Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Start Compiling, stop, and continue later?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Edulix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Start Compiling, stop, and continue later? Reply with quote

Hey, for first, Is there any way to do this?

If not, I think it could be awesome :lol:. But, How to do this ?

The "compile your self the software" is a pretty good idea, and because of it and other things I'm now using Gentoo. However, when I do emerge mozilla, or emerge openoffice - for example - it takes too much time.

And if you, like me, have a shared computer, and if the computer can't be on at night, you'll know that it's too much difficult to compile this giants (mozilla, openoffice, and so on with your imagination, you don't need a lot for this :P).

In a compilation process, there' many files that are compiled. Someone said to me that if you stop a compilation when you just finished to compile one of this files, you could continue the compilation. If not, this will generate a corrupt binary.

So, I was thinking in this and I suggest one way which avoid you to stop a compilation, and continue it later:

You start to compile mozilla for example (emerge mozilla). Suddently, the electricity cut and your computer too (because you must think there that you haven't got a SAI :x). I could be sure that the last file you compiled is corrupt! But, all the other that you compiled before are all right! So,if you restart your computer and run another time 'emerge mozilla', it could start to compile just in the last file that were compiled before (including this of course) to the last file of mozilla.

Someone know something related that could interest me ? Any RTFM suggest :oops: ?

PD: How bold thing is the ignorance, isn't it?

Apologies for my bad english.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* ccache will allow you to break of an emerge process and start it again from scratch, but a lot quicker.

* swsusp- software suspend will allow you to suspend your work to disk and really resume later.

Both options are not perfect. Read about it, use the search :)

Powerfailures: the only answer is: get a UPS.
_Edulix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've read and then installed and used ccache.

It seems to be very good! I haven't used the other application, but also it seems to be good as well.

Thanks you man! :o
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: