More Java 1.5 (or 5 if you prefer) pain
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
db_404
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: More Java 1.5 (or 5 if you prefer) pain Reply with quote

I Often get things like
Code:

compile:
    [mkdir] Created dir: /var/tmp/portage/avalon-logkit-1.2/work/LogKit-1.2/buil                                                   d
    [mkdir] Created dir: /var/tmp/portage/avalon-logkit-1.2/work/LogKit-1.2/buil                                                   d/classes
    [javac] Compiling 69 source files to /var/tmp/portage/avalon-logkit-1.2/work                                                   /LogKit-1.2/build/classes
    [javac] javac: target release 1.2 conflicts with default source release 1.5

BUILD FAILED
/var/tmp/portage/avalon-logkit-1.2/work/LogKit-1.2/build.xml:331: Compile failed                                                   ; see the compiler error output for details.

Total time: 5 seconds

!!! ERROR: dev-java/avalon-logkit-1.2 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 65, Exitcode 1
!!! Compilation failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

From builds as I am using Java 1.5 - is there ANYTHING that I can do about this (on a consistant basis), other than backing off the Java version - which isn't really an option as then you have 1.5->other version incompatibility pains, as a lot of my system is compiled with 1.5.

Also is this something that portage could handle automagically? - as often I've fixed these errors by editing the build.xml files to set 'target' and 'source'.
kustos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: More Java 1.5 (or 5 if you prefer) pain Reply with quote

db_404 wrote:

Also is this something that portage could handle automagically? - as often I've fixed these errors by editing the build.xml files to set 'target' and 'source'.

Congrats, you understood the problem and the solution. Maybe this helps:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-317253.html

Rumors are they are working on a special ant target that lets you specify `source' und `target' via java-config. Considering what has happended in the last year, I don't expect this anytime soon.
db_404
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ant task seems like a reasonable way of tackling the problem - conceptually you could subclass the javac task and force set the source and target from settings in java-config. That way it would simply be a textual replace of javac with gentoo-javac or whatever in the build files.

Your XSLT aproach has the advantage of being somewhat simpler and a little less invasive.

But something really needs to be done - gentoo is a great server platform, but if you are going to have trouble running some of the newer Java code people will pass over it as a distribution.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant already support -source and -target. See here:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/javac.html
db_404
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - but normally the build files that gentoo is building from either do not use it, or use only source - which breaks things under 1.5. The gentoo maintainers can't be expected to manually edit all the build files for java packages in the tree, so as an alternative you make a gentoo specific task that handles setting the source & target attributes + also integrates with java-config.

At least I assume that was the idea.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. But someone ought to post a patch or something. It should be a trivial patch.
kustos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbyjo wrote:
True. But someone ought to post a patch or something. It should be a trivial patch.

No, such a patch would be huge, affecting possibly every java ebuild. But a script that does this, would be quite simple. Like my XSLT stylesheet for example.
herberteuler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Java 1.5 sdk from Sun is weak. I can't compile a CORBA program which is passed in jdk 1.4. I don't know what about other things in this version.

Regards,
herberteuler
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kustos wrote:
robbyjo wrote:

No, such a patch would be huge, affecting possibly every java ebuild. But a script that does this, would be quite simple. Like my XSLT stylesheet for example.

Well, trivialities lie on the simplicity of the patch. Someone could come up with a Perl script that modify javac ant tag and it should be easy enough.
kustos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbyjo wrote:

Someone could come up with a Perl script that modify javac ant tag and it should be easy enough.

I don't see why perl should be better for XML-processing than XSLT. But even if it was, a script still is no patch.
bll0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herberteuler wrote:
For me, Java 1.5 sdk from Sun is weak. I can't compile a CORBA program which is passed in jdk 1.4. I don't know what about other things in this version.

I am using Sun JDK 1.4.2 for root and for my standard user 1.5. This helps when emerge breaks, but I can still use and develop with 1.5 in my normal environment. Until know I didn't discover any problems with applications built with 1.4 and running with 1.5

Maybe this might help you?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: