Register a package
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Register a package Reply with quote

I converted to Gentoo from Mandrake after knowing enough about linux.
After using Gentoo for about 2 weeks, I have 1 question:
I downloaded the new grip source code from Internet and compiled it by myself (using configure, make , make install) since the grip from Gentoo is older version. How do I register the package as "installed" under portage?
If I install grip to a temporary folder and zip the folder as a binary package grip-3.0.0.tar.bz2. How do I add the meta data to this package similar to Gentoo binary package (.tbz2)? In order to install OK under Portage package system?
Thanks,
Steve D.
tvon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, it irritates me when I ask a simple question and someone dosent answer it but says "you should do this instead".....but just in case someone dosent know:

Portage determines the name of the file to download and build based on the filename of the ebuild itself, so you can normally just copy an ebuild to a new name to get the latest version.

I have not tried this with grip, but it is what I normally try first if an important program isnt available in ebuild form in the version I am looking for.

For example, the current version of irssi in portage is 0.8.4, now if a new minor revision is released (0.8.5) and I want that, I would just copy irssi-0.8.4.ebuild to irssi-0.8.5.ebuild and run 'emerge irssi'.

There are of course programs this will not work for due to developmental build processes or simply build changes....but for most established software this works fine.

Ebuilds are also very easy to make if copying the ebuild does not work.

-T

Python Powerd Web Hosting
http://www.etria.com/
Webware, Zope, CGI, More on request...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: