Toshiba Tecra 8100, Netgear PCMCIA networking and 1.4_rc2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wobblytickle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Toshiba Tecra 8100, Netgear PCMCIA networking and 1.4_rc2 Reply with quote

Hey all,

I think I've hit a bit of a brick wall installing on one of these as the cdimage kernel was compiled without Toshiba laptop support. My tail of woe goes something like this.

Can boot from the livecd but can't bring up networking as I think I need the yenta_socket module to see the controller. No PCMCIA means no networking therefore no emerge :(

The box is dual boot so my plan is at the moment to do the best I can with the install (i.e. format and install a stage 3 tarball); then under windows download the kernel, cardmgr and any other bits and peices missing, boot back in from the cd, chroot to the half installed gentoo, compile a kernel with support, cardmgr and other bits and peices, and make the thing bootable with networking that way.

This is of course utterly convoluted, inelegant and going to take a while, furthermore if this box were not dual-boot I'm guessing I'd be royally boned as there are no kernel-sources on the cd, nor sources for the other bits and peices I'm missing.

Am I missing something simple here? can anyone think of another way to get round this?

Cheers,
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this topic...

Here you'll find it.
wobblytickle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I remember this topic...

Here you'll find it.

Yeah, I saw that thread and I've tried excluding the IRQs as suggested there but with no success.

I'm convinced it has something to do with the yenta_socket module; which, for example is what DeadRat was loading on the same hardware..

Cheers,
wobblytickle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record I was able to compile and install a new kernel with Toshiba laptop support whilst booted from the cdimage. As the stage3 tarball comes with grub pre-installed I was able to boot from that kernel, and, using a shared FAT32 partition I was able to get pcmcia-cs installed. Once yenta_socket was loaded, cardmgr brought my network card up first time.

I did it this way on a dual boot Windows 2000 system but you can do it provided you have a way of getting the kernel-source and pcmcia-cs source onto the system (filesystem that linux can read, removeable storage (!) or even a second CDROM (!!)

I hope this proves useful for someone in the future.

Now to find out how to ask for Toshiba Laptop Support = [Y] in the cdimage kernel :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: