reiser4 and metas.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenaleach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: reiser4 and metas. Reply with quote

I just got a kernel to build with reiser4 enabled, vanella 2.6.12.1 from kernel.org with the reiser4 patch from here: http://wojia.be/blog/ . I emerged reiser4progs, and was able to use mkfs.reiser4 to create a file system on a jumpdrive partition. Unfortunately, the very cool metas feature, which is what I wanted to check out, seems to be missing/disabled. I cannot access the /metas directory for a file, even if it is set as executable as one site suggested.

Having checked the kernel config, there is no option there to enable/disable the metas feature.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit /usr/src/linux/fs/reiser4/reiser4.h, find
Code:
#define ENABLE_REISER4_PSEUDO (0)

and change the 0 to a 1. Recompile, reboot (or reload the module), and you'll have metas
Code:
$ ls /bin/ls/..../
bmap  items  locality  nlink  plugin  readdir  size
gid   key    new       oid    pseudo  rwx      uid
stevenaleach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Excellent! Reply with quote

Thanks,

Do you know how to go about creating a new file in foo/..../ ?

My attempts so far have all ended in rebooting in order to unmount the now unhappy filesystem :-)

I would like to at least check out the possibility of writing a file manager which would make use of the pseudo directory much like the resource fork in Mac OS. What little information I have found suggests this should be possible although much of the information seems to be out of date: For instance everything I had read still referred to foo/meta/* rather than foo/..../*.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can create new files in file-directories. You should be able to write to some of the existing ones, however.

Unless you're just looking for a fun project, now's not the time to write a file manager based on metas. When compression and encytion support are finalized, it'll be worth it. Other advanced features like fibration, keying, and repacking might be worth including when/if interfaces become available. Basically, we don't need yet another file manager, but something that takes advantage of reiser4 features might be handy.

Don't worry about the /..../ name; reiser4 metas have changed names at least as often as Mozilla Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a good reason that feature is disabled - please understand that.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:

DISCLAIMER: A few programs that use poor but POSIXly correct tests will break; malicious users will be able to cause deadlocks; discontinue use of reiser4 metas if you experience dry-mouth, constipation, or sexual side effects.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
playfool wrote:

DISCLAIMER: A few programs that use poor but POSIXly correct tests will break; malicious users will be able to cause deadlocks; discontinue use of reiser4 metas if you experience dry-mouth, constipation, or sexual side effects.

Applauds.. I'm laughing my ass off here...
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's so poor about those tests? It's Reiser4 that's broken, not the programs...
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleOwen wrote:
What's so poor about those tests? It's Reiser4 that's broken, not the programs...

As I understand, some programs try to open a file as a directory and assume it's a file if it fails to open, rather than checking if the file type is file or directory.
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. And that's why Raiser4 is broken.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reiser4 patch for 2.6.12 is not ready yet. If you trust fs patches from random sites, good luck. But don't say the fs is broken, when you use unauthorized unsupported patches.

BTW, reiser4 doesn't support the xattr interface. That has nothing to do with broken. My Xorg server doesn't support Apple's Display PDF, it's broken! Huh?

EDIT: You can get the 2.6.12 patch at ftp.namesys.com when it's ready.
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many here enjoy saying that r4 is broken, that it's unstable, that it's laggy, and so on. Well, I don't see why; it's a new fs, you sure can't expect it to be universally stable, like ext3, which has been out for years instead of months - and actually, it's quite stable, only you can't expect it to work for everyone perfectly already. It works for me, and I'm happy. By saying that it's the worst thing since WW1, you people just scare away potential testers, which is what r4 really needs now.
Of course it's not "broken". It's just a different approach. Saying that it's broken because of this is just mindless bashing.
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And saying that programs are broken is even more mindless, when in fact the filesystem is at fault.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleOwen wrote:

The feature's disabled by default! When the deadlocks get fixed, people like stevenaleach can write write programs that use metas, people start using them, and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. People who need compatibility with the few programs that break will know what to do, or the programs will be fixed upstream. If that doesn't happen, metas can be removed and we'll still have a fast, efficient, developer friendly filesystem.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
UncleOwen wrote:

The feature's disabled by default! When the deadlocks get fixed, people like stevenaleach can write write programs that use metas, people start using them, and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. People who need compatibility with the few programs that break will know what to do, or the programs will be fixed upstream. If that doesn't happen, metas can be removed and we'll still have a fast, efficient, developer friendly filesystem.

Just one problem, most UNIX programs which would take advantage of metas are portable, such as GNOME or KDE, as run on systems that does not offer Reiser4, hell we can't even rely on every single Linux distro offer Reiser4 (at least not at first) - so the whole point of developing with metas in mind would be at best optional. Which is sad, I hope it would be possible to put such things in the VFS so such features would not go to waste.

I agree that the few programs that break are really not written correctly, you should really assert your assumptions in all cases, CPU time is cheap, safety isn't.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: