Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gnome 2.2 vs kde 3.1 - there can be only ONE!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

which is better ? Kde 3.1 or Gnome 2.2 ?!??
kde 3.1 for sure
42%
 42%  [ 108 ]
'sif gnome 2.2 doesn't kick ass!
41%
 41%  [ 105 ]
ok.. so I can't decide - they are both shagadelic baby
15%
 15%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 253

jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome lacks so many features compared to kde so i have to say that kde is a lot better.

guess gnome is faster, but it doesnt matter when you have over 1GHz machine and above 256 ram.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm yeah, I like the way both dms attract coders and spawn projects and little neat proggies we all like to use (remember the times before kppp was written? Helped me a lot to start linux on the desktop in the kde1 beta days).
I always loved linux for making useful machines out of old hardware where win was too much for it.
The latest releases were too bloated for me and too much the step torwards an "all in one" solution.
So now I use a small wm (xfce4 atm) and kde/gnome apps.
In my view that's the way it should be seen, a desktop is what you make it and not what a bunch of programmers produce for you.
The conclusion is none of the two is the better but you can make one of them (or both) more useful to you than any other desktop solution.
Mindstab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrllock beat me to it, but e17

As for the above 2. Probably gnome. My first exoeriance was with kde, but now, blah. I don't know
They both seem unapealing, but gtk is at least in more use than qt so i dont have to skin things not technically suported by my desktop env. Unless I stop using gtk apps altogether. screw that. alot of the kde apps are qt powered replacments for gtk apps
which arent gnome apps so much as apps doing a job using gtk.
kde is bloated.
gnome is kind of useless and annoying in some caes. Its a tough choice
Just let me stick with E.
So
Very
Good
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer KDE but tried GNOME once and found it usable too. Right in the moment i'm considering to switch to something leaner like wmaker or fluxbox. I'm just using konqui, kmail, cervisia (and wc3 8) ) and a whole lot of xterms so there seems to be no real reason for all the bloat.

From a developers point of view kde seems to be better designed than GNOME. If i had to write a GUI-app i would write it for KDE rather than for GNOME.

Sulu
PS: Do you remember good old fvwm2? It was snappy even with my old P266-box.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay! Gnome is winning!!
museX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

between kde & gnome, gnome is the best.

But e17 is the best window manager
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always tried to like KDE...because i've always heard great things about it. I've tried versions since the beggining, but I just HATE it - with a sort of hate that incurs rage.
Gnome has always be awesome, and I always have loved it. In fact, I'm going to go sleep and stare at the picture of gnome desktop posted on the pillow next to me. :wink:
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like gnome only because it lets me get quite close to Aqua. For the rest I think it is very Ok but most themes for it man!.. In comparisison: KDE looks like a fresh cnackey apple and gnome like a ... stale banana. The trouble you have changing gnome to look a bit more appealing is pretty much when compared to kde. In gnome 2.2.0 the theme manager didn't even work until I found out I had to stop fam-oss :(
And also Icons, although being "themable" now, are/were not as easily installed in Gnome. As for speed. I don't see gnome being any faster than KDE. On the contrary, the KDE gui is definitvely faster and KDE looks great without font anti-aliasing (which I definitively hate)

KDE 3.1 on the other hand as developed in such a way that now my two favorite sites stopped displaying correctly in konqueror, my favorite webbrowser. I hope it is fixed soon :( (can't fix it myself before spending a few years learning how to program).

Well I can only add that most of the apps I use most are gtk 1.2 apps:
sylpheed-claws gqview gimp xmms (mplayer? xine?..) etc

Now what can you conlcude from that?
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, from that I'd conclude that people not aligned to a particular desktop environment seem to be choosing GTK+ instead of Qt... note also that Mozilla uses GTK+, deep down inside.

However, this might be from the (to me) irrational hatred of C++ a lot of UNIX developers seem to have. Personally, I much prefer C++ to C - but I'm really not keen on Qt's approach, so I write stuff using gtkmm2, which is great. Really fits the way I think (well, most of the time anyway, TreeViews are just as evil as they are in C). I wonder how much anti-C++ feeling would go away if g++ got fast.

As for the desktop environment - GNOME 2.2 all the way! GNOME 2 has been a rather rocky road all told, but 2.2 is really starting to look good now. Sure there are still problems... and they never should have released 2.2 final with the bugs I'm still experiencing, it feels more like it should have been rc3 - but it's almost there. Hopefully there'll be bugfix releases soon, so that the notification applet doesn't segfault on logout and the theme manager and fam play nice.

But despite those, I still prefer GNOME. KDE is just... I don't know... clunky!

Of course, I'll be a lot happier when gvim for GTK 2 is stable (it's getting there, I hear).
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Kde although I use neither of them as a whole DE but rather prefer to stick with a slim wm (waimea at the moment - I'm still in a transparency fever) and use bits and bytes of each as I see fit.
So why did I vote for KDE? (considering the fact that in the days of gnome 1.0 - 1.2 I was a fanatic gnome-head)
Both DEs have evolved to look "cooler" and easier for the user... However they seam to not share the same opinions on what's easy and practical for the user. Gnome tries to look "funky" with tons of eye-candy but misses the point... or, perhaps, it gets the point the way MS does: babysitting! It's a classic to say that KDE is closer to the windows paradigm but I've found out that these similarities are limited to the looks and the structure of the dialogs but not thew philosophy. I don't have to run konqueror to enter the configuration controls.... nor do I see any "start-here" crap on my desktop... All of the controls are concentrated on ONE big panel (like the gnome 1.x used to) with a nice tree structure. Gnome comes with it's own TT font rendering on-top of freetype so you _have_ to lose some extra time figuring that out too... Nautilus managed to get a lesser behemoth of what it was in 1.4 and 2.0 (read: runs at decent speeds) but offers far less functionality than konqueror (read: embedded viewing, split views and - now - tabs too) and even those that offers don't seam to work equally well (I can't see why I can access samba shares through konq with smb:// while Nautilus finds none... dohh). KDE comes with a bunch of extremely useful little tools wich have either no gnome counterpart or one that is less practical/featured/good-looking (kfloppy, kdiskfree, kwikdisk, kdict, krdc etc.) Kmail can do wonders without being that beast of evolution (I'm of the opinion that a mail client is a mail client and not a calendar/agenda/organizer/mail client) while still connecting perfectly to the kaddressbook (which works as stand-alone software). Granted, neither DE's terminal is to my likings so I use Eterm (ok, it's a bit of a chore finding out all the exact options on the command before you enter that "paragraph" in the wm's menu). GTK's FileSelect is nowhere near the practicity of the corresponding kde dialog (so it _does_ match patterns with wildcards but I _didn't_ know that until someone said so in these forums, and that's a tell-tale story on its "friendlyness"). Frankly, most of the gnome/gtk apps I use are still gtk1 (e.g. xchat, gcombust) and those that are gtk2 were still pretty ok while gtk1 (gedit for example) and offer nothing new other than the gui change. KDE's upgrades ARE upgrades, always adding new functionality. Gnome's upgrades are mostly CHANGES over the looks and shuffling around things so you have to spend an evening figuring out where on earth everything went...
As I said before, I was very fond of gnome in its earlier days (able to program in every language on earth - even braile :P - no monolithic mega-tools, slim and comfy terminal, flexibility on the wms, great themes.) Sadly, all that I liked either didn't get any better or even got worse. KDE on the contrary went lightyears ahead since its 1.x releases. Anyone remember that kfm file manager? It seams centuries ago... How much more _functionality_ (not looks) did nautilus bring over gmc though? Jeez, even two-pane fms (gentoo, krusader, mc) or popup-multipanels like Rox or E17's native one are faster to use than that!
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I go for Gnome. I did try KDE 3 once and although it provides a nicer environment, is slightly easier to customise and give a good suite of "built-in" applications, all my favourite apps (Galeon, Sylpheed, Pan) are GTK+ or Gnome based, so I stick with Gnome. Gnome also looks nicer and is less bloaty, or it was less bloaty until Nautilus came along.

One complaint about Gnome is that it's a lot more difficult to customise. If you happen to like the colours provided by one of the themes, fine. But things like changing the title bar colour of the windows which KDE and Windoze allow to do easily, require tricky hand-editing of the theme files. I can do this easily, but the new user who is not used to hand-editing files just to get the colours right may get rather stuck and find their ideal customisations limited to just fonts and desktop background, not enough!

Also, it is just me or does Gnome 2.2 miss out some features from Gnome 1.4? 1.4 provided a facility to automount CDs when inserted, that's gone. 1.4's Workplace Switcher had a cool way of filling in the thumbnails with miniature versions of the window contents, that's gone. You used to be able to tear-off menus, that's gone. I'm sure more is missing as well.

Also I was deeply disappointed when Gnome 2.0 did not include "Aislerot" the suite of card games (it only had Freecell), very pleased to see it return in 2.2!
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: eh... Reply with quote

There is a difference between "which one is better" and "which one do you prefer", which I think would've been a better choice of wording.

Personally I strongly prefer Gnome above KDE, but I think KDE is better.
H-Pi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it that kde has it's own dir in /usr and it's own way to run programs, that all the stuff is put in kdelibs and kdebase, that you can't just emerge konqueror

I see gnome is very much on the good way now with 2.2, always fell back to gnome if I tried some other DE after a while using it
crichards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran GNOME 2.0 on Debian, and I liked it. Then I installed SuSE 8 (it saved my system), and fell in love with KDE 3.0. When I started with Linux, I didn't like KDE, and migrated over to WindowMaker. However, I am using KDE 3.1 now, so its safe to say I like KDE better.

Go KDE!
SmegTheLight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have picked Gnome with out any thought if it was not for ONE reason:

The Gnome File Open/Save dialog box sucks..

When I open a directory full of files, I should at least be able to hit the first letter of the file, and have the file list goto the first file with that letter.

For Instance - Trying to find an executable in the bloated /usr/bin directory to make a new launcher for it. I expect to be able to right click, create launcher, browse, hit a few letters of the filename, double click on it, and be done..

Instead I have to scroll down through pages of crap to find the file I want if god forbid it happens to start with a p or some other middle letter :(

WAIT - Maybe two reasons..
The lack of Gnome 2.x programs - so much is stuck at 1.x
bs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer KDE over Gnome, because i think it is the better desktop environment. (I tried Gnome 2.0, but quickly switched back to KDE).

Besides i also use openbox.
bs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer KDE over Gnome, because i think it is the better desktop environment. (I tried Gnome 2.0, but quickly switched back to KDE).

Besides i also use openbox.
ZuBsPaCe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
Fuck em both. I use Waimea, and I would use fluxbox, blackbox, Windowmaker and openbox all over the two above.

What bloated pieces of software... :twisted:

wow, i looked at those waimea screenshots and all i can say is: WOW 8O
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlightenment..

My GPG/PGP Public key
slougi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmegTheLight wrote:
I would have picked Gnome with out any thought if it was not for ONE reason:

The Gnome File Open/Save dialog box sucks..

When I open a directory full of files, I should at least be able to hit the first letter of the file, and have the file list goto the first file with that letter.

For Instance - Trying to find an executable in the bloated /usr/bin directory to make a new launcher for it. I expect to be able to right click, create launcher, browse, hit a few letters of the filename, double click on it, and be done..

Instead I have to scroll down through pages of crap to find the file I want if god forbid it happens to start with a p or some other middle letter :(

WAIT - Maybe two reasons..
The lack of Gnome 2.x programs - so much is stuck at 1.x

I really don't understand why people bitch about the gtk file dialog. I find it much much better than the kde one. It has nice tab completion, and I can certainly pick my stuff faster using it than I can using the kde file dialog. I guess it's up to personal preference. *shrug*
slougi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkmac wrote:
Also, it is just me or does Gnome 2.2 miss out some features from Gnome 1.4? 1.4 provided a facility to automount CDs when inserted, that's gone. 1.4's Workplace Switcher had a cool way of filling in the thumbnails with miniature versions of the window contents, that's gone. You used to be able to tear-off menus, that's gone. I'm sure more is missing as well.

Don't know about the automounter, but the workspace switcher still has the little windows. You can even move them around in the workspace switcher. Also tear off menus are still there, just disabled by default: http://art.gnome.org/show_tip.php?tipID=4
pascall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kde 3.1 but... yeah there are 'buts'...

1. The new gdm is much more better looking than kdm. Especially with the gdm-themes, here we have a professionnal looking login manager...

2. I don t know for gnome, but the KDE team needs to put special emphasis on the documentation. Apart from the big ones (konqueror - kmail), many programs are insuficiently documented or not documented at all... We want to konquer the desktop market ?

3. Too many applications. We should think of a way of distributing a full coherent system with a minimum set of applications (1 media player - not 2, 1 IM agent -> kopete needs to be integrated in the kde packages...) and find a way to advertise other applications in a coherent way : just saying to the user if u want a second media player, have a look at such and such applications...

Just thoughts. But all in all kde3.1 is great - especially the new look. I just hope slicker ll get intergrated in the 4.0 release...
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slougi wrote:
...the workspace switcher still has the little windows. You can even move them around in the workspace switcher.

Yes it still has the little windows, but in GNOME 1.4 you could change them from simple boxes to miniature versions of the window contents, an option missing in GNOME 2.

To clarify what I mean, look at http://www.gkmac.co.uk/screenshot.png and at the bottom right next to the clock you see the workspace switcher (with just one workspace) and the Aislerot game window just appears as a grey box in there.

I deleted my GNOME 1.4 partition the other day so I had to make a "fake" screenshot of how GNOME 1.4 could do it. Anyway look at http://www.gkmac.co.uk/screenshot2.png and see how the anonymous grey box in the workspace switcher has become even more useful!
slougi wrote:
Also tear off menus are still there, just disabled by default: http://art.gnome.org/show_tip.php?tipID=4

Hmmm, playing around in the Configuration Editor (gconf-editor) shows a few more options here and there that don't seem to appear in any preferences windows.

Oh... There was another thing missing that I didn't mention, where has the GNOME menu editor gone? I don't really like going to Run Program again and again.
dArkMaGE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh... you guys are so lame, you call this a flame war...
whats with all this polite, sensible conversation, its a disgrace.

oh well, i guess ill just have to stick to slashdot and lkml for my daily dose of flamebait...

:)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. Please keep flamewars away from the Gentoo Forums.

dArkMaGE wrote:
ugh... you guys are so lame, you call this a flame war...
whats with all this polite, sensible conversation, its a disgrace.

oh well, i guess ill just have to stick to slashdot and lkml for my daily dose of flamebait...

:)

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: