vstr fov105;echo fov 100"
set fov105 "cg_fov 105;set fdn vstr fov100;set fup vstr fov110;echo fov 105"
set fov110 "cg_fov 110;set fdn vstr fov105;set fup vstr fov115;echo fov 110"
set fov115 "cg_fov 115;set fdn vstr fov110;set fup vstr fov120;echo fov 115"
set fov120 "cg_fov 120;set fdn vstr fov115;set fup vstr fov125;echo fov 120"

// Pmove on/off

bind "F8" "vstr pmove"
set fixed0 "set pmove vstr fixed1;seta pmove_fixed 1 ;echo pmovefixed on ;"
set fixed1 "set pmove vstr fixed0;seta pmove_fixed 0 ;echo pmovefixed off ;"
set pmove "vstr fixed0"

I've practiced some various trickjumps, they are fun. Thanks to the Pmove script.

EDIT: Hmm, found out why some of it wasn't working. It completely ignored some of the binds. Exec'ing it by hand did the trick.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: