Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberNinja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I want to recompile my base system with ICC-7.1.006(latest in portage at the time of this post). My question is, how can i achive this with out tanking my system (1.4_rc4). Also is there an easy way to get the kernel to compile with ICC or is that a pipe dream. What flags can I use with my processors with out giving up to much stability.

Here is my /proc/cpuinfo :
Code:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 1
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 1.70GHz
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1694.898
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 3381.65

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 1
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 1.70GHz
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1694.898
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 3381.65

Four final questions I swear, are my Xeon processors capable of handeling gcc or icc binaries optimized for the P4. Where can I find out what the flags in the code listing above mean. Can I use icc with kylix3 for compiling my projects. When will I be able to complie everything with icc or is this also a pipe dream.

MOD if this post should be some where else please move to where ever you see fit.
Cheesefoam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, you won't be able to get much compiled with ICC. There are very few packages that will actually work, so I suggest you just emerge those packages by hadn, after making sure you have the "ICC" flags in your USE flags. Otherwise, ICC will seriously b0rk the system, since it is not truly gcc compatible.

As for being binary compatible, you shouldn't have to worry. Since you are using P4-core Xeons, you are golden, since ICC 7.0 and above automatically assumes the "-tpp7" P4 optimizations as default. It should be able to figure out what you have and auto adjust its vectorization schemes to cope. However, you'll probably still want to add in "-xW" to give best optimization. Also, I'd suggest that if you use the "-ipo" option, throw in "-ipo_obj" to force the creation of object files.

Currently, ICC's biggest fault is shared librares. Though it can do it, getting the whole emerge system to do it isn't really doable right now. As an example, try emerging XMMS with GCC and with ICC. It will compile in both cases, but ICC will fail to make the libxmms.so and associated libraries. If I understand the compiler documentation correctly, we should be using xild to do all linking instead of ld to not only get proper linking, but also get more optimization. I haven't figured out how to do this yet.
CoronaLover
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICC support was added to libtool 1.5, but for some strange reason Gentoo is still using libtool 1.4.1 :?

edit: I open a bug about it, https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20381
Cheesefoam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got emerges to find xild, xiar, and in some cases ifc by setting:

Code:

export LD=xild
export AR=xiar
export FC=ifc
export CC=icc
export CXX=icc

Crude, I know, but at least it was calling Xild properly. Still no *.so.? libraries, though, a la the libtool problem CoronaLover mentioned. It's really a shame, too, because it is a beautiful thing to see ICC go through and run multifile optimizations when setting up to make a library. Just no shared libraries. :(
lousyd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else using ICC? Reply with quote

Twist wrote:
I did give up on making a kernel; there is too much code that is very obviously gcc exclusive in there.

The latest LinuxWorld reports that the 2.6 kernel will be icc-compatible. Specifically, "various people were shocked to learn that the kernel also could be compiled with Intel's C++ compiler, icc. Apparently, Intel has had this as a goal for quite some time [who'da figured], and they've even submitted patches to Linus with the sole purpose of enabling their compiler to handle the kernel source tree."
felicita
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got 2 questions:
1. how to set the optimization parameters for icc w/ the new pentium-M CPU? ' -march=pentium4 -O2 -ipo -axW -xW'? or any else better?

2. I got a icc patch for kernel 2.5.45 here, and it works fine with 2.5.45 source code. wanna compile this kernel using icc, I changed linux-2.5.45/Makefile like this:
Quote:

HOSTCC = icc
HOSTCXX = icc
HOSTCFLAGS =
HOSTCXXFLAGS = -O2
CROSS_COMPILE =
AS = $(CROSS_COMPILE)as
LD = $(CROSS_COMPILE)xild
CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)icc
CPP = $(CC) -E
AR = $(CROSS_COMPILE)xiar

when 'make menuconfig' it still tells 'ld' blablalba like:

Quote:
make menuconfig
icc -Wp,-MD,scripts/.fixdep.d -o scripts/fixdep scripts/fixdep.c
ld: unrecognized option '--compile_dependencies'
ld: use the --help option for usage information

just been driven nut :_(
help~~~ thx thx
Cheesefoam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with ICC/IFC it isn't really necessary to use -march or -mcpu. These options are handled by other ICC-specific flags, but ICC is still compatible with them. Here are the flags I use for ICC compiling:

Code:

CFLAGS="-O3 -xW -tpp7 -ipo -ipo_obj"

AFAIK, using -xW usually precludes -axW: it's like the difference between -march and -mcpu. If you specify -march=pentium4, there's no real reason to specify -mcpu=pentium4. Also, I include -ipo_obj to generate object files just in case - better safe than sorry.

Additionally, ICC seems to do very well with -O3. I haven't looked at the file size versus optimization issue with it, but I find that -O3 compiled binaries tend to do much better.
felicita
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's cool to hear about -o3 works better in icc.
I read some articles that report gcc binaries w/ -O3 are sometimes faster than -O2, and depends diff. code may be bigger in size and runnig slower. then I switched from -O3 to -O2 in gcc. hehe
Cheesefoam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For GCC on my laptop, I use -Os (with -fomit-frame-pointer, -funroll-loops, and a few others...). I haven't seen any reason under ICC to be as picky with -O3 vs -O2, etc.

I only wish there was a separate variable - maybe something called ICCFLAGS and ICXXFLAGS - which we could use to store separate ICC optimization variables. Kind of a pain to hand-tool it constantly.
mart_man00
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Though it can do it, getting the whole emerge system to do it isn't really doable right now.

is any work being done for a live cd for this? i mean a whole system. patches?

since gnu seems to be more like than intel does gcc just need to get better p4 code? anything in the works?

im a newbie here trying to get even more speed, just wondering.
thanks
Cheesefoam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full system emerge probably won't be doable for a good long while. Currently ICC has enough problems generating shared libraries in a manner consistent with what is expected from GCC & friends. Above and beyond that, while the compiler itself has improved a lot, many programs use GCC-specific coding extensions which Intel has not implemented yet. There's a very few programs that will compile "out of the box", much less actually link and run properly (Povray currently is the only 100% working one, AFAIK - mpqc is 90% functional, though there are linking problems).

What has been mentioned is that following the 1.4 release, there will be some work to make Gentoo more friendly to those of us who want to use ICC. It is going to be a tremendous amount of work to say the least, to get all of the foibles identified and dealt with.

avenj is the big cheese for this work, and deserves a lot of praise for even attempting it. :D My few excursions into trying to get packages compiled with ICC/IFC met with very limited success - but some success is better than none. If you're really interested, take a crack at forcing a emerge to compile under ICC - a basic starting point is to export all necessary variables prior to starting (it's been posted in this thread before), and see what happens.

Try XMMS - I consider it a classic example of an "almost-but-not-quite" app. Compiles like a dream, and runs well - except no base plugin set, as the shared library never gets made.

Anyone ever try to compile gcc & glibc with icc? 8O
Just kidding - though maybe one of these days I'll try it, just to see how badly I can b0rk my system. :)
wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone compiled the glibc with ICC? Cause I did some (amateur) tests on my notebook, and ICC produced significantly faster code (and quicker).
voytas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishkah wrote:
Has anyone compiled the glibc with ICC? Cause I did some (amateur) tests on my notebook, and ICC produced significantly faster code (and quicker).
what icc version did you use ?

haven't you had any problems with icc-built glibc :?:
big_gie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some information about icc and gcc-config out there? I'd like to compile just certain apps with icc/ifc (not the whole system...) and right now I need to:
CC="icc" CXX="icc" F90="ifc" FC="ifc" CPP="icc" emerge mpich2
for example...
The wiki say:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ICC_and_Portage#Environmental_Variables wrote:
As there is no support for icc in gcc-config, we will have to override the variables it sets for CC and CXX. We do this by making a file in /etc/env.d that is parsed after the 05gcc file which first sets them. If icc ever gains proper portage support (through the use of cc-config or some other means) we can eliminate this file, but for the moment it is necessary to use icc as the default compiler.

Is the wiki outdated or is it really the case?

Someone managed to use gcc-config and icc together? Where can I find info on gcc-config to work on this?

Thanx!
nanoczar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone still interested in using ICC 10?
-nanoczar
Zordas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanoczar wrote:
Anyone still interested in using ICC 10?
-nanoczar

I am. do you have an ebuild for it ?
nanoczar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I am sure we could modify the older ICC ebuild to get it.
How much of your system have your built using the ICC? I would really like to get my entire system running with it but have seen many posts showing that it does not compile certain things. What is your experience with it?
-nanoczar
kEiNsTeiN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I*m interested as well. Is it faster than gcc?
magawake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a recipes for building GNU software with icc? This is a great thread to follow
magawake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twist wrote:
Obviously (having started the thread) I've been using ICC for some time. I've found it very stable and reliable with the packages it can build. The trick is of course, getting something to build - it will be great to see more ebuilds support ICC automatically, which this is hopefully the start of.

The general issues I have had are convincing libtool that ICC can actually create a shared library (it can). Due to syntax quirks and the fact that many make systems incorporate built-in versions of libtool that are outdated, they often refuse to recognize icc can do this.

I've built various apps with it successfully. Right now my system runs some really fundamental pieces that are all ICC built - gzip, bzip2, fontconfig, the various image libraries. No stability problems whatsoever.

-Twist

How exactly did you compile gzip, bzip2 ?

What is the Gentoo way and the regular way? I am curious about this...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: