Picking a specific portage mirror
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illogical_simby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Picking a specific portage mirror Reply with quote

Hi all,
This may seem like a stupid question, and may have a REALLY obvious solution. My issue is, my ISP (Telstra in Australia) caps my download limits - so I need to pick a mirror (planetmirror.com) that is uncapped. Is there anyway in the portage configuration file (/etc/make.conf) that I can put which mirror FTP/HTTP site to use ALL the time?

I've tried the GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://123:123@planetmirror.com" (I need to login for it to work) - but when I run any portage commands it still looks for the latest list of mirrors and ignores my entry.

Any help on this will be appreciated, as I'm dying to install 1.4rc2! Thanks all!
cyfred
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well im on the 3G ADSL plan and havnt ever broken the cap, albeit for a first install your will have a larger download -- look in the file /etc/make.globals -- you will actually see where the mirrors are set, just add a the planetmirror address to that.

Code:
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://123:123@planetmirror.com http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu ... "

Be warned though, if the specific filename cannot be found then the next mirror is used. So the files need to be in /distfiles/<name_from_ibilio.org> for this method to work.

If you desperately want a portage cache I could send you two CDs with mine on it, once you have one the downloads a rather minimal :D
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't edit make.globals. Define GENTOO_MIRRORS in /etc/make.conf instead, using the same syntax as make.globals.
cyfred
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Please don't edit make.globals. Define GENTOO_MIRRORS in /etc/make.conf instead, using the same syntax as make.globals.

No generally you shouldnt edit make.globals, but I did test this before posting and the mirror I added to make.conf did not work, it didnt even report file not found. I checked this again this morning though and it does work, so I mustve typed something wrong lastnight...

For the record use make.conf it does work.
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my installation of 1.4-rc1, while I was chrooted in /mnt/gentoo, I did not replace my /etc/make.conf or globals files. Before exiting I ran 'etc-update' and had those two files showing (IIRC). I think I just skipped over them during my configuring process.

Now in my successfully installed system my /etc/make.conf had two GENTOO_MIRRORS entries for ftp sites (which I also used while building the system). The first, gatech worked wonderfully while building. Now it has turned to stone! So, I want to use the second listing, oregonstate. After several attempts to emerge kde stalled out on the connection to gatech I removed the gatech listing all together from my /etc/make.conf file, leaving just the oregonstate site.

However, when I try to emerge something, it is still trying to work from the gatech site. My /etc/make.globals still shows the original ibiblio.org site.

How should I persue correcting this? TIA, Bill
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a nice thingie called mirrorselect that does the job in a simple menu-driven way. Emerge it and give it a try if you don't want to mess with long URLs. :)
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks xenon. I did that during the installation process. WOW. EURIKA. I had forgotten about it. I just went to my linux box, entered the 'mirrorselect' command deleted the gatech check mark, which left the oregonstate site. I'm back in business. Thanks to all for your help. Bill
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: