Topic titles are too not long enough
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfb3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Topic titles are too not long enough Reply with quote

When I can limit my title to 60 characters I can't then add [SOLVED] to the title when the issue is resolved.

As a community these forums deal with some incredibly complex issues.
Longer topic titles would allow us to properly title the discussions and make it easier to tell what any particular discussion was actually about without having to open just about every thread to check to see if it's relevant. (As a plus, that'll probably reduce load on the server!)
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd also like it
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Topic titles are too not long enough Reply with quote

jfb3 wrote:
When I can limit my title to 60 characters I can't then add [SOLVED] to the title when the issue is resolved.

That's essentially dependent on how long your original topic is.

jfb3 wrote:
Longer topic titles would allow us to properly title the discussions and make it easier to tell what any particular discussion was actually about without having to open just about every thread to check to see if it's relevant.

Agreed, although there is one downside I see. Topic titles which are too long can start taking multiple lines on smaller resolutions, thus making the layout not as pretty. It's simply an aesthetic issue though.

It's ultimately up to the administrators, but I'm personally fine with the 60 character limit.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's an idea... make a feature for the forums, similar to bugzilla, where the topic creator can mark the thread as solved with a dropdown box? this would keep the topic size down, or even if the person maxes the limit, it won't impose too much on the system. (maybe in the max limit case, the addon could strip the end of the topic to make room for the [solved])

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
nickyim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the title limit is awful.
make it longer

PS: or you guys read and write in Chinese
A Chinese tweet within 140 chars can tell a story.
nickyim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowadays, monitors smaller than 1024*768 are numbered.

1 tiny monitors deserved ugly look, it's ok then.
2 even 1024 wide, can fit 70 chars title.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the length limit is part of the core phpbb software. I have no idea if it is configurable. Either way, we try to avoid customizations to phpbb unless necessary. Otherwise, upgrades can become problematic.

There does not appear to be an intended method of adjusting the length. A quick search indicates that phpbb version 3 does not support easily modifying the subject length.

Also, the idea behind a subject is a brief indicator of the post. Beyond a certain length, the subject ceases to perform its role.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'm guessing the length limit is part of the core phpbb software. I have no idea if it is configurable. Either way, we try to avoid customizations to phpbb unless necessary. Otherwise, upgrades can become problematic.

There does not appear to be an intended method of adjusting the length. A quick search indicates that phpbb version 3 does not support easily modifying the subject length.

Also, the idea behind a subject is a brief indicator of the post. Beyond a certain length, the subject ceases to perform its role.

It seems pretty easy though I don't know which version you have.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2135792

I'm not sure of any consequences but if there were consequences you would think others would have ran into them and would have posted on the phpbb forum.

edit: I ran into this issue before with wanting to add [solved] and not being able to do so without taking away from the usefulness of the subject. One thought was maybe agreeing that [S] would be a shorthand way of saying [solved]? I also agree that another fixed indicator of some sort separate from the title would be more logical, if possible.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: