Gentoo - A Beginner's Perspective
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbo62
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Gentoo - A Beginner's Perspective Reply with quote

I am a Gentoo beginner and a Linux noob. I have installed several Live CD distros, Knoppix, Mepis, PCLinuxOS, Peanut, Slax, DSLinux and Puppy. And I have installed Mandriva 10.1, Debian Sarge and Gentoo r9. IMHO, Gentoo, far and away, has the most complete and detailed documentation, the most active forum and the most helpful forum. I have yet to see a call for help answered with a patronizing "RTFM". Installation of Mandriva was simpler, a lot was configured to defaults that worked on my system. I used the "net install" option for both Debian and Gentoo. Gentoo took longer and required more configuration. As a result, I learned more about Linux than I did from all of the other distro installations combined. Who would have thought that I could sucessfully compile a kernel? Or recompile the kernel later to add support for the ntfs file system? The portage package manager makes software installation and updates painless. My only concern is the time it takes to install the larger applications. It took between 9 and 12 hours to completely install KDE. I gave up and went to bed after 9 hours. I woke up 3 hours later and installation was complete. I suppose installation from a CD would speed things up some. I guess that is the price you pay for all of the flexibility. Anyway, just some thoughts from a Gentoo beginner.

Thanks Gentoo, jimbo
ansient
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free tip: press enter more often. It makes posts easier to read ;)

To make emerges painless:
Code:
emerge screen

So you can:
Code:
screen -xR <name>                     # suggest using "emerge" for the <name>
nice emerge <flags> <packages>        # (the "nice" gives the process a lower priority,
                                      # so you can run other programs without a slowdown)
CTRL+A, then press D

Now from any terminal when you want to check the progress of this emerge, simply:
Code:
screen -xR                            # (or -xR <name>, if you have more than one screen running)

And to go back:
Code:
CTRL+A, then press D

Cool huh? screen is very useful for other things as well...
jlpence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My only concern is the time it takes to install the larger applications. It took between 9 and 12 hours to completely install KDE.
Another free tip: Next time grab the packages CD. I can go from beginning of install to playing around in KDE in about an hour using it. Takes a _LOT_ of pain out of the install.

Hell, third free tip: Enjoy the learning experience. Two years ago I was just tired of Windows and wanted something new. Today I'm tossing together a live CD custom tailored to my system. GNU/Linux is like the most awesome video game ever - there's always something new to explore, something new to learn. Keep an open mind and you will have much fun.
jimbo62
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

jimbo
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo - A Beginner's Perspective Reply with quote

jimbo62 wrote:
I have yet to see a call for help answered with a patronizing "RTFM".

Since you seem to have missed it: RTFM. The doc herd puts a lot of work into it and it's worth reading. :)
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo - A Beginner's Perspective Reply with quote

jimbo62 wrote:
I suppose installation from a CD would speed things up some.

No it wouldnt. Installing a binary would speed things up. Compiling from source takes time since you are creating the binaries as apposed to having them ready for you and merely putting them in the right places (which is what installation is). Gentoo is a "from source" distro, meaning you compile everything. There are some benefits to this of course but there are also benefits to taking 3 min. to install OOo instead of 9 hours.

The faster your machine, the less wait in compiling.
jimbo62
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo - A Beginner's Perspective Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
jimbo62 wrote:
I have yet to see a call for help answered with a patronizing "RTFM".

Since you seem to have missed it: RTFM. The doc herd puts a lot of work into it and it's worth reading. :)

No, I haven't missed it. Gentoo has IMHO the most complete and most detailed documentation of any distro that I have tried. My point was that the Gentoo forum folks seem to have more patience with noob questions than other forums.

jimbo
edudlive
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo - A Beginner's Perspective Reply with quote

jimbo62 wrote:
I am a Gentoo beginner and a Linux noob. I have installed several Live CD distros, Knoppix, Mepis, PCLinuxOS, Peanut, Slax, DSLinux and Puppy. And I have installed Mandriva 10.1, Debian Sarge and Gentoo r9. IMHO, Gentoo, far and away, has the most complete and detailed documentation, the most active forum and the most helpful forum. I have yet to see a call for help answered with a patronizing "RTFM". Installation of Mandriva was simpler, a lot was configured to defaults that worked on my system. I used the "net install" option for both Debian and Gentoo. Gentoo took longer and required more configuration. As a result, I learned more about Linux than I did from all of the other distro installations combined. Who would have thought that I could sucessfully compile a kernel? Or recompile the kernel later to add support for the ntfs file system? The portage package manager makes software installation and updates painless. My only concern is the time it takes to install the larger applications. It took between 9 and 12 hours to completely install KDE. I gave up and went to bed after 9 hours. I woke up 3 hours later and installation was complete. I suppose installation from a CD would speed things up some. I guess that is the price you pay for all of the flexibility. Anyway, just some thoughts from a Gentoo beginner.

Thanks Gentoo, jimbo

RTFM n00b! :x

Sorry, had to.
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo.
oracleofmist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jlpence"]
Quote:

Hell, third free tip: Enjoy the learning experience. Two years ago I was just tired of Windows and wanted something new. Today I'm tossing together a live CD custom tailored to my system. GNU/Linux is like the most awesome video game ever - there's always something new to explore, something new to learn. Keep an open mind and you will have much fun.

I'm getting ready to level up my Desktop
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo - A Beginner's Perspective Reply with quote

jimbo62 wrote:
No, I haven't missed it.

I meant the rtfm, not the docs. Have fun with Gentoo. :wink:
plumboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't disagree more than your tips.

gentoo has the most readable doc.

but the compilation is long......................................................................................................much longer than these dots...............................................................................................
:?
djs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: forget 'nice emerge' Reply with quote

just set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in /etc/make.conf

I'm a huge fan of screen though. I use it to log into my machine from work and start an emerge of something big like a new Gnome version detach and then logout. By the time I get home, it's done.

/djs
flupke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Great tip, thanks!

Maybe a bit OT, but for yall screen users, here is something to put in the screenrc :

Code:
hardstatus alwayslastline "%D %M %d - %c -- %w"
caption always "%h"

Personally, it has enlightened my screen experience...

HTH
Flupke
IvanYosifov
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What for ? Make it even slower !?
ansient
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanYosifov wrote:
Quote:

What for ? Make it even slower !?

No. Give it a lower priority. man nice for details
IvanYosifov
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Give it a lower priority.

Exactly. Make long compiles longer. This should be done only on slow machines where compiling noticeably decreases responsiveness. I this thread I see complains about compile-time, not responsiveness.
ansient
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanYosifov wrote:
Quote:

Give it a lower priority.
Exactly. Make long compiles longer.

It does not make compiles take longer unless the machine is being used for other things.

If the machine is being used for other things, those things are probably a higher priority. Niceness is how you tell the kernel this.
IvanYosifov
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea I am trying to comunicate is:
The default nice ( 0 ) should not be altered unless you are noticing click-responce-lag or some other ill effect. Setting portage nice to 19 will give everything else a higher priority, which you may not always want. You can always lower the nice of an inportant job. This seems like a better approach to me.
ansient
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanYosifov wrote:
The idea I am trying to comunicate is:
The default nice ( 0 ) should not be altered unless you are noticing click-responce-lag or some other ill effect. Setting portage nice to 19 will give everything else a higher priority, which you may not always want. You can always lower the nice of an inportant job. This seems like a better approach to me.

I think the best approach is to use "nice" from the command line, when desired. Perhaps we are actually in agreement?
IvanYosifov
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think the best approach is to use "nice" from the command line, when desired. Perhaps we are actually in agreement?

Seems so. :lol: We shouldn't let this spoil the controversy, though. :wink:
statmobile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlpence wrote:
Another free tip: Next time grab the packages CD. I can go from beginning of install to playing around in KDE in about an hour using it. Takes a _LOT_ of pain out of the install.

You know, I tried that recently, and while I was up and running on KDE in no time. I later wanted to tweak my system, like I expected to be able to do, based upon all my other Stage 1 installations. Yet the tweaking broke the system, although it even says in the manual that my tweaks probably would after going through a Stage 3 installation. It just seems to me that being restricted while running a gentoo machine contradicts this distro. Choose whatever it is you need or want, and forget the rest. With a little reading on the gentoo website, and a few searches in the gentoo forum, lastly submitting a few questions in the forum, you undestand so much more than a simple binary installation. I'll sacrifice that for a few hours of my computer doing the brunt work, and me just `complaining' that it takes too long ;)

My only complaint is having to always completely understand everything in the /etc directory. Yet in reality, is that a bad thing?!!! I find myself explaining a lot of stuff to administrators as a user/casual hacker, and that's all I really want to be.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are getting the package cd, learn how to use the emerge -k first
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: