Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XFree86 4.2.1, ALT Gr gone, XKBMap errors.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: XFree86 4.2.1, ALT Gr gone, XKBMap errors. Reply with quote

Hiya! The system I'm currently running has been working fine for a week or so now, but today I thought I'd emerge openoffice (not the bin version). Anyway, some 10 hours later, it is done, and it starts - and then I notice that ALT GR doesn't work. In fact, international characters don't work, either. Which is kind of a bummer, as I occasionally do have to write in Swedish. 8O

Anyway, I looked around on the forums and found a suggestion about changing the rc.conf language setup variables, which worked to give me back the three swedish characters, but which didn't give me back my ALT Gr, thus stripping me of @ and several other important characters. I also found a tips to put "Option "RightAlt" "ModeShift"" into my XF86Config, but that didn't help either.

I then got desperate (:oops:) and unmerged OpenOffice, which *of course* didn't help, either. Then it dawned on me that I could also check the XFree86 log file, which, at the end of the file, sports this:
Code:

Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

No other error codes as far as I can tell, so I can't see why it fails to load the keymap. I can understand why ALT GR doesn't work, but... how do I go about fixing this? I'm currently recompiling XFree86 4.2.1-r2 in the hope that it'll recreate whatever is missing, but if that doesn't work it'd be nice to have a fallback.

Oh, and though the XF86Config worked before, I might just as well include the keyboard setup, in case someone wants to have a look.
Code:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "LogitechNet"
    Driver      "keyboard"
    Option      "Protocol"      "Standard"
    Option      "XkbModel"      "pc105"
    Option      "XkbLayout"     "se"
    Option      "RightAlt"      "ModeShift"
    Option      "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
EndSection

Thanks in advance for any help I get with this. It's when things like this happens one realizes how little one really knows. :wink: [/code]
Claer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: XFree86 4.2.1, ALT Gr gone, XKBMap errors. Reply with quote

Hi,

I got the same problem few days ago. ALT Gr key was unavailable.
After reading xfree logs, I found the same error message.

The solution was to simply re-emerge xfree.

Question, did you emerge xfree running X ? I don't think it has any kind of
importance but I take care to re-emerge xfree in console.

Claer
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: