Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Use GentooOSX to fetch Gentoo-ppc stuff
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
servobf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Use GentooOSX to fetch Gentoo-ppc stuff Reply with quote

I've got this idea, and think it is probably possible, but wanted to know if anyone has actually done it before.

Suppose I've got Gentoo and OSX installed to dual boot and Gentoo is installed on an ext3 partition. I'd use ExtFSManager [1] to mount the Gentoo partition while in OSX. (Here comes the tricky part?) I'd then configure Gentoo-OSX to fetch the ppc sources so that 'emerge -f fluxbox' would grab the sources and place them in the right place on the Gentoo disk. I would then reboot into Gentoo and type 'emerge fluxbox' where it would see that fluxbox was already downloaded and just build it.

Sound possible? How complicated?

Here's why it'd be usefull for me and probably others: I have only wireless internet access most of the time. I could have wired access for a while to do the initial install (or use a Universal CD), but beyond that it's a bit sketchy.

Thanks a ton!

Michael Moore

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/ -- I use it and it works great on OSX 10.3
pindar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that should be possible. I had made /usr/portage a symlink beteen gentoo and OS X for a while. The problem is that extfsmanager doesn't work with 10.4 any more. Actually, the sources are no different for ppc and macos-ppc, it's just the configuration and compilation that differ. Good luck!
servobf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: It seems to be working well Reply with quote

OK. This seems to be working quite well, and may help others who don't have wired access all the time to update their system.

I installed gentoo and the ext3 OSX driver, and made symlinks from the gentoo install of these places to OSX.

/etc/portage
/var/db/pkg
/var/lib/portage
/usr/lib/portage
/usr/portage
/var/log/emerge.log
/etc/make.conf
/etc/make.globals
/etc/make.profile

When I run 'emerge -f whatever' it gets the things I want to install for gentoo ppc. I reboot, and run 'emerge whatever' and it builds (of course).

Thanks,

Michael
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: