finding a encrypt software which can change password fastly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtis123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: finding a encrypt software which can change password fastly Reply with quote

I 'd like to change password of encryped files frequently.

there are about 500G encryped files ,they all have same password. but the password should be changed monthly.

so I want to find a software which can encrypt files and can change password fastly.
ansient
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the adverb you are looking for is quickly, not fastly
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I don't think that's technically possible.
The password is part of the encryption, so it would require re-encrypting all the files. To put it another way, if you can change the password fast, someone else can probably crack it fast.

You could work around it by encrypting it all with a long random key, which is itself encrypted with your usable passphrase, then when you enter the passphrase it decrypts the big key and uses that to decrypt the files. Hence it wouldn't take long to re-encrypt the key with another passphrase.

The only problem with that approach is that it doesn't actually change the encryption on the files, so an attacker would have more than a month to try to break them.
Why do you want to change your password monthly? It's not generally required, or as far as I'm aware considered particularly helpful as far as security goes. You're better off choosing one good passphrase and sticking with it.
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel is right (though I looked more at the avatar than at the message itself), changing the encryption key means re-encrypting everything, so it's just not doable, at least not montly. But then, if you do as I do, and keep a 50MB key on a cd, that's as secure as it gets. What you then have to protect is the cd itself...
What you should change monthly if you want real security is root and user passwords, especially the ones that get exposed to the net (ssh, etc).
ttuttle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make a PGP private key, use it to encrypt the files, and change the PGP key's passphrase every month. It would be absurd and wasteful to decrypt all the files each time. As long as the PGP key is secure in itself, you can change its passphrase and not need to reencrypt data.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: