anybody else?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollovoid7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: anybody else? Reply with quote

ive been a strict linux user for over a year now with gentoo, and have been able to survive without windows for many things, except for gaims horrible inability to be able to send files/connect to 98 percent of the known world (I know this is not entirely thier fault, since aol is reluctant to give up on thier protocols), but recently, I noticed a new version of aim for windows was out, so I figured I would give it a try through crossover, and out of nowhere,,,, it works! only thing that doesnt, is the webcam connect, which is no big deal, but I am back into the world of working file transfers (no more having to explain an ftp to people and setting up accounts) does anybody else have this working? can anybody confirm that regular wine could accomodate this? just curious since I know alot of people who love gaim, but would like to be able to use aims ability to connect to almost anybody.
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tried this, but I'm almost sure that standard wine will work with AIM. However, I seriously don't get why you need to share so many files (illegal? :P.) You could just use email to send files (GMail support 10mb+ attachments.) Gaim should be able to send files though, unless you're behind a firewall/router like me.

You could also try Linux version of AIM. This version supports drag&drop file transfer, although doesnt have a very pretty interface.
hollovoid7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use file transfer and direct connect to share pics, patches, documents, etc. I admit gmail is nice, but nothing beats the convinience of talking to someone and sending instantly, both me and most of the people I talk to are behind a router/firewall, so the chance of gaim working for this is 1,000,000 to 1 (ive seen it work 3 times total, but it usually just closes gaim completely when a transfer comes through) , and as for the linux version of aim, it is horribly outdated, and crashes on file transfers on all 3 machines I have running here. I guess aol gave up on it? as far as illegal software tho, ive actually rid myself of all of it since my move to linux, there are so many good options that are free :)
edudlive
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are always complaining about gaim's direct connect. I have no problems with it connecting to other gaim versions, trillian, or AIM. As long as I'm on my router's DMZ and I initiate the connecting (those two were required of me on AIM too)

If XOver supports it, then WINE supports it. WINE just requires its own configuration.

My girlfriend linked me to the Linux version of AIM over 1.5 years ago, they haven't updated the version since.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I used gaim it seemed to manage through my firewall - at least as much as anything does, which is a random 50%.
Admittedly that wasn't using AIM - there are better alternatives.
ansient
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I need to transfer files directly to people, I have them use WinSCP.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: