Quick Search: in
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Avatar Troubles Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm having a little trouble uploading my avatar. I made an animated gif avatar, but when I select it on my local drive and try to upload it, the profile page just pauses for a moment, saying "conntecting to forums.gentoo.org" at the bottom of the browser, and then nothing happens (the page is basically just reloading exactly the way it was before I pressed the submit button)

I have tried the following:

1. Reading all search results for the word avatar going back amost one year... couldn't find anything.

2. Uploading a different gif. Works fine!?!

3. Uploading a text file... site does what it is supposed to, tells me that I need to use gif, png, etc.

4. Renaming, moving, checking permissions, everything on the gif.

It is like to site is not processing my request at all. It doesn't tell me it is too large or that the file size it too big... it just reloads the page.

If anyone has any ideas or a link to a similar post, please let me know, since I feel so naked without an avatar :)

Thanks alot.

PS - I realize that having an avatar is not that big of a deal... but I just want to get it working because it doesn't. If someone wants I could send them the gif via email or something.... again... thanks!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Avatar Troubles Reply with quote

red_over_blue wrote:
2. Uploading a different gif. Works fine!?!
So, you can load gif B, but not gif A? What are the file sizes?
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to work for some and not for others.

Right now I have another tab open, and I have browsed to the location of my new avatar. When I hit "submit", nothing happens, the page just refreshes.

If I were to put in another filename in the same directory, it will at least process it, maybe it is too big, wrong type, whatever, but it will do something.

v

Yeah... just tried a 4 meg gif and it told me that it was too big.

v

Then I changed to my new avatar, hit submit, again... nothing!?!

My old avatar was 8.1K (which worked fine), then I wanted to change to this new one, which is 7.9K (I know it says 7K, but it accepted my 8.1K avatar, and I can't optimize it any further).

Anyway... thanks for any help. I will just keep trying to submit it, try to get it smaller, rename it, ect... and hopefully I will just get lucky and it will take it.
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I just figured something out while I was typing my last reply. I was thinking that possibly this effect had something to do with the way that phoenix was caching the page info.

I fired up mozilla, and everything works as it should (my new avatar is still too big, but at least I know that for sure now!!!)

Thanks again for your help.... I know this really didn't solve the problem, but at least I know that when I am submitting an avatar now it will be accepted if it meets all the requirements.
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... as you can hopefully see, I got it working. Had to make the avatar again to get it a little smaller, and use mozilla to upload it, but it worked in the end.

Cheers.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it working. Would now be a bad time to point out that it is too dark to clearly see what it is?
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! :)

Actually... it is a scene from the matrix reloaded trailer. Maybe I'll try to "lighten it up a little"!
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)
I'm an old man and my eyes are not was they used to be and I see something moving around in your avatar, but I can not really figure out what it is. This makes me feel even older and more vulnerable. I think I need to retire and start growing oranges. They are at least big enough for me to see and the color is bright enough that i will not take them for lemons and eat one! :twisted:

Erik
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I need to retire and start growing oranges.

No, please don't do that! We all know from The Godfather that you'll get a heart attack shortly after...
The animation *is* too dark. But maybe I'm just old too.

Yours,
Larde.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, here is where the Gerontoos meet! 8) Glad I finally found this thread for the elderly. My eyes are still ok in spite of my methusalemic age, but my first thought was "Hey, fire-flies on a moonless night! Nice idea..."
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update....

I have realized that there is definitely a problem with phoenix and this board. I just tried writinga post, and again when I hit submit, nothing happened. The page won't process my button presses.

However, I am typing this in phoenix, and it seems that it will work (the preview button worked). I haven't figured out if there is something the same in each case that is causing the problem.

Anyway... just though I would let the maintainers of the site know.

I love this site, but would hate to have to fire up mozilla everytime I actually want to interact with it.

Thanks for your time.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red_over_blue wrote:
I have realized that there is definitely a problem with phoenix and this board.
klieber uses phoenix, and has never reported any problems. I think kanuslupus does too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: