Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How fast is gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: How fast is gentoo? Reply with quote

I'll be using gentoo as soon as I get cable internet

I've read some reviews, but I want to hear from the average user who has come from another pre-compiled distribution like Mandrake or Redhat.

How fast is gentoo? What sort of a speed increase did you notice because of compiling from source?
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, gentoo is about 1200Mhz, and gets about 2,390 bogomips.

Apart from that, faster than other dists? Certainly. In fact, I find myself running nautilus (largely because I can), on account of it's faster for me in gentoo than it ever was for redhat/slack/mdk.

On the other hand, KDE 3 is painfully slow, no matter how I compile it. I'm not willing to wait that long for anything that should be faster than that. Edit: slow in every way, actually. It takes hours to compile, and if I were to use it regularly, I would find myself wasting an hour or so every week- Wait 4 seconds for things like konqueror to start every 15 minutes or so... use the system for 8-12 hours a day... introduces about a 20 second loss every hour, so cut the middle and do 10 hours a day, and you get a 200 second loss every day. This means in the average week, I'd lose 1400 seconds (23 minutes!) to waiting for applications to start. Every three weeks, I would have lost another hour of productivity. in the real world, I'm much more active than this, and I demand more from my system. There is simply no way in hell that I could use kde 3.

As for other speed improvements... dunno. I find myself compiling so much stuff that I don't rightly think I could claim paying much attention to the actual time it takes to start and use an application. :lol:
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that KDE is slow, at least from my experience of it in pre-compiled formats. Konqueror slow to load, etc. I presume it's faster in gentoo though, just still not fast enough.

One thing that was very fast for me in KDE3 was using konqueror as a file browser once it was open. Directory contents display almost instantly, whereas when I use nautilus 2-3 seconds maybe to load and display the directory contents. Have you experienced that? Does using nautilus from source in Gentoo mean it loads directory contents instantly?
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: See previous things by me Reply with quote

I can get Gentoo to do some things faster than my debian box.
However, this is extremely remarkable, because the gentoo installation is running on vmware, on the debian box.
So, gentoo in a virtual machine is faster than debian native.
Ah-ha!

~Mac~
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyreth wrote:
Yeah, I agree that KDE is slow, at least from my experience of it in pre-compiled formats. Konqueror slow to load, etc. I presume it's faster in gentoo though, just still not fast enough.

Correct.

Quote:
One thing that was very fast for me in KDE3 was using konqueror as a file browser once it was open. Directory contents display almost instantly, whereas when I use nautilus 2-3 seconds maybe to load and display the directory contents. Have you experienced that? Does using nautilus from source in Gentoo mean it loads directory contents instantly?

I guess konqueror as a file browser was fast once you had it going, but I don't use the graphical browser for my file management. I'm a command line junkie- most of the stuff I do by rote with bash I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do with nautilus. And it does take a second or two to load a directory (depending on the directory's contents and the prettifying options you're using).

Ah, and while I'm thinking about it, I forgot to mention that I was asked how many options for kde3 i wanted to enable (more options = slower) and I did enable all of them. But I do have a 1.2 Ghz processor and 768MB to burn through. As it happens, gnome with nautilus' memory footprint consumes <100MB, and kde3 never went below 300MB. I have a few nautilus preferences disabled, but most of them are things like "previewing images over networks," so I'm not sure if I enabled something similar for KDE.

And yes, nautilus is faster with gentoo than it was under redhat. I even recompiled it (with -march=athlon-- something only available for gcc 2.96 and higher), but I didn't recompile everything nautilus uses (so most of it was still only compiled for the i386). As it happens, I've got a fast processor and lots of ram. So I use nautilus because it makes pretty screenshots-- not because I find it particularly useful. :lol:

Edit: removed a BBCode /b tag. not sure how that got in there.
Shark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, how fast? Fast enough I would say..

You can feel the speed improvements in most of the things you do. I didn't even have to do any benchmarks to actually see that the 3D-performance of my TNT2 M64 had suddenly improved. I was able to see with my bare eye that the framerate was higher than before :)
Scandium
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Debian a long time and Debian compiles everything for i386 and Gentoo gave me a huge speed improvement especially in X (using -march=i686 -O3 -pipe)
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like everyone's getting a nice speed increase. I have an athlon 1.33ghz with a Geforce 2 MX.

Is speed much better with games using nVidia's binaries with quake3 binaries? One of you said you noticed a visible framerate increase.
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well , i compiled kde 3.0.1 with the kde performance tips and ..... kde is blazing fast ( relative to others of course)

i have an athlon 700 with 256 ram

konq. takes 1 , 2 second to startup ( depending if it is the first time or not )

the whole kde startup , is very very very fast ( less than 10 seconds, if not the first time ) ... its great , actually , much faster than nautilus

although ... love those svg icons in nautilus :)
Shark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyreth wrote:
Sounds like everyone's getting a nice speed increase. I have an athlon 1.33ghz with a Geforce 2 MX.

Is speed much better with games using nVidia's binaries with quake3 binaries? One of you said you noticed a visible framerate increase.

Yes I did, on an Athlon 800Mhz with a TNT2 M64 card.. I tried different OpenGL games and programs, and was surprised to discover that the overall framerate seems to have improved. :)

I don't know if you'll notice any significant difference on a Athlon 1.33ghz with Gf2 card.. It already sounds like a pretty speedy system. But I believe that if it can improve further on that system, the framerate _will_ improve by installing Gentoo. I don't know excactly how much better it will become though, since I haven't done any benchmarking on it.
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello yagami

Quote:
well , i compiled kde 3.0.1 with the kde performance tips and ..... kde is blazing fast ( relative to others of course)

What are these tips? :-)

MACPRO machine...
JohnnyGTO
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast is relative... I've got a laptop, PII233 with 128MB ram and it is much faster with Gentoo then any other distro I've tried. That is after it spent a week installing all the software I wanted to use. KDE is snappy once each app is loaded.

My play box is a PIII 450 with 5 IBM 10000 UW scsi drives and 768MB ram (it is amazing with companies throw out, really!). I have more complaints with this then the laptop even though it is faster. It is beening held back I think by 1) the processor (anyone know what the fastest PIII slot A is?) and 2) the fact it has a PCI ATI Rage(?)PRO 128 video card. Video just doesn't seem as smooth, clean or fast as my windoze machine using a Matrox G550 (they share one of the monitors with a KVM).

But again it is faster then Mandrake and seems faster then XP (which it dual boots).
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: for the tips Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3209
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: for the tips Reply with quote

niyogi wrote:

Before you complain KDE is slow, do the things suggested in that Tips & Tricks thread. KDE is really, really fast. Snappy. Quick. Lively. Without much loading time to speak of.

Gentoo is so much more responsive and quick than Mandrake ever was. I've probably saved the time it took me to compile everything.
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thread link, I have that bookmarked for when I start installing gentoo on a couple of machines (mine, and two of my cousin's probably).
jcmkk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is definitely faster than any other distro I've tried, but a lot of the speed depends on what applications you use. That is what Gentoo is good at, you install the applications you want, and they are all compiled to run as fast as they can on your hardware. Other distros pick the software for you.
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: for the tips Reply with quote

alec wrote:
niyogi wrote:

Before you complain KDE is slow, do the things suggested in that Tips & Tricks thread. KDE is really, really fast. Snappy. Quick. Lively. Without much loading time to speak of.

Gentoo is so much more responsive and quick than Mandrake ever was. I've probably saved the time it took me to compile everything.

Ok, your kung fu is the best. Seriously, though, I can't see spending that much trouble on anything as trivial as making a slow thing go faster.
TheWart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is by far the fastest OS I have ever used, except in some instances (games specifically) windows is. THen again, most games in linux are running under some sorta wine layer which i think slows them down (FPS's that is)

On the box it said it was designed for Win XP or better, so why won't it work with Linux?
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fast tahts for sure, for me games run just a little bit faster than in windows and the programs/apps all run way faster. Its the isntalling everything from source that is slow, once finnished installing be prepared to be hauling arse though. The one complaint I have about Gentoo is the time consumption involved with installing from source off a stage1 cd. But thats the price you pay for such a configurable and optomized os.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. <-- that fast :D
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWart wrote:
Gentoo is by far the fastest OS I have ever used, except in some instances (games specifically) windows is. THen again, most games in linux are running under some sorta wine layer which i think slows them down (FPS's that is)

Score -1 (troll)

Well, are you running windows games or not? If you are, then that's to be expected (although not always true, either- wine in some cases will not emulate things that would make it go slower, which can result in improved framerate).

If you're running any of loki's ports, then your claim that "they're running under sum sorta wine layer," is false because all of loki's ports are native conversions- 100% wine-free code.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sibn wrote:
Wait 4 seconds for things like konqueror to start every 15 minutes or so...

Konq starts virtually instantaneously for me. People who complain about KDE application start-up times might benefit from reading the sticky topic in the Tips and Tricks ( I think ) forum on Name Resolution.

KDE will do a resolve on you everytime you open something. This is not slow if you configure name resolution properly - but it will be if you have not.

Regards.
Curious.
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
sibn wrote:
Wait 4 seconds for things like konqueror to start every 15 minutes or so...

Konq starts virtually instantaneously for me. People who complain about KDE application start-up times might benefit from reading the sticky topic in the Tips and Tricks ( I think ) forum on Name Resolution.

KDE will do a resolve on you everytime you open something. This is not slow if you configure name resolution properly - but it will be if you have not.

Regards.
Curious.

Name resolution is not an object. I know how to set up my resolv.conf (which I had done -long- before I started coming here), and I run my own DNS server on my 100 base T lan. If KDE is slow, that's an engineering fault with KDE.

Not that I expect KDE zealots to consider the possibility that their favorite software is flawed in some way. :roll:
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sibn wrote:

Name resolution is not an object. I know how to set up my resolv.conf (which I had done -long- before I started coming here), and I run my own DNS server on my 100 base T lan. If KDE is slow, that's an engineering fault with KDE.

Not that I expect KDE zealots to consider the possibility that their favorite software is flawed in some way. :roll:

I agree, I don't think my slow startup times are due to a name server misconfiguration.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sibn wrote:

Indeed, the software has faults, but the faults don't seem to manifest for everyone [1], and name resolution seems to be a common cause of load delays on vanilla KDE / Gentoo installations. I had this problem until I remembered to go and check the hosts,bind order of /etc/resolv.conf.

I love this whole "zealot" thing. It gives me a really fuzzy feeling about the Linux community to know that internal division is not the sole province of, say, biker gangs.

Can we have a browser war next week? Pretty please?

Yours in faint annoyance,
Curious.

[1] For example, myself.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: