View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grinch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: NWN Linux Box? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone knows... are they going to release an actually linux copy of NWN or is it just going to be linux binaries available for download? Main reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if I should buy the game now, or wait until the linux version is released... because I'd hate for them to release linux binaries online then have to wait 5 days for a game thats already out to ship to me... but if they are releasing a 'linux box' I'd like to support the linux developers and buy that.

It says on the webpage that the game will be downloadable for linux people and that you'll need to buy it for the CD Key... but I'm still wondering if they will release like a 'linux special edition' or soemthing *shrug*
NU-Slacker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be releasing binaries for Linux that use the data from the win32 installation *or* you can download all the data off of their servers and simply use the cd key from your windows disk. Either way, you'll be able to play as long as you get a valid CD key. Just make sure if you get the win32 version to register and specify you OS as linux :).
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's not entirely true! I believe www.tuxgames.com will be selling a linux version of it (probably just the binaries, the data files, the cd-key and the cover for the CD :P but hey! it's original at least)
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*or* you can download all the data off of their servers and simply use the cd key from your windows disk

Sweet!, I broke my play cd trying to squash a spider.. I will be able to NWN again!
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there will be only downloadable binaries, and you will need the cd-key

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that some online sellers will purpose a linux box (but not official) like Uranus said !
blight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason why you only need a cd key and can download everything else is simple: the developpers were too stupid to make the file format of the data packages on the windows cd portable - that's why you aren't able to install from the cd using linux binaries (afaik)
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still afraid that the quality of the linux binaries will be crap (due to the lack of decent developers at bioware), I would wait with buying nwn until the client has been released...
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik, there won't be any official CDs of the linux client, there will be just the downloadable binaries and you will need the cd-key for either running it using the windows cd's data, or to download the data (which is the same for all OSs)

sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bioware used a cab format that isnt supported for linux, so your nwn cd's are useless, this was just more proof that they haven't given portability a thought (while they already promised the linux client, how dumb can one get?)
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, the expansions for NWN soon to be released have been said by Bioware that they will run with the Linux client.

Of course, Bioware said there would be a simultaneous release of Linux and Mac binaries with the initial release.

Still, I'm pretty confident that once the Linux client is released that they will continue to support and improve them.

Just a note though, the initial Linux binaries are likely to be buggy - I think they are releasing an open beta to start with. So don't complain about how bad they are (if they are), but instead just report bugs nicely. There has already been enough shouting and complaining done :)
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just a note though, the initial Linux binaries are likely to be buggy - I think they are releasing an open beta to start with. So don't complain about how bad they are (if they are), but instead just report bugs nicely. There has already been enough shouting and complaining done

They had 7 months extra time, even a monkey could have learned some c++ in that time and made a client, sorry, but I dont think it is unreasonable after everything bioware lied about that we get a client that is at least as stable as the windows version

Besides that I really think they ought to offer free data cd's for people who dont want to download more than 1GB and dont have a windows install, When you purchase a product you can expect it to work (nwn should work on linux and windows when I bought it 6 months ago, so no extra can legally be required of me to make it work)

And with each screw-up at bioware some new shouting and complaining will be done (so thats probably not finished yet)

According to their new deadline the got until march 19th (end of winter), so that is almost 8-9 monts late!!

The only real thing I blame bioware is they fact that they kept lying about the client while they knew that not a single thing had been done about the development (and that they didn even think of portability before using certain technologies, the cd cab format was probbably the stupidest thin I have ever seen), they tricked me into buying the game on the bases of information that they made up...that something a good company wouldn't do
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, back off... I personally congratulate bioware for even supporting linux! so they took longer... so they didn't tell u right away... so what? they're doing it aren't they? I prefer to wait 7 more months and have a working client (even if it is a beta) than bitching about it (and you're not even paying for it!)

I think the fact that every week they post the status of the port is excelent, not many (none?) dev teams have the courage to do that... at least it shows you they haven't stopped
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a copy so I am defininately paying for it, I bought it based on the information that bioware gave (which they knew was false), thats why I am bitching over it..

The scarce information now, the total lack of info the first months and the absurd amount of time that they are taking (the game is only 1/2 of the retail price now compared to when it was just released, most friends of my stopped playing it already) are really unproffesional of a commercial company

That most people assume that I must be happy with a company that lies to its customers and works at a very slow pace (with meager results) just because the were so nice to consider a linux client (cosider, its not out yet and judging bioware on past performances it still not certain what the outcome will be) irritates me..

yes, I like bioware for making (or trying to) a linux client, but it cant make up for they way they lied and the slow pace of development...

I rather have companies that do things rather than talking about it (and not doing one bit)

If they put out a beta (which runs with decent speed and stability) then I will stop bitching (so I have a full month left at least) :)
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, we're all annoyed at what's happened. We've made it very clear. But I like to keep an open mind on what exactly happened.

You probably know, and if you don't then you should, that the designers of the game, the programmers, the artists - are not necessarily the same people. And it may have been that the game designers said "Let's work for a simultaneous release on the 3 platforms Windows, Mac, Linux." Then, higher ups said "right you've been working on this game too long. Get it out or we're shutting it down." So they said to themselves "We don't have the other two platforms, and management is cutting our legs off, lets release the Windows client now so we can keep this game, then finish the Mac and Linux later." They do that, and we scream.

So the point has been made. Now they are releasing it. Just remember that Bioware the company is made up of many people. And just like you can't hold the girl at the register responsible for the pricing of a product or some other complaint, nor should you hurry to blame the developers or whoever when it may just not be their fault.
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uranus wrote:
dude, back off... I personally congratulate bioware for even supporting linux! so they took longer... so they didn't tell u right away... so what? they're doing it aren't they? I prefer to wait 7 more months and have a working client (even if it is a beta) than bitching about it (and you're not even paying for it!)

Not paying for what?
Doctor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:
Bioware used a cab format that isnt supported for linux, so your nwn cd's are useless, this was just more proof that they haven't given portability a thought (while they already promised the linux client, how dumb can one get?)

Maybe only a small part of Bioware knows anything about linux and the rest are all hardcore microsofties? :D
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor wrote:
sgaap wrote:

Maybe only a small part of Bioware knows anything about linux and the rest are all hardcore microsofties? :D

A lot of people I know are casual microsoft haters who have no ideas about the alternatives and wouldn't understand the differences if I tried to explain them.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And it may have been that the game designers said "Let's work for a simultaneous release on the 3 platforms Windows, Mac, Linux." Then, higher ups said "right you've been working on this game too long. Get it out or we're shutting it down." So they said to themselves "We don't have the other two platforms, and management is cutting our legs off, lets release the Windows client now so we can keep this game, then finish the Mac and Linux later." They do that, and we scream.

1. it was already decided a long time ago to make a linux port, so they had some time to work on it and even think about how to design the game and the cd's
2. finishing the mac and linux client later is no problem for me, thats not why I am irritated

The delay is not my initial problem, but the lies...why lie about it if they just could have said "work on the linux client has not been done, the game was not designed with portability in mind and we have crappy developers so it will take A LOT longer" in stead of "it will be a simultanious release" or "it will come shortly afterwards" (where shorly afterwards is lees then a monts looking at the linux server which was also promised "shortly afterwards" )when the knew that there had been done zero on development...

The probelm I have with them is that they tried to trick people using linux into buying their game (saying that the client was coming) , thats probably the reason the kept quiet for so long about the linux client :(

Now I can buy nwn for half the price and none of my friends play it anymore, so the game's value has dropped a lot, thats the damage bioware did, making hard promises they knew the couldnt keep (in my country you can sue companies doing that)

I am not forgetting everthing they did and kiss their butt just because they said they would do a linux client (for which the only proof are some screenshots)
bassie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT the real question remains:

Will there be ebuilds!! :D
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassie wrote:
BUT the real question remains:

Will there be ebuilds!! :D

that is not the question, because:
1. the ebuilds will be out as soon as someone will make them (shouldn't be hard considering it's only binary)
2. i doubt that there will be major upgrades to the nwn port (it will/should use updates as the win version)

...the actual question is: WHEN!!!!

sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe
Quote:

bash-2.05a# emerge search nwn
Searching...
[ Results for search key : nwn ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

* app-games/nwn-datafiles
Latest version available: 1.0
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of downloaded files: 1,128,630 kB
Homepage: http://nwn.bioware.com
Description: Neverwinternights data files

* app-games/nwn-client
Latest version available: 1.27
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of downloaded files: 5,630 kB
Homepage: http://nwn.bioware.com
Description: Neverwinternights Linux Client - only 8 months late.

Last edited by sgaap on Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NU-Slacker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bash-2.05a# emerge search nwn
Searching...
[ Results for search key : nwn ]
[ Applications found : 0 ]

I feel betrayed :)
bassie
n00b