n00b with broken gnome
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlieSummers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: n00b with broken gnome Reply with quote

Ok, I'm a little frustrated and confused, so please forgive in advance.

Performed an emerge world the other day after not having done it for a while (had a bunch of X and gnome stuff, so I kept putting it off). I shut down X and performed the emerge from the console to be "safe" (I know it's supposed to be ok to recompile the display manager while the display manager is running, but the idea makes me nervous). Once I restarted, gnome would not run.

Researched and found the libdbus-1.so.2 problem and after a small glitch with emerging hal everything seemed to be ok. Gnome now runs...sorta. But required graphics refuse to display; as examples, games like minesweeper fail with a, "required images found, but refuse to load;" mahjongg fails to load postmodern.svg (but does load smooth.bmp); Nibbles is just...screwed (displays a scrambled piece of the desktop in the gameboard area). It isn't only games, though; Financial Chart displays a red-X pic, for example. There are other anomolies too (audacity won't run when it did before, but that's masked and so my problem to deal with later).

"emerge --update --newuse --deep --pretend world" shows nothing. "revdep-rebuild --ignore --pretend" shows nothing. But something ain't kosher somewhere. Advice on where to look would be greatly appreciated. (Just don't tell me I have to reformat and reload...I'm old, and my heart can't take that. ;)
freelight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. My suggestion would have been run revdep-rebuild, but since that shows nothing, the only other thing I can suggest is emerge -e world. (Then go to sleep, and it should be done by the time you get back from work the next day. Maybe.)

"Let the gremlins eat your soul... it's invigorating." --LD
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: n00b with broken gnome Reply with quote

CharlieSummers wrote:
mahjongg fails to load postmodern.svg

Is svg in the USE flags in /etc/make.conf?
CharlieSummers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freelight wrote:
Hmm. My suggestion would have been run revdep-rebuild, but since that shows nothing, the only other thing I can suggest is emerge -e world. (Then go to sleep, and it should be done by the time you get back from work the next day. Maybe.)

More like by next Thursday, if "emerge --emptytree --pretend world" means anything. But I'm game; while this is a production machine, I can easily offload its tasks to others for the time being. I'd rather do it right than wait for something I missed to come back around and bite me later.

PaulBredbury wrote:
Is svg in the USE flags in /etc/make.conf?

Hum...no...and the USE assignment seems smaller than I remember; understand, I never did have the pages some folks here carry, but thirteen entries seems awfully small. I don't remember mucking around with that, though (make.conf is one of those files I take pretty seriously - non-gurus like me should have a deep respect for it's mojo), so I need to do a little investigating to see if I screwed anything up accidentially.

After adding svg, I did a "emerge --pretend --deep --newuse world" and got:

Code:
Calculating world dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/cairo-1.2.6  USE="svg*"
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/vlc-0.8.6_p18636  USE="svg*"
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6-r2  USE="-d%"

Gotta hate that last one...so I fired 'er up, took a short nap, and when done, re-emerged gnome-games (figuring if this worked, I could simply recompile anything else that had display issues). But...no change. There are still display issues.

(*sigh*) emerge --emptytree is looming on the horizon, I'm afraid...
CharlieSummers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Grrrr..... Reply with quote

Darnitall...did the emerge --emptytree and now things are worse, not better:

Code:
audio64 charlie # /etc/init.d/xdm start
 * Setting up xdm ...
start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/bin/xdm: No such file or directory (No such file or directory)
 * ERROR: could not start the Display Manager                             [ ok ]

I thought xdm came automatically with xorg? And I used to have it, but now emerge tells me:

Code:
audio64 charlie # emerge --pretend xdm

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] x11-apps/xdm-1.0.5  USE="ipv6 pam -debug -xprint"

I'm confused...how did an emerge --emptytree "eat" xdm?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in /var/log/emerge.log for xdm - of course, to make things difficult, the time is a meaningless (to humans) number :(

Use genlop -l to convert that number into a proper time.

Edit: To see the unmerge history, use qlop.
Code:
qlop -u
CharlieSummers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
Look in /var/log/emerge.log for xdm - of course, to make things difficult, the time is a meaningless (to humans) number :(

Gotta love unix time. I did a simple grep - xdm emerge.log and found nothing but references to libxdmcp:

Code:
audio64 log # grep -i xdm emerge.log
1157163752:  >>> emerge (10 of 136) x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1 to /
1157163752:  === (10 of 136) Cleaning (x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1::/usr/portage/x11-libs/libXdmcp/libXdmcp-1.0.1.ebuild)
1157163753:  === (10 of 136) Compiling/Merging (x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1::/usr/portage/x11-libs/libXdmcp/libXdmcp-1.0.1.ebuild)
1157163847:  >>> AUTOCLEAN: x11-libs/libXdmcp
1157163847:  === (10 of 136) Post-Build Cleaning (x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1::/usr/portage/x11-libs/libXdmcp/libXdmcp-1.0.1.ebuild)
1157163847:  ::: completed emerge (10 of 136) x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1 to /
1174263302:  >>> emerge (216 of 596) x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1 to /
1174263302:  === (216 of 596) Cleaning (x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1::/usr/portage/x11-libs/libXdmcp/libXdmcp-1.0.1.ebuild)
1174263303:  === (216 of 596) Compiling/Merging (x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1::/usr/portage/x11-libs/libXdmcp/libXdmcp-1.0.1.ebuild)
1174263342:  >>> AUTOCLEAN: x11-libs/libXdmcp
1174263342:  === (216 of 596) Post-Build Cleaning (x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1::/usr/portage/x11-libs/libXdmcp/libXdmcp-1.0.1.ebuild)
1174263342:  ::: completed emerge (216 of 596) x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.0.1 to /

...which to this n00b deepens the mystery...qlop -u | grep xdm shows nothing

(*sigh*) May I assume it would be a good idea to emerge xdm (--pretend shows xdm-1.0.5 as being new to this system, but I swear before the emerge --emptytree adding /etc/init.d/xdm to default did not generate an error at boot, and cheerfully launched into the GUI...).
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlieSummers wrote:
I did a simple grep - xdm emerge.log and found nothing

You might be confusing xdm with xinit - that owns /etc/init.d/xdm, just to confuse :)
CharlieSummers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
You might be confusing xdm with xinit - that owns /etc/init.d/xdm, just to confuse :)

Nope. To get the GUI up on boot with an auto-login before, I did an rc-update add xdm default - worked peachie until after that emerge --emptytree, when it threw an error on boot and dropped me to a straight terminal. Logged in as root, and an /etc/init.d/xdm status said "started;" I then stopped and restarted, where I get the error:

Code:
audio64 log # /etc/init.d/xdm start
 * Setting up xdm ...
start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/bin/xdm: No such file or directory (No such file or directory)
 * ERROR: could not start the Display Manager                             [ ok ]

Since I assume the emerge --emptytree didn't radically alter the /etc/init.d/xdm script, I then assume (but don't know, since truthfully I never looked before) something caused /usr/bin/xdm to dissapear in a puff of smoke.

After an emerge xdm and stopping then starting /etc/init.d/xdm, I got to the (ugly) log-in screen, which took me to gnome. Not only has this cleared up the issues with graphics not displaying, for the first time in lord-only-knows how long the VNC Console actually runs (this is important for clipboard sharing, and hasn't worked for quite a while because of a bug on the AMD64). Changing DISPLAYMANAGER=gdm put the login right again, and after adding xdm to default runlevel, on restart it properly logs the non-priv user into gnome.

I still have some testing to do, and I'd love to know what happened to make /usr/bin/xdm vanish, but at least I have a functioning GUI, nothing (I've found to now, anyway) complaining about not being able to display graphics, and as the added bonus that VNC Console is running properly. Unless I find some other anomoly, I'm a happy camper.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: