Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaZoR1394
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thank you, I already have. I'm already running the CPU's Vcore and the memory's voltage to their highest while staying within the operating specs to not invalidate the warranty. And as I have already said, my memory is fine, I am running it with the settings given by one of the OCZ employess (who, as well, has given corrections that I am already using). Wouldn't want to invalidate the warranty now, would we?

I don't know how much I have to stress that the chances of it being a problem with hardware/settings is slim to none at this point; there was someone in #gentoo-amd64 that agreed.

Ok, I didn't know you've been in contact with DFI, hehe. I believe Glibc is one of the packages that easily breaks when the settings aint perfectly stable. Have you tried an unstable kernel like 2.6.12-r6? I believe I had some major problems with either r4 or r5.
RaZoR1394
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thank you, I already have. I'm already running the CPU's Vcore and the memory's voltage to their highest while staying within the operating specs to not invalidate the warranty. And as I have already said, my memory is fine, I am running it with the settings given by one of the OCZ employess (who, as well, has given corrections that I am already using). Wouldn't want to invalidate the warranty now, would we?

I don't know how much I have to stress that the chances of it being a problem with hardware/settings is slim to none at this point; there was someone in #gentoo-amd64 that agreed.

Ok, I didn't know you've been in contact with DFI, hehe. I believe Glibc is one of the packages that easily breaks when the settings aint perfectly stable. Have you tried an unstable kernel like 2.6.12-r6? I think I had some major problems with either r4 or r5.
nekranos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a go (i686 and -march=athlon-xp) after I back up my files from Windows.

RaZoR1394 wrote:
Have you tried an unstable kernel like 2.6.12-r6?

I did when I did a stage3 and tried an emerge -e world to try to rebuild everything with the changes I made to make.conf (-O2 -pipe, use flags). Still died at the same spot when compiling GCC. I can't try a new kernel when doing a stage1 because, well, there's no newer LiveCD...
m0p
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFI boards have really buggy BIOS. I went through about 4 BIOS revisions before I found a stable one. The unstable BIOSes for DFI boards always have memory related issues.
nekranos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Ugh Reply with quote

m0p wrote:
DFI boards have really buggy BIOS. I went through about 4 BIOS revisions before I found a stable one. The unstable BIOSes for DFI boards always have memory related issues.

I'm running 6/23 (the latest official and stable BIOS) at the moment. I don't use the beta releases and haven't experienced any major issues with either 3/10 (except for no Cool'N'Quiet due to lack of proper Venice support) or 6/23.

A lot of people on DFI-Street use 5/10-2 and 5/10-3 (both beta) because they work well with BH-5 and TCCD/TCC5, respectively. Go figure. ;)

Two things that I found out today:
1. My system won't boot with the x86-minimal LiveCD. Bollocks.
2. GCC has (EDIT: SUCCESSFULLY) bootstrapped (EDIT 2: IN x86, NOT amd64) with -O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe, i686, LiveCD kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r3-k8. It's gotten farther (EDIT: and finished bootstrapping) than it did with -O2 -march=athlon64 -pipe, x86_64.

So...yeah. I'm confused at this point as to why amd64 won't compile.

Last edited by nekranos on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
m0p
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, an overclocker type here. DFI are great boards, it's just ashame their BIOSes suck. The LP NF4 boards seemed very "rushed", they were talking about bringing out a new version of it, with some new features, but I don't know how long it'll be until we start seeing them

EDIT: BH-5 is good stuff! I get 270MHz/2-2-2-5 at 3.75v out of my old-skool Winbond stuff.
nekranos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0p wrote:
The LP NF4 boards seemed very "rushed", they were talking about bringing out a new version of it, with some new features, but I don't know how long it'll be until we start seeing them

I saw an image of the revised board over on DFI-Street a while back. Looks like they just moved all four DIMM slots around to the adjacent side (to the right) of where the CPU goes. Other than that, they (DFI staff)'re keeping mum.

m0p wrote:
BH-5 is good stuff! I get 270MHz/2-2-2-5 at 3.75v out of my old-skool Winbond stuff.

Yeah, so I hear. Maybe I should've gotten some of the OCZ Gold modules instead of the Platinum Rev. 2 sticks and saved myself a bit of cash since I'm not doing any overclocking and people say that this stuff is geared towards those that do. Newegg sent me the cheaper stuff (the TCC5 instead of TCCD) but I guess I don't mind. What works, works, right? ;)

I see that the bug that I linked earlier has been marked as a duplicate. This is the new bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73422

Any developers out there with a quick explaination on why it's failing with x86_64? I'd love to submit the preprocessed source like the error says to, but, like I said earlier, the kernel dies pretty quickly after GCC segfaults so I can't pull anything off of it.
FDK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys, im author of this topic - https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-350156.html and i cant solved this problem at this time too =\
Im trying to downoclock my cpu,memory - reset BIOS setting to optimized defaults and try to install system from stage3:
my cpu work at 9x200=1800 - default,memory 1:1 DDR400 (downclock)
i can emerge gcc 3.4.4 but cant emerge glibc - has segfault error =\
also i try to use different versions of BIOS - same result.
nekranos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for original topic that I posted.
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pufff.i have same problem....everything was working fine (using this system for 7-8 months) i didnt update anything.i tried to compile diffrent cflags and i m having the same error with you..not a hardware issue m sure....

Anyone can put a multlib gcc 3.4.4 binary ? i cannot compile anything and need it badly
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i solved this..

http://dev.gentoo.org/~azarah/bins/

get amd64 binary untar change compiler.and then emerge gcc.again change it : )
nekranos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noyan wrote:
i solved this..

http://dev.gentoo.org/~azarah/bins/

get amd64 binary untar change compiler.and then emerge gcc.again change it : )

I don't see how that solves my problem when I'm trying to bootstrap the system from scratch and gcc can never manage to rebuild itself no matter what compiler or stage I use to build from.
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get gcc binary from there and untar(READ README THERE)

then gcc-config gccversion and change gcc.then bootstrap.when u emerge gcc.change gcc again.last one.u emerged.then bootstrap again and go
nekranos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noyan wrote:

then gcc-config gccversion and change gcc.then bootstrap.when u emerge gcc.change gcc again.last one.u emerged.then bootstrap again and go

Nekranos wrote:
and gcc can never manage to rebuild itself no matter what compiler or stage I use to build from

Nor is that a real solution, IMO. I should be able to just go scripts/bootstrap.sh and let it have at it.
Noyan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekranos wrote:
Noyan wrote:

Nekranos wrote:
and gcc can never manage to rebuild itself no matter what compiler or stage I use to build from

Nor is that a real solution, IMO. I should be able to just go scripts/bootstrap.sh and let it have at it.

are u kidding?

when u emerge -C gcc,

can u tell me e REAL solution to that solution!!!!

two are the same ok?

i said i had this problem.yup gcc never rebuild itself.cuz of that we are using binary to rebuild it.
nekranos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noyan wrote:
can u tell me e REAL solution to that solution!!!!

I don't know, "R U"!!!! Maybe I'm in the same camp as JWZ is - I'd like to use an OS where everything just works without having to kick it into a bloody pulp before it decides to start working, "ok"?

And FYI - your "solution" still doesn't work here.

:roll: Gosh.
nekranos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping again.
Somy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try bootstrapping with "command per clock" set to 2T in bios
Had the same problem, this worked for me... gcc is really sollicitating the memory controller unlike prime or memtest
If it works try a newer cpu and/or wait for a new DFI bios

For the record
- Gear taht had the problem whatever bios, ram timing, or packages version at 1T but worked at 2T: amd64 3500+ (Hammer)/OCZ4661024ELDC-K
- Gear that doesn't have problem now : amd64 3700+ (San diego)/same RAM (at FSB233 and tight ram timings

HTH
sir_tez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experiencing basically the same problem, not being able to compile gcc or glibc, I'm only using an athlon 2700 xp. Trying to eliminate causes here. I've been trying to reinstall gentoo because it started happening on my running gentoo system... BAD IDEA, because now I can't bootstrap or compile anything (like system or world) that requires me to compile gcc or glibc. I have a feeling that it may or may not be power related, but this compilation stuff only started happening around the time of glibc 2.3.5's arrival.
sir_tez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, er, Stage3.... emerge --sync just segfaulted!!! 8O
nekranos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_tez wrote:
I'm experiencing basically the same problem, not being able to compile gcc or glibc, I'm only using an athlon 2700 xp. Trying to eliminate causes here. I've been trying to reinstall gentoo because it started happening on my running gentoo system... BAD IDEA, because now I can't bootstrap or compile anything (like system or world) that requires me to compile gcc or glibc. I have a feeling that it may or may not be power related, but this compilation stuff only started happening around the time of glibc 2.3.5's arrival.

This is AMD64. You want this forum instead for x86?

Somy wrote:
Try bootstrapping with "command per clock" set to 2T in bios

Rather not do that, performance hit, but, I'll try it.

Somy wrote:
If it works try a newer cpu and/or wait for a new DFI bios

$$$ for the first, never for the second - DFI is slow at releasing stable BIOS to people
nekranos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck it. I'm going to go run Ubuntu x86 through VMWare Workstation in Windows instead.
FDK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somy
I have proccessor with new kernel and with updated memory controller in it (Venice kernel) - but have same problems ...
Anybody trying other OS with amd64 support ?!
Somy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDK wrote:
Somy
I have proccessor with new kernel and with updated memory controller in it (Venice kernel) - but have same problems ...

What bios version? is your memory tccd or bh5-ch5?
if tccd pm me with your bios settings, I'll compare to mines...
FDK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somy, bios is 623 from DFI official web site, but i dont know what kind of memory chip i have, cant remove memory radiators because i lost vendors garantie =\
System stable at 2520Mhz and 230Mhz memory 3-4-4-8-1T timings - prime95 - 8hours without any error,superPI 32M and 3dmark05 too ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: