View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajendra82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Help, the presence of file .fonts.cache-1 causes problems Reply with quote

I upgraded to kde 3.1 and I made the mistake of clicking on the fonts installer part of control center. It has two tabs, and the clicking on the second tab has popped up a dialogue window. I don't remeber the exact contents of it but it was something to the effect of asking me a question because, this was the first time I had done this. It messed around with my font settings and somehow screwed them up.

Now if I have a .fonts.cache-1 in my home directory mozilla does not launch and fluxbox with AA enabled shows no text at all (AA disabled works). If I delete the file then mozilla lauches alright and fluxbox works with AA. All kde application work fine with or without the file first being there. Once I lauch mozilla the first time the file gets generated and second attempt at starting mozilla will only cause a spinning hourglass cursor and a button on the application list for a few seconds followed by a faliure to launch mozilla until I delete the offending file. In kde 3.1 I have AA enabled and sub pixel hinting checked. I ran my system fine with the same settings in rc6. The contents of my .fonts.cache-1 say this:

Code:

"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/" 0 1041310439 ".dir"
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/sharefont/" 0 1041310439 ".dir"
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/" 0 1041310439 ".dir"
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/" 0 1041310440 ".dir"
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" 0 1041310439 ".dir"

On a possibly unrelated issue, since installing kde I have been unable to launch gnome. Deleting the .fonts.cache-1 file makes no difference. All I get is a mometary look at the splash screen followed by being dumped to the kdm login screen. Prior to install of kde-3.1 final everything was honkey dorey. I am too much of a Linux noob to figure out how to solve both problems. All help is appreciated.

Last edited by rajendra82 on Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not running it already, you could see if
Code:

# /etc/init.d/xfs start

helps at all.
rajendra82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did the trick. The odd thing is the problem is fixed even after I issue:

Code:

/etc/init.d xfs stop

Thanks for your help. Among all of the problems I have ever encountered in Linux, the font configuration problems seem the most difficult to solve. I am still very lost, as to reason why the problem happened in the first place, and why it is fixed now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: