90%  [ 55 ]
No
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 61

noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Make Your Own Recovery CD Reply with quote

Would anyone else like to see a way developed to automatically make a livecd for you system? Basically I would like to have an automated way of generating a stage 3 livecd, custom setup for your system. It would backup /etc, your kernel, your portage cache and world file, your system, X and some other large packages according to your use variables. You could then boot into it and use it as a regular livecd or do emerge restore. Emerge restore would reinstall your system according to your portage cache, cp /etc. It could also be setup to format / partition according your fstab. Additional options could be added like backing up /home.

After it were setup it could automatically generate an livecd-timestamp.iso. The goal would be if your system got trashed you could install quickly. It would have the additional benefits of making setups easier across identical machines, which would be handy in business.

Any ideas of how difficult this would be. How anyone else use this?
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customized LiveCD is a better (or sometimes the only) way when you want to install on the hardware which requires the kernel different than on vanilla LiveCD. Sometimes the attempt to modprobe or to compile every possible driver doesn't work well.
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be an easy way of compiling gentoo in one box and intall in other, but I don't know how hard it will be to do so
Mindstab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: goodness Reply with quote

This would be handy, because, for instance, then gentoo kernel doesn't boot my laptop... I'mp retty happy with openbsd on it, but if the situation comes up again, customization would be handy.
Also to be able to take a tailored linux environment with me would rule. :)
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, what I had in mind would be generated my a user from an existing system. It would be for backup or personal installations. The goal would not be to have Gentoo.org make it or support it.

My main intention is a simple way to backup and restore your system using the power of portage.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
thegarbageman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the livecd-ng package in the portage tree to make my own custom live cds. My favorite includes an openmosix kernel for quickly adding nodes to my cluster. Another includes the driver for the FastTrak RAID controller so I can mount my partitions. Also, I like to use mc instead of nano or nvi, so I have that on there too. The livecd-ng package needed a little tweaking to get it to work.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any sort of documentation to livecd-ng? There isn't a man page and google strikes out.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On first look, and this is only a first look, it appears that only three things would need to be changed in the livecd in order to use as a system restoration device.

1. Change the kernel you want to use to you personal kernel. This is important for people who patch their own kernels, especially for harware reasons. Along these lines module.autoload can be added as well as network and hardware config files. This should be straighforward and easily automated.

2. Build a new stage2/3 tarball to replace the ones on the cd. This would include the built programs from you computer that would normally be in a stage 2. This stage 2 would also include your /etc, and your portage directories from make.conf, and your portage cache. This should be easily scriptable.

3. Make a nice script to tie them all together. gentoo-backup would generate the livecd using livecd-ng and the above files. gentoo-restore would be on the livecd and run the necessary steps to reinstall. That would primarily just involve emerge --usepkg world. Since the portage tree on the cd would be a snapshot, if packages had been made and saved they could be reinstalled quickly, bringing the system up in little time.

I think this sort of system restoration would be a welcome addition for when you mess things up. It isn't a replacement for data backups, but it would allow desktop system resoration to be much quicker. It would allow people that once they got a working system up keep that in case kde-cvs wipes it out. It may also make people more brave to beta test if they think they can restore their whole system in two hours.

I am not a coder but I would be willing to do a lot of the leg work if anyone would want to try to put this together.

I really believe if gentoo had this sort of functionality it would be another great reason to use it. Gentoo is the only platform where this could really effectively be implemented, since it is made from the ground up. It also appears that most of the ools are there they just need to brought togther by a capable programmer.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a cool idea (if a a bit tricky to implement). One issue I could see as being a problem is software installed outside of portage. Should /usr/local and /opt be backed up as well?
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Make Your Own Recovery CD Reply with quote

noff wrote:
Would anyone else like to see a way developed to automatically make a livecd for you system?
Any ideas of how difficult this would be. How anyone else use this?

I'm using for my servers (linux, freebsd) restoration Norton Ghost software. Just boot from floppy and write all hdd or partition onto cd-r(w)- packed. Restoring system takes approximately 5 minutes. Is there something like this linux alternative.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghosting is usually a better solution for backup. But ghosting 100+ GB is a lot of cdrs. A server is different from a desktop. Most webservers and the like have lower storage requirements. The forum is only a couple hundred megs and downtime is crucially important. Fileservers should already have backups in place. For most personal computers, they have large quantities of data, but most of it is static. Music collections and other media only need a periodic backup. So the idea for some people to burn 150 CD-RWs every week is a hassle, especially if most of the data doesn't change. The main thing that would change is /home and the system. I think that is why a lot of people would benefit. Because now they would only have 1 cd for their system and would just have to backup /home, assuming they do lower frequency data backups.

But I would agree ghosting for servers is a good idea and most servers should have raid or tape or something to really secure and reduce downtime.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noff wrote:
So the idea for some people to burn 150 CD-RWs every week is a hassle, especially if most of the data doesn't change.

You may want to consider some incremental (differential) methods of backup. Like rdiff-backup.
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does livecd-ng work as good as the Debian bootcd program?
I have made a livecd with it and works great, slower than a harddrive though. Built it wil mozilla, blackbox, konqueror, gedit,.. all on one cd.

Kept hoping for a gentoo ebuild on it. I might have to try umasking the livecd-ng.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: