2.6.12-rc6-evil1 aka "Moonwalking out of California&
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil Dark Archon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: 2.6.12-rc6-evil1 aka "Moonwalking out of California& Reply with quote

evil-sources is back again (again)

here are the new release notes

Code:
Combined Evil-Sources and EvilCK-sources notes:
Non Version-specific stuff:

I've switched development of evil-sources and its not really publicised sister project evilck-sources from subversion to bazaar after seeing how easy it is to use, all you have to do is baz import -a -s "Insert Commit Message Here" on the directory and your good to add patches, the catch for the kernel is that there are problems with the default {arch}/=tagging-method file so you have to do baz init-tree and manually edit the =tagging-method file and then do a lot of baz lint and baz add commands, e-mail or pm me for my custom =tagging-method file so that some source files don't do a disappearing act. after that you just patch -p1 -i insert-name-of.patch to add a patch, then you do a baz lint to see if there are any files deleted or added as the result of a patch or user action that still have inventory ids (bazaar will not commit if files have been removed that have leftover inventory ids, but it will commit, though the new files will not be added to the archive, if there are files that have been created but don't have inventory ids). Also the fact that you don't need a dedicated server really cinches it.

My versioning scheme for bazaar:
Because Bazaar (and gnu-arch in general) doesn't allow alphabetic characters in versions (only numberic characters and the ., obviously) I had to create a versioning scheme that only applies to the archive. The first 3 numbers are the base version of the kernel (e.g 2.6.12). The 4th number is the pre-release number (e.g -rc5), in the case of release versions the 4th number will be 99, and the fifth number is the revision of the patchset (e.g -evil1), in the case that there is a -stable release (e.g 2.6.12.1), the 4th number will still be 99, but the fifth number will be the -stable revision and the sixth number will be the patchset revision. the HEAD branch will be the first 4 numbers (or first 5 in the case of a -stable release) so don't let the version fool you, most of the time the 2.6.12.5 branch will be more up to date than the 2.6.12.5.1 branch (for example)

Fetching straight from the archive:
to fetch straight from the archive do a baz register-archive http://www.evil-sources.org/bazaar-archives/evil-sources-2005 and then do a baz export (or get if you want all the arch meta-data) evil-sources--mainline--2.6.12.5.1 (in the case of fetching 2.6.12-rc5-evil1)

Making your own branch:
if you want to do your own branch, make sure you've set your id using baz my-id (e.g baz my-id "Andrew Nelson <andrew@andrewnelson.org>", would be mine) and have made an archive (e.g baz make-archive your@email-address.com--archive-name) then do a baz branch andrew@andrewnelson.org--evil-sources-2005/evil-sources--mainline--2.6.12.5 your@email-address.com--archive-name/evil-sources--youremailusername--2.6.12.5, to switch an existing directory to your new branch, do (for example)  baz switch -d /usr/src/insertnameofdirectoryhere your@email-address.com--archive-name/evil-sources--youremailusername--2.6.12.5.

Bazaar performance tip:
Use a revision library, they are very easy to set up, e.g. baz my-revision-library /usr/src/revision-library, then do baz library-config --greedy --non-sparse /usr/src/revision-library (use this if you have disk space to spare, otherwise just leave it alone and it'll work it just won't store as much, meaning it will only store revisions that you check out directly not the ones in between), make sure that the revision-library is on the same partition or lvm logical volume as where ever you intend to do checkouts because it uses hard-links.

Version-specific stuff:
Special thanks go to bzcat_|patch-p1 and rmh3093 for no-sources and skunk-sources respectively, which this patchset is based on
IMPORTANT NOTE: the plugsched and swapsched patches are mutually exclusive, please only apply one on top of the main patch.
applies on top of: 2.6.12-rc6-mm1
main patch: http://www.evil-sources.org/2.6/2.6.12-rc6/2.6.12-rc6-evil1/2.6.12-rc6-evil1.bz2
swapsched patch: http://www.evil-sources.org/2.6/2.6.12-rc6/2.6.12-rc6-evil1/swapsched-0.51-for-2.6.12-rc6-evil1.bz2
plugsched patch: http://www.evil-sources.org/2.6/2.6.12-rc6/2.6.12-rc6-evil1/plugsched-5.2-for-2.6.12-rc6-evil1.bz2
ebuild: coming soon
main bazaar branch: evil-sources--mainline--2.6.12.6.1
plugsched bazaar branch: evil-sources--plugsched--2.6.12.6.1
swapsched bazaar branch: evil-sources--swapsched--2.6.12.6.1

This patchset includes most of the patches from 2.6.12-rc5-skunk4 (minus suspend2 and BadRAM because they don't apply, and in the case of suspend2, break things) plus some patches that i found from various sources around the internet, the usual suspects (vesafb-tng and fbsplash) are in, plus the layer7 netfilter code has been patched in and unionfs is also patched in.

Registered Linux user 347334
Abit AV8-3rd eye, AMD Athlon64 3500+ 90nm, ATI Radeon x850 pro
Robin79
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm whats in and whats out? i need resiserfs4 and it82x and also the sk98lin.. Are they in i give it a try :P
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
Evil Dark Archon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got reiser4 (patchset is based on -mm) and i think that -mm keeps the sk98lin and all the other network drivers up-to-date, if you could point me to the it82x driver that would be helpful, i'll work on a broken-out tarball and series file.

pwe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why skunk-sources logo and skunk-sources menu?
Evil Dark Archon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logo was unintentional but the skunk-sources menu is there because I haven't made any changes to it so giving credit where credit is due

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: