PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above post here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
Yeah, the search sucks. That's a well-known fact. Use google and have it search just forums.gentoo.org.

++

you guys, who don't know the syntax:

Code:
site:forums.gentoo.org search sucks forum
(you'll find this topic at top)

:lol: :lol:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Urban Cowboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make version numbers search-able, would it be possible to count whitespace as a character, and a string ". " is dropped, but "." isn't? This way, periods would not be dropped, but a period followed by whitespace would be. Not sure how something like that might work..
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Cowboy wrote:
To make version numbers search-able, would it be possible to count whitespace as a character, and a string ". " is dropped, but "." isn't? This way, periods would not be dropped, but a period followed by whitespace would be. Not sure how something like that might work..

That would assume anyone at Gentoo cares that the search sucks.
micr0c0sm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well make quick-search default to the google search, or any of those other custom google searches that are good.
If not that at least make it a user preference?
acheron2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The search in its present form is annoyingly misleading.

Try searching for the phrase "C compiler cannot create executables" with Google. 258 hits.

Try searching for the same phrase with forums search. It gives ONE hit, which even doesn't contain all the necessary words.

Could you at least show a message like
"Since your search contains stopwords the results of the search are meaningless. Use Google instead."
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acheron2 wrote:

Try searching for the phrase "C compiler cannot create executables" with Google. 258 hits.

Try searching for the same phrase with forums search. It gives ONE hit, which even doesn't contain all the necessary words.

"Since your search contains stopwords the results of the search are meaningless. Use Google instead."

As I said, that would assume someone at Gentoo actually cares that the search sucks. No one cares. People have offered to help, even pledged money. Nothing changed. Nothing will ever change. It will always suck. :(
Urban Cowboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
acheron2 wrote:

As I said, that would assume someone at Gentoo actually cares that the search sucks. No one cares. People have offered to help, even pledged money. Nothing changed. Nothing will ever change. It will always suck. :(
That's why I pretty much only use it to find unanswered posts, otherwise I use google to search f.g.o.
hb0d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

er....i finally find the answers here,hope it can deal with .i searched a lot ,but none was the correct way.
btw,the forum is not easily to search for beginner.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hb0d,

Welcome to Gentoo. I've moved your post - I hope thats OK.

Use google to search the forums. Put your search terms in the search box in the normal way then add site:forums.gentoo.org
Google will only search the Gentoo forums.

You may not get the most up to date hits but it will guide you to useful threads.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
theotherjoe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy, what about putting this hint into the
sticky FAQ posts? (or is it in there already,
didnt look for it :) )
I wasn't aware of the possibility myself and
somebody else may also appreciate the info.
moonshinerat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Forum search doesn't work properly Reply with quote

Anyone else having problems with searching forums? My first search brought up irrelevant topics and posts and then I realised that I I mispelled a word in the search bar. Now I can't change my search words. Every time I try to change the words in the search bar, if I have a similar word to a previous one I've used it just deletes all of my new search words a replaces it with the old ones. All of the topics or posts come up as my last search results. This is pathetic.

On top of that, every time I search the FAQ's or anything else to contact the forum administrators about these problems it says send them an email.........TO WHERE??????? There are no contact pages, no visible email addresses, no proper homepage; how do we contact these people? The forum structure has become more frustrating than trying to correct the problem I've got. I don't remember anything about "Make the interface as impossible as possible" options when setting up phpBB, and I can't find another forum site with this issue.

Please, if you have a solution to the search bar can you post tonight so I can find an answer in the forums.

Thanks other members....... administrators please sort this out.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the above post.
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Forum search doesn't work properly Reply with quote

moonshinerat wrote:
Please, if you have a solution to the search bar can you post tonight so I can find an answer in the forums.

Thanks other members....... administrators please sort this out.

Seriously, I laughed out load when I read this bit. We've been complaining about this for 5 years. It's clearly not at the top of their to-do list.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum search doesn't work properly Reply with quote

moonshinerat wrote:

On top of that, every time I search the FAQ's or anything else to contact the forum administrators about these problems it says send them an email.........TO WHERE??????? There are no contact pages, no visible email addresses, no proper homepage; how do we contact these people?

See the email link at the bottom of the page (forum-mods@gentoo.org). As for the search, please read the rest of this thread.
aEva|
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Some tips: make sure your search terms are all 3+ letters long. Join all your terms with 'and' or check "search for all terms", otherwise the default is "or", which is probably not what you want. Use many anded search terms, and widen the search later. Try to choose obscure words if you can: unusual words that appear in an exact error message are usually very good. Things like "bug", "portage", "broken" are bad.

Do you have any recommendations for improving the search engine while still being able to upgrade phpBB in a timely fashion?

EDIT: To consolidate some search threads, I'm including the following quote from another thread. -- pjp
rac wrote:
Here's how the phpBB search function works. Each post is split into words. First, some characters are replaced. There are three classes of characters here, those that get replaced by spaces, those that get elided, and those that get left alone. Next, whitespace is used to delineate words. All words of less than 3 or more than 20 characters are dropped. Then an entry is made in the dictionary table for every word that is not in the dictionary, so that it can be referenced by number. An entry is made in a colossal table for each and every word in each and every post. That's what gets searched against.

To get back to Reformist's two examples, gnome2 is a word. 'gnome 2' is two words, one of which is impossible to match because it is one character long. "1.1.0" is three words, each of which are impossible to match, because they are one character long. One modification that it might be feasible to make would be to change the status of '.'. If it were left alone, version numbers would become searchable. However, words at the end of sentences, followed by periods, would become unsearchable, because a separate entry would be made including the period. If it were elided, the end-of-sentence problem would go away, but then you would have to search for "abiword and 110", and "2.1" would become "21" and fall under the three-character limit.

That is just rediculous. There are tens of thousands of other search forums that will display results of commonly used words. I think what the deal is-is that you guys dont want to admit it. Please get some non-lazy or knowledgable webmasters to add that support in the search forums and add some support for searching for EXACT TEXT. Your recommendations on using non common words and using words that are 3+ simply does not work. Please stop putting the blame other users and how they search for their topics. Just get with the program and write a better search forum. I am tired of typing in specific search topics and having to scour hours through the forums just to find something even remotely close to my search topic. BTW i am very familiar with scripting and know that some of the + and ++ syntaxes do not always work as they should and report back erroneous crap. Actually you know what if you guys are not going to do it, just give me write access to the forum i'll do it my **** self. And another thing; i'm just about half tempted to go use another distro all because i can't use the search forum efficiently.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aEva|,

Nobody uses the forums search because its all indexed by Google.

Just add site:forums.gentoo.org after your search terms.
The forums software in use by Gentoo is GPLed. You can run it and patch it for yourself, you do not need commit access to Gentoo to do it.

Please submit your patch to bugs.gentoo.org.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
aEva|
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
aEva|,

Nobody uses the forums search because its all indexed by Google.

Just add site:forums.gentoo.org after your search terms.
The forums software in use by Gentoo is GPLed. You can run it and patch it for yourself, you do not need commit access to Gentoo to do it.

Please submit your patch to bugs.gentoo.org.

Ya well i guess that works but still thats flying by the seat of your pants. So i guess you guys rely on someone else work thats nice. What if say (though unlikely) google just shut down because they felt like it. what would you guys do then?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aEva| wrote:
So i guess you guys rely on someone else work thats nice.

Well, aren't you relying in our work already? Better yet, you're relying on work that the phpBB's developers are doing, and so on. Remember that we are all volunteers here, you aren't paying for our services, and you can't force anybody here to things as you want.

If the current situation doesn't suit your needs, you may want to buy support services from some distribution like Red Hat.
libertytrek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Searching - what am I missing?? Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is the search functionality totally borked?

If I try to search on the simple string 'syslog-ng' (minus the quotes), it gets changed to 'syslogng ' (yes, thats a space at the end)...

I tried it with quotes too, same result...

I seem to recall a similar problem last time I tried to search...

Am I missing something?
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you get correct results, at least for syslog-ng I get a list of threads containing the string syslog-ng (with the hyphen).
libertytrek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... I should have specified...

This is when using the 'Quick Search' box at the top of every forum page, not the normal 'Search' page... yes, the normal 'Search' page works fine...
Kuang Eleven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Searching full strings? Reply with quote

This forums software has a goodly number of quirks with it... Anyhow, how do you search for a whole string, like "This is a message" as en entire string rather than 4 words. Similarly, how can you search for a words with symbols in it, like when searching for error messages. I tried quotation marks like, well, every other forums, but it just blithely strips them away. Any help?
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google 'site:forums.gentoo.org "whatever string"'

The forums search is seriously deficit, unfortunately...
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above two posts here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: