Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
request one more step in the Install guide?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: request one more step in the Install guide? Reply with quote

I think most everyone has DMA these dayz and there is no setup of DMA in the install guide, if I weren't so die hard Linux (1st time user) gun-ho, the HID mouse lag from non-DMA operation would have caused me to give-up on Gentoo...
Fortunately XMMS was running like crap otherwise that ReiserFS would-by-now-be NTFS...
Now if I could just convert that damn NTFS partition to FAT 32 so I can write to it I'd be sitting pretty :)

Great distro guys, I LOVE IT!

Here is the ONE step I'd like added:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=206044#206044

cheers!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
cyfred
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml#doc_chap4

Scroll up a few lines, and youll see that its allready in there :D
I know what you're saying though, I missed it first time, and had to go looking for it.
H-Pi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is in thee docs for as long as I use gentoo (june or something)

what I don't understand is I actually didn't need to put a hdparm in local.start because dma is turned on automatically here, is that because I turned it on in the kernel?
Sargonas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is an option in the kernel for dma autoconfig right in kernel configuration. I dont remember where it is but it is turned on by default. So unless you turned it off there is no reason to throw it in local.
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine defaults with DMA off and I don't think I've mucked with anything in the kernel... hdparm changes AREN'T kept after a reboot so the install guide won't enable it pernmanently the way its written (I followed that thing to the letter and DMA hasn't been enabled)

It was just a suggestion, for me I just thought Linux wasn't all it's cracked up to be and was literally ready to bail on Linus for the last time. Now I'm just trying to get wine to work on all the things that I can't get working in Linux.

Soon I'll wipe out those silly FAT and NTFS partitions... but for now I need them :(
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenon,

You make a good point. In the install docs, it shows how to use DMA while you are installaling, but in some cases, one reboot later and DMA may no longer be turned on.

I just created an init script to turn DMA on, and added it to default, but there should be something about how to proper ensure DMA will be on after reboot, especially since the developers deem DMA important enough to be in the install docs during install (phew... run-on sentence or what!)

I too like seeing good documentation for improving the performance of my linux box. Also, as has been said before, the Gentoo install docs are some of the best and easiest to follow docs available.
zepar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just edit the settings in:

Code:
nano -w /etc/init.d/hdparm

and do:

Code:
rc-update add hdparm default
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now it's sitting in local.start when I boot back into Gentoo (haven't started getting burning functional yet and I had to make a few dics) I'll make that change to (god damn I mis the middle click paste from linux, NE1 know if there is a hack to get it in M$?) /etc/init.d/hdparm.

I agree that the documentation is magnificent, it's part of the reason I'm not using Debian.... I'm glad too, I love the idea that my whole system has been compiled from sratch.

But if that one little section were tweaked to add the editing of /etc/init.d/hdparm it'd be that much better because not using DMA causes a very laggy system. Which could give some newbies likr myself the wrong impression of linux, I personally thought Linux just needed more RAM!!:)

Now my lowly 256MB are enough to tide me over intil I can afford a 512MB stick.

OT:What's the best burning and (preferably seperate) audio ripping software MP3 de/coder (even tho I think I'll turn into an Ogg convert)...
SanitysEj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: just Recompile Reply with quote

If you just recompile your kernel, there's an option for ntfs read and write support right there in "filesystems" section.

Hopefully not too late.

"Try?! There is no Try!!! There is do, and there is do not!!!!" -YODA
counterpt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I'm confused.
I enabled DMA in the kernel but I didn't touch hdparm at all.
Do I need to do anything or am I set?
It's just an ata100 onboard controler (no fancy drivers).
Thanks.
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know if it's too late... here's how you check disc speed:
Code:
hdparm -Tt /dev/hdb
then you can type hdparm to get a full list of what it can do and what you want dis/enabled.. If you enable everything manually and see no speed diff, it must be enabled by default!:)

For me the speed increased ten fold B4 and after applying hdparm settings so it's definitely something that will be evident from the hdparm -Tt /dev/hdb command!;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: