block kazaa 2.0?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anonazyet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: block kazaa 2.0? Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm a student at a Univ with 512kb Cable connection. My sys admin is kinda new and I need to help him out, blocking kazaa 2.0 as most of the guyz here just download movies all the time leaving every body with a 404 not found page( even google doesn't work!) There are about 75 windows clients. I guess just blocking the port doesn't work, tried to do a google couldn't come up with any hits. Has anyone successfully blocked kazaa and other p2p apps? I did guide him to use squid but dunno what he's upto, any suggestions would be gratefully passed on,
thanx,
Abhi
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably end up having to do QoS or some such -- AFAIK, most modern P2P apps are port port agile, and can (and do) randomly change their port at will, even to use 80. Good luck, but I'm no expert on setting QoS up!
BlackBart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't just block port 1214, I'm sure somebody could find away to reroute traffic but it should work until word get's out on how to bypass it. Or you could just send to people using port 1214 threatening to revoke network access.
magi.sys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of picking ports to block I've always found that picking ports to leave open works better :D

Just open http, ftp, pop3, smtp, and IM client ports they use. Anything else they want open will be something bandwidth hungry anyway.
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did here in my company is to leave the 1214 port open (so that they don't look somewhere else) but with QOS to limit total bandwidth usage.
Now Kazaa takes up to 15% of the total bandwidth but no more, and since personal cable connections are now faster than the company bandwidth-controlled connection, my users prefer to download at home ;)

Sure it's not an easy beast to control, and documentation is rare...

-K
xgecko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option is limiting the speed of each connection, maybe to 64 or 128K, that way people are still able to browse, and Kazaa is limited, no matter what port it uses.
perry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an Ask Slashdot article on blocking Kazaa the other day. Here is one solution that may help you out... http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=53434&cid=5290972

The rest of the thread may give you some other ideas..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: