Any Success configuring a Microsoft wireless adapter MN-520
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Any Success configuring a Microsoft wireless adapter MN-520 Reply with quote

Just got this for free - which is why i'm using it :)

Compiled the linux-wlan-ng (i have done this before with linksys and all worked). However, not on 1.4 rc2 i cannot get it to work for the life of me. Can't even get wlan0 to show up. Tried everything including copying over net.eth0 to net.wlan0 ----- no go. Going nuts here.

Searched the forums, google...etc. Everything i have tried has not worked.

and yes, the latest build of the wlan project supports this card :)

Thanks
Slinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit more info - it is a pcmcia card. I follow all the directions to a TEE. Whent the wlan script runs i get the following:

Starting WLAN Devices:wlanctl-ng: No such device
Faield to enable the device, exitcod=1
grep: /proc/net/p80211/wlan0/wlandev: No such file or directory
wlanctl-ng: No such device
dot11PrivacyOptionImplemented mibget failed.
wlanctl-ng: No such device
error: Autojoin indicated failure!
Slinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone use this card yet and have issues?
CodeHacker84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Problem with wireless NIC Reply with quote

Alright, I'm studying for the A+ exams, unfortunately they don't cover networking very well as that is the domain of Net+. I have got the same damn problem with my Netgear MA401 PCMCIA NIC. Damn thing won't come up, even if I have all of the driver modules modprobed, and I've run the init script about ten or twelve times, stopping and restarting. Doesn't work.

I'm using a Vanilla 2.4.20 kernel with an ACPI patch newer than that used in the 2.4.20-gentoo-r1 kernel, and linux-wlan-ng package version 0.2.1-pre1
HELP!!!
CoolerMaster WaveMaster (Black)
Antec TruePower 550W
120 GB WD SATA Drive
160 GB WD PATA Drive
54x32x54 CD-R/RW
Dual head: ATI 9800 AiW/LG1720P && Voodoo3 PCI/IBM G40 CRT
CodeHacker84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* bump *

Anybody alive in here anymore?

I've tried everything I can think of. I've booted from the LiveCD even. There's just nothing that works. Here's are the only things that I haven't considered:

:evil: Virus infection 8O (I don't know, what's the word on Linux viruses?)
:evil: Borked backward compatibility (For some reason the thing has trouble with the module "i82365")
:evil: Bad hardware :cry: (entirely possible, the damn Toshiba piece of crap :twisted: has been running at about 65*C since I got it)

Anyone else having trouble with a Netgear MA401 PC wireless card? If not, what are you doing that I'm not?

Any comments? Please?!
Antec TruePower 550W
120 GB WD SATA Drive
160 GB WD PATA Drive
54x32x54 CD-R/RW
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible you have a cardbus card, but only a 16 bit PCMCIA slot? Also, see if the card shows up using the cardctl utility (run "cardctl status").
CodeHacker84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Possible solution Reply with quote

Ok, after pondering this one for the better part of three days, I tried one last recompile of the drivers and I realized something, as it went scrolling up the screen: the ./Configure step of the ebuild for linux-wlan-ng was replying with a negative when the Configure script asked if it should build a card services (*_cs) driver for the card. AHA!!

So here's what I did: I typed "emerge linux-wlan-ng" as normal, except I interrupted it directly after it finished unpacking the sources by hitting Ctrl-C. After that, I proceeded to /var/tmp/portage/linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1_pre1/work/linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1_pre1/ (or something like that) and ran the ./Configure step myself. I replied in the affirmative to building the card services driver, said yes for the PLX driver (don't ask me why, maybe it's more important than I think, so that's why I'm including that little annecdote), and then answered all of the other questions by simply striking Return.
Following that, I also completed the "make all", "make install", and "make clean" steps myself. However, I have not removed the directories yet, for fear that it might disable the damn wireless card again (after I spent three days getting it to work again).

On that note, is it possible that someone misplaced a command or something in the ebuild? Or perhaps my USE variables are fjucked up? I don't know, all I know is that this was the approach that worked for my MA401 Netgear PCMCIA Wireless card.
Antec TruePower 550W
120 GB WD SATA Drive
160 GB WD PATA Drive
54x32x54 CD-R/RW
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: