Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
From bad to worse! Install Failures (solved?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: From bad to worse! Install Failures (solved?) Reply with quote

Started the install on my new K8WE. Used the universal live cd AMD64-2005.0. This boots fine and the network is up and running directly.

Used the Belnet.be mirror to get the current (2005.0) stage1 and the 20050606 portage snapshot. Used -march=k8 -pipe -O2, nothing more. Chroot went without a problem, but the bootstrap.sh failed.

Error was in configuring texinfo-4.8.

I'll try to get the config.log over to the other pc so I can post it (anything more needed?). But has anyone an idea what might be wrong? I searched the forum and googled around, but this texinfo-4.8 never pops-up as a problem.

Last edited by Spanik on Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Neonamu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem :(, it's says that C compiler cannot ceate executables.... any idea?

Thx
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: now stage2 to stage3 fails !!! Reply with quote

Restarted it today. Did an emerge --sync and removed a few USE variables. This isn't a complete list of what I removed, but some of the more important were:
avi, cdparanoia, exif, flac, imagemagick, java, javascript, kdeenablefinal, mime, mp3, multilib, nas, ogg, quicktime, samba, shorten, tiff, win32codecs, xine.

So, it now stops at the next step: emerge --emptytree system with the following error:

Code:

>>> Unpacking bzip2-1.0.3.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/bzip2-1.0.3/work
 * Applying bzip2-1.0.3-NULL-ptr-check.patch ...
 * Applying bzip2-1.0.3-makefile-CFLAGS.patch ...
 * Applying bzip2-1.0.3-saneso.patch ...
 * Applying bzip2-1.0.3-progress.patch ...
>>> Source unpacked
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=k8 - pipe -O2 -fpic -fPIC -Wall -Winline -c blocksort.c
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=k8 - pipe -O2 -fpic -fPIC -Wall -Winline -c huffman.c
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=k8 - pipe -O2 -fpic -fPIC -Wall -Winline -c crctable.c
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: pipe: No such file or directory
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: -E required when input is from standard input
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=k8 - pipe -O2 -fpic -fPIC -Wall -Winline -c randtable.c
make: *** [huffman.o] Error 1
make: Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** [crctable.o] Error 1
make: *** [randtable.o] Error 1
make: *** [blocksort.o] Error 1

!!! Error: app-arch/bzip2-1.0.3 failed
!!! Function src_compile, Line 50, Exitcode 2
!!! Make failed libbz2

Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the first lines regarding the error listed "pipe", I re-started (again) and removed "-pipe" from the make.conf. Now I see a totaly different installation going on!

With the "-pipe" the bootstrap.sh only downloaded and compiled 11 packages. Without the "-pipe" it is downloading and compiling 87 packages! This is more than a little difference.

Can anyone explain? I always tought that the "-pipe" was a safe opimalisation.

EDIT: it failed while I typed this. Now it is:
Code:

checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++... g++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
checking whether g++ accpets -g... no
checking that C++ compiler can compile simple program... no
configure: error: a working C++ compiler is required

!!! Error: sys-apps/groff-1.19.1-r2 failed

Is it possible to actually do a stage1 installation on AMD64? Or is this still very shaky ground?
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS possible to install Stage 1 on an AMD64... I am using it right now and I started from Stage 1 (and so do many others)... You need to include your /etc/make.conf (the whole thing instead of only a few lines) so others can see what's wrong with it!!!
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It IS possible to install Stage 1 on an AMD64... I am using it right now

That's a relief. First time I go with amd64, all the previous installs of Gentoo went without any error at all.

Anyway, the make.conf:

Code:

CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
USE="acpi alsa audiofile X caps cdr cups dvd dvdr dvdread fftw gtk gtk+ ieee1394 jack jpeg kde ladcca ntpl openal opengl posix python qt scanner sndfile sox tiff truetype unicode usb xml xml2 xmms amd64"

When using CFLAGS="-march=k8 -pipe -O2" it fails much faster with the errors above.

Anything else needed?
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your /etc/make.conf looks a lillte funny to me!!! Here is the first part of my /etc/make.conf so feel free to use it or modify it if you wish...
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used -march=k8 since that is what is mentioned (twice) in the install docs. (code listing 16 and 18) I didn't use the -fomit-frame-pointer, but that shouldn't change much (I would even expect less problems). The -j4 is because this is on a dual cpu. Otherwise there is no difference.

I tried with -j2 but that makes no difference.

I tried without the USE="...." line, but that made no difference either. So I decided to start all over again. The error about the c++ not being able to compile programs looks very strange to me.

Reformated the HD partitions and did the same thing all over again. Only I downloaded the stage1 and portage snapshot from a different mirror. Used the same make.conf including the -pipe this time but without the USE="..." line. At the moment it is still into the bootstrap. Running about 2 hours now. This looks more normal to me, the previous tries failed after 30 minutes max.

If this works, I'll try again with more USE variables.

I wonder if someone can give an idea what happened.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stage1 -> stage2 went without errors. So I can only guess that there was something wrong with the downloaded stage1 tarball. I didn't checked the MD5 sum, so I'll never know if that was the reason.

I added the USE flags (a selection this time) before starting the stage2 -> stage3 step. It is now compiling number 69 out of 89 I saw flashing. So I guess it is going well.
Adwin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: AMD64 & Gentoo from stage 1 woes Reply with quote

OK, I have a DUAL Opteron system running on a Gentoo 64 stage1 strap.
One thing you have to remember is profile switching. As of writing, there is a 2005.1 profile in /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2005.1
Just after you chroot into your new env, copy over your resolv.conf & makefile.
then, you need to switch to your new profile BEFORE anything else, then do a env-update && source /etc/profile.
Just go along the bootstrap.
Here is my make.conf:

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=opteron -msse2 -m3dnow -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -fforce-addr -pipe -s -DNDEBUG DG_DISABLE_ASSERT"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
LDFLAGS="-s -z combreloc"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.prz.rzeszow.pl"
SYNC="rsync://gentoo.prz.rzeszow.pl/gentoo-portage"

USE="a52 aac mad theora ffmpeg ogg oggvorbis real quicktime xvid alsa mplayer cdparanoia cdr dvd dvdr dvdread net network xml2 java javascript moznoxft mozplaintext mozsvg zlib bzlib userlocales truetype-fonts nls tcltk wxgtk1 gtk2 jikes mmx mmxext sse sse2 3dnow 3dnowext apic mtrr devmap devfs26 hal openal multilib nptl nptlonly dmx dmalloc dlloader opengl nvidia X xv chroot fbcon bindist extras -font-server -arts -esd -sdl -spell -cups -foomaticdb -kde -gnome -gpm"

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
LINGUAS="en"

ALSA_CARDS="via82xx"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="-sandbox"

IWILLFIXITMYSELF=1

According to the online GCC manual, march=opteron = march=k8 = march=athlon-fx
You don't need all the USE flags.
You can also add -fPIC to the CFLAGS, as gettext relies upon them.

After emerging gcc, re-emerge it so you get a GCC 3.4.4 on 3.4.4 build. You can also take advantage of the time to tweak your CFLAGS for GCC.
Don't forget to do a env-update; source /etc/profile after a gcc compiler switch or after the binutils emerge.
I recommend compiling the stable release of binutils and cracklib, since with the testing versions I got some problems with compiling QT and logging.

I sucessfully built from stage1-2005.0 on a 2005.1 profile and believe me, it rocks.
I have heavily optimized packages of some big lib merges like mozilla-firefox, kdelibs, qt, gcc, glibc, xorg-x11 6.8.99.8 etc...
If you'd like, I can put ot up on a 100mbit FTP, so you can just emerge --oneshot -vk [package]

Alternatively, you can download an experimental hardened 20050319 stage3, and do a stage1-on-stage3 install, if you really have issues with bootstrapping gcc or glibc.
But don't forget switching to a normal profile BEFORE bootstrapping from a stage3, since the hardened version is a hardened,no-multilib profile and you'll get a hardened pure 64 bit env. This is nice if you don't need emulation for chroot32, win32codecs, wine, skype, flash-in-mozilla, etc...

Hope this helped you.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that lot. It will take some time to digest I'm afraid, just to understand what it is all about.

I got it to boot the new installation. (after some problems with grub and booting from sata) X is also already compiled. That was a lot faster than on the previous machine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: