Gentoo on a Quad PPro or SGI Indy?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pasoa2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:16 am    Post subject: Gentoo on a Quad PPro or SGI Indy? Reply with quote

So I've got two machines sitting in my basement right now...

1) A Quad (ALR Quad6) Pentium Pro (200 Mhz, 1MB Cache, 4 Chips) with 256 MB 4-way interleaved RAM. What's the opinion on performace this machine would give? Comparable to say.... a PIII 500? Or not at all?

2) Next question - anyone know anything about possible MIPS support? I'd love to get gentoo to compile onto the indy, it's such a ncie box, but I don't really care for IRIX....
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a Quad PPro or SGI Indy? Reply with quote

Pasoa2000 wrote:
1) A Quad (ALR Quad6) Pentium Pro (200 Mhz, 1MB Cache, 4 Chips) with 256 MB 4-way interleaved RAM. What's the opinion on performace this machine would give? Comparable to say.... a PIII 500?

Maybe, in terms of overall throughput, but each individual thread (and most apps are single-threaded) will act like it's running on a 200 (because it is). It'd be a great little web server, though.
Pasoa2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so "little though" ;-)

Take a look at some pictures of "trinity" here :

http://studentweb.providence.edu/~slinco01/ALR/alr_quad6.htm
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it's a freakin' huge web server (I have a retired dual-CPU IBM box, and it's also beast), but it's "little" in the sense of serving capability compared to, say, an Athlon XP 1800+, a Pentium 4 2.2 GHz (GCC3, ya know), or my desktop (dual P3 1.0 GHz). Still can't compete with big numbers.

I wouldn't try to make it a desktop, but it would work well in a highly-multithreaded environment (such as being a web server or database server). Actually, pretty much any server deployment should work well.
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

actually I am curious too about getting gentoo onto something different then alpha ppc or i86. What if I allready have linux running on it, and go from there by starting with bootstrapping etc? I did this ones to convert a redhad (i86) server into a gentoo server by installing gentoo on a second hard drive using the redhat install as bootstrap, so I didn't use any binairies from the gentoo install, or did I? Now that I think about it, during the bootstrap I mountend the gentoo cdrom and chrooted into it, so i probably used the gentoo gcc and binutils :( . But if I link these from the original linux install, I should be able to bootstrap, can this be done? or are packages i86 ppc and alpha specific?

greetz Ozy
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: MIPS Reply with quote

I do not like IRIX much at all....however, I love Gentoo Linux. I have an SGI Octane and would love to get Gentoo running on it. What are the chances of someone much wiser than me stringing a Gentoo version together for MIPS-based processors?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving to gentoo suggestions since the predominant topic of this thread is a MIPS port of Gentoo.

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozymandias wrote:
actually I am curious too about getting gentoo onto something different then alpha ppc or i86.

Just a point of clarification. Gentoo currently runs on x86, ppc, SPARC and SPARC64. AFAIK, there are no plans to port it to Alpha or MIPS. There is currently an effort to port Gentoo over to an s390, though. Once that is done, we can all install Gentoo on those spare mainframes we have sitting around collecting dust. ;)

--kurt
Simba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: s390 ? Reply with quote

hey, is there any progress with gentoo on s390? we have s390 running with
suse 7.0 , but I am not so happy with this dist. also I would like to try gentoo
on this big machine. or can I help something? :)

cahya
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: