Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
tecknojunky wrote:
No problem. It does offer GL support, but only for some Matrox cards only.

Just to clarify, Matrox cards are the only ones supported for hardware acceleration. Other card will work, but only with software acceleration.
Now *youy* got me :oops: ;)

Good luck with your attempt.
Sephiroth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
Since DirectFBGL uses Mesa for OpenGL and Mesa had an old project (Utah-GLX) that supported hardware acceleration for NVidia cards, I'm going to try and combine them for hardware accelerated OpenGL with DirectFB on my NVidia card.

::EDITTED FOR CLARITY::

Unfortunaley, I found out that this will not work. DirectFBGL uses DRI for hardware exceleration and Utah-GLX doesn't support DRI. Also, the Utah-GLX drivers is only supported in XFree.
:cry: Bummer!:cry:
vthokiestm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruor wrote:
does anyone know if xdirectfb will function with gdm ? and if not will it work with kdm?

:D I found this thread to get gdm working...
http://www.mail-archive.com/directfb-users@directfb.org/msg01783.html

you change /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf to point to DirectFB

<snip>
In /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf set the line 'VTAllocation=false'
Take note of the lines:
'StandardXServer=/usr/X11R6/bin/X' &
'command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X'
Either change those 2 lines to point to /usr/X11R6/bin/XDirectFB or
remove & re-create the symlink /usr/X11R6/bin/X to point to
/usr/X11R6/bin/XDirectFB.
You can also set other options for the X server on the 'command' line.

eg. 'command=/usr/X11R6/bin/XDirectFB -enableRoot -defaultOpacity 200
-ac -nolisten tcp'
</snip>
Cheesepie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ content removed, DMCA ]

Last edited by Cheesepie on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
chrono325
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, am I completely missing the point, or do you need xdirectfb _and_ xorg or xfree? I tried startxdfb with just xdirectfb, but it complained about not being able to find xauth or xinit. Am I missing something big, or is there just something wrong with my install. I would like to be able to use xdirectfb becaue of its smaller footprint (I'm trying for a liveUSB flash drive). When I tried to emerge fluxbox or any window manager, it failed to find X during the config phase. I basically want the lightest weight X server I can find, and xdirectfb claims to be light, or at least better than Xorg.
Thanks

Playing russian roulette with Reiser4 since 9/10/04.
Pentium 4 Northwood 2.4Ghz, NPTL, udev, initng, gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r6 with reiser4: How would you like to hardlock today?
Sky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few word of partial success, with a intel855GM graphic card and a P-M 1.4

I tried xdirectfb in parallel with xorg, booting one or the other with Qingy as my kernel was using FB anyway (driver i810).

It installed without problem, and work nicely. I had a problem with the double click, but it was solved by deleting my /dev/psaux.
/dev/psaux was a link towards /dev/misc/psaux so directfb detect two mouses and so --> two clicks. On the other hand working at the same time with the touchpad and an external usb mouse works perfectly.

What is working :
- nearly everything not graphically intensive, Firefox, Thunderbird, OOffice, all my WindowMaker docklets (wmbutton, wmxmms, wmnd,wmlaptop...)
- The speed to have the screen from qingy already in FB, is of course impressive when compared with the starting of X
- Starting of applications and responsiveness SEEMS faster, although a clock gives me roughly the same result for the starting in X or FB. Optical illusion ?? I didn't do extensive tests.

What is not working:
The background menu in WinMaker (logical the 'background" as such is completly different)
Everything graphic intensive, is either so slow it is unusable or crashed with the notable exception of mplayer that works very well. But the front-end gmplayer doesn't libe it.

This is, with exactly the same configuration as in xorg, so some optimisation is probably possible but I didn't search. (yet ! :twisted: )
So a wonderful server ( changing the transparency with the scroll wheel, coool), but still in beta.

Install it and give it a try, you won't regret it but it is far from ready for production , which the developpers never say it was....

Last edited by Sky on Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always figured Intel cards would work pretty well, because the graphics drivers for real applications are a lot more stable than the two big gaming brands. :-)
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm going to bite - I'm convinced I want to try XDirectFB, but there is _SOMETHING_ wrong the installation. Dozens of people have reported that when they run 'emerge xdirectfb' that at the end of it's hours-long compilation, somewhere, somehow, the binary XDirectFB doesn't exist. I've experienced it myself, and I have the latest versions of directfb and xdirectfb, I have the right USE and ACCEPT_KEYWORDS flags, everything, but there's no luck.

I've submitted a bug report, but I'm really disappointed. Has anyone resolved this?
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why some people have that problem while others don't. I know that when I tried it, the binary did exist. The whole thing just ran like crap, so I ended up deleting it anyway. ;-)
Dantist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOps - it doesn't work :( It seems that it cant parse 2 strings of my initrc :( then i start xdirectfb it says loading, but nothing happens - no errors, or anything... I know it takes some time to start up, but not all night !!!! (by accedent i startet it and forgot about it so it tried to startup the whole night...) I tried with vesafb and atyfb - result is the same... it doest depend on kernel - i've tried gentoo-dev-sources & nitro... XSESSION env also seems not to affect this behavior... Video card is ati rage lt 4mb (laptop Compaq Frmada M300)
desertstalker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The default vesa framebuffer does not provide any refresh rates greater than 60hz. nor does it pay attention to the resolution specified in the video= line. you need to use a vesa mode number for the res you wnat and the vga= line.

IF you wnat better control of resolutions and refresh rates use vesafb-tng (its in gentoo-dev-sources)
Predatory Kangaroo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guero61 wrote:
Okay, I'm going to bite - I'm convinced I want to try XDirectFB, but there is _SOMETHING_ wrong the installation. Dozens of people have reported that when they run 'emerge xdirectfb' that at the end of it's hours-long compilation, somewhere, somehow, the binary XDirectFB doesn't exist. I've experienced it myself, and I have the latest versions of directfb and xdirectfb, I have the right USE and ACCEPT_KEYWORDS flags, everything, but there's no luck.

I've submitted a bug report, but I'm really disappointed. Has anyone resolved this?

Yep, I'm experiencing this too - doesn't look like the bug report is going anywhere, so I've downgraded to the stable architecture build of DirectFB (0.9.20-r1) and am currently emerging XDirectFB again.

If I don't get any luck with this, I'm going to have to delve much deeper into the make process.
If I can actually do anything with this, I'll post again here.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've encountered the no binary created error too, and read somewhere on the forums that this is a gcc 3.4 problem. Is everyone else who encountered this problem using 3.4?
If so, a gcc-config to 3.3 should fix the problem, but I have to upgrade my 3.3 version before I can try this.
JohnX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to gentoo and these forums (but not to linux :wink:), so forgive me if this has already been resolved and I'm just bringing up a dead thread. I found a couple patches here that seem to be related to the error that xdirectfb complains about when it fails to compile. I've applied them and they *seem* to at least let libdirectfb.a compile which was the at least one of the problems. I'm doing the full 'make World' now but if I waited until it was done I'm sure I'd forget to post anything. I'll try and remember to post back here if it works. 8)

-John
JohnX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha! It works! I haven't done much testing but at least it runs and I can move the cursor around. This is with DirectFB 0.9.21 with fusion support.
rshadow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get xdirectfb to work .. but I have a problem . after emerging xdirectfb the file /usr/X11R6/bin/XDirectFB does not exist!
Xargon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rshadow wrote:
I'm trying to get xdirectfb to work .. but I have a problem . after emerging xdirectfb the file /usr/X11R6/bin/XDirectFB does not exist!

Same problem here. I've tried this on two seperate machines: one a laptop with a Rage 128 Mobility, the other a desktop with a Matrox G400. Both machines are running the stable builds of DirectFB, but neither has the XDirectFB executable after emerging.
Dr Meduza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xargon wrote:
rshadow wrote:

Same problem here. ...

same problem :(
Nemesis_cR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Meduza wrote:
Xargon wrote:
rshadow wrote:

Same problem here. ...

i have same problem. are there that sovle this problem? :cry:
Naguissa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: XDirectFB Reply with quote

Another one whith tahta problem :cry:

¿Wich X server for a Pentium II 233 with 64Mb of RAM? XOrg is too much slow, heavy.
Dr Meduza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: XDirectFB Reply with quote

Naguissa wrote:
Another one whith tahta problem :cry:

¿Wich X server for a Pentium II 233 with 64Mb of RAM? XOrg is too much slow, heavy.

I have on my notebook Damn Small Linux
I dont know what it use but after boot (with started Fluxbox+icons,some dock aplications a background picture) it have used about 25MB of ram for aplications :roll:
BTW: my notebook AMD K6-2+ 400 1.4V 8) 88MB ram :roll: and 20G disk
wilho
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis_cR wrote:
Dr Meduza wrote:
Xargon wrote:
rshadow wrote:

Same problem here. ...

i have same problem. are there that sovle this problem? :cry:

Count me in. This is reported as a bug in last year, but still remains unresolved.

X server and its developent in linux is in bad shape if you ask me. A lot of ppl (including me) still got random lockups with Xorg, and in its current state it is such a slow, sluggish memory hog anyway.

Xgl looks like my saviour, but it's not there yet.
rshadow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe somebody could do a ebuild for Xgl instead. I'm really looking for a light weight x server.
wilho
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something to try out if you haven't heard of KDrive before. You'll need to forget mouse wheel and DRI.
r2d2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, and now a question:
Anyone have a working xdirectfb with GL?
I am using a matrox g200 and having a trouble to get directfbgl to work. I compiled everything from cvs including directfb. xdirectfb works here but I want GL support. I rewrote a xdirectfb ebuild so it's patching a xorg sources. Could that be the problem? But in xdirectfb cvs there is a xorg patch diff. Help?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: