View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griffinme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Via Ethernet Reply with quote

If you get a via chipset note that currently in the genkernel the velocity driver needed for your nic is not included by default.
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I myself am taking my first steps in gentoo/amd64 and I wanted to ask a quick question or two.

I've been looking at mobo/cpu sets for a few weeks now, and I think I found the one that's probably going to be the most compatible and doable for a while.

http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=13596

I wanted to go with that because the parts are generally the same price separate, and I can pay a little bit to have them pretest and install all the parts for me (thereby lessening the chance of me screwing up 200+ dollars like I did the last time I tried to build a complete system from scratch...).

What I want to know is: does this combination look good as a gentoo system?

Also, for the last two years I was on an ibook, so I got very jaded against nvidia cards for 3d (as they completely suck for ppc) so I bought myself a radeon 9250se card for less than 35 bucks. I don't buy new pc games anymore (just console) but I'd be using older 3d games that I have. How is support for this? I've read that you can use the open source driver as well, so I hope support is good.

Anyway, I hope people still read this post, I'd like to order my mobo/cpu combo soon :)

P.S. Does the amd64 need registered ram? I've been scouring the net trying to find the exact ram I need for this system, and all I can come up with is 184 pin DDR 400/333 PC3200. The last thing I need is bad memory (especially since I want to get a lot of it). Thanks!
pinr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alaterale I was the original poster of this thread and I can tell you that I eventually settled on the Gigabyte GA-K8NS motherboard and an AMD 64 2800 procesor. I have been very very happy with this combination everything is working on the motherboard including network, sound, sata and icsensors and I have no problems. Current uptime is 181 hours. I looked at the link you sent and I noticed they had the Gigabyte GGigabyte GA-K8NPro, which I guess is pretty much the same as mine ( can't remember the exact difference between the pro and mine) so I can recomend that MB. However, I noticed that the price of the Gigabyte is $107 more than the ASrock MB. It seems they are only charging $153 for both the processor and MB (is this correct?) that is in fact what I paid just for my processor here in Mexico two months back. All I can say is at that price it has to be a bargin. They are virtually giving the MB away free so maybe it is worth a try and if it doesn't work with Linux you can just chuck it and upgrade to something better.
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it appears that the only thing they're giving away is the fan and heatsink, as I can get the mobo and cpu separately for pretty much the same cost:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=AX642800&c=pw
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-K8U1689&c=pw#

I don't know about the gigabyte board, but I like the asrock because I can upgrade to a 939 socket cpu in the future if I want.

Also, there's the benefit of paying a little extra for them to pretest and install the cpu fan and heatsink and make sure it works before they send it out. I'm thinking of doing that instead of risking screwing up the install myself.

I have another question, since you have the same processor. How much heat does it generate? What kind of fan/heatsink/getup do you have on your system? It's been a really hot summer where I am (upstate NY), though my apt has brand new insulation which helps a great deal (lowers the in house temp by quite a bit, but it still remains warm on the wicked hot days). Do you have any problems keeping it cool enough to run? My last x86 system was a dual athlon mp which overheated quite a few times during the summer... had so many fans in that thing everywhere, and it still got too hot :P

I thought about water cooling, but I mainly want to save money overall on this thing, especially since I want to get lots of ram :)
pinr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaterale wrote:

I have another question, since you have the same processor. How much heat does it generate? What kind of fan/heatsink/getup do you have on your system? It's been a really hot summer where I am (upstate NY), though my apt has brand new insulation which helps a great deal (lowers the in house temp by quite a bit, but it still remains warm on the wicked hot days). Do you have any problems keeping it cool enough to run? My last x86 system was a dual athlon mp which overheated quite a few times during the summer... had so many fans in that thing everywhere, and it still got too hot :P
I thought about water cooling, but I mainly want to save money overall on this thing, especially since I want to get lots of ram :)

Well first I'm living in Monterrey in Northern Mexico (about 2 hours from Texas) and I can tell you this place is very hot. At the moment it is cloudy (due to Emily last week) and the current outside temprature is 35 (centigrade) a couple of weeks ago it was in the low 40s and sometime it even goes up to 48 and on top of that I don't have any air conditioning in my flat. Despite the heat here I have had no problems and the computer is on 24/7. I bought the AMD processor in a box which comes with an AMD heat sink and fan included additionally I have 3 fans in the case extracting air. Tempratures are pretty constant I'm using cool and quiet which sets the prossesor to either 1080 or 1875 MHz depending on the workload. Normally it runs at 1040 and the current processor temprature according to icsensors is 29 (C) the MB is at 26. The hotest I've seen it go at prolonged unrestricted use on a hot day was about 45 (C) which according to AMD is ok. So I don't think you will need to worry about water cooling .
downey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd let you know that you don't need registered RAM for AMD64. The one thing I did find is that you have to use Single sided RAM, not double sided. I had a stick of Kingston double sided 512M ram that I was going to use but it doesn't seem to work. I then got another single sided stick and everything is fine now. The single sided requirement might also be a socket 939 thing as well. I went with an ASUS K8N-SLI board and so far it's been pretty good. The only thing that is wrong with the board is the extremely load northbridge fan. I replaced that and now everything is running well.

I would stick with a 939 socket system unless you really want to try to save every penny as it gives you better memory speed. Also most PCI express boards are 939 boards. So unless you are trying to use an older video card I would go with PCI express.

Hope that helps.
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty thanks for the update on heat with the amd64 setup :) I think I'm going to go grab that combo after all, it seems to be the best price for a decent 64 system.

downey: Thanks, I won't buy registered, I'm not sure about the single sided, but I'll try that too.
As far as 939 goes, it's more expensive, and I have a lot of other things to pay for, so I don't want to go overboard on this new computer. As it is, I'm only going to buy this combo plus I already bought a very cheap radeon 9250 and a case with a few fans. Overall, it should come out to around 300 for the combo, case, and video card and ram. I have everything else already in spare parts from older computers. And the good thing about this mobo is that it does have a 939 upgrade daughter board, so I can get a 939 socket cpu in there eventually if I want, not to mention I could also just upgrade the 754 cpu as well to a higher number. So it looks pretty good to me, but that's just me :P

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help :)
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've read the discussion so far and it is quite interesting for me since I plan to jump onto the AMD64 waggon. :-) The different manufacturers of chipsets have been discussed looking at the quality of their chips and summerizing I may say that nVidia or VIA are good or even the only choices. Now I've read things like http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24910 (also some other concerning RAM which I can't find now) in which VIA is said to have some problems.

So I'm quite unsure what to choose. It seems that nVidia is - like always - not very supportive to the OS community. Therefore I'd like to avoid them as possible. I do not need the last bit of performance - I guess the difference between VIA and nVidia are marginal. But how's the OS support of VIA? Are they any better? Or are the drivers for their chipset (SATA RAID, network and sound) "just" reverse engineered like most of nVidias? So I'd like to know: which would be the better political choice (or less worse ;-) ).

Thank you,
Marcel

PS: F.ex. I'm currently looking at the "A8V-E Deluxe" vs. the "A8N (SLI) Deluxe".
stonie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiho,

I have good experiences with my Asus A8N-E (no-sli) with the nvidia nforce 4 ultra chipset.
Got everything up and running exept of the sata-raid - which i don't need.
I am not using any SATA drives - so I can't tell you about SATA support on the nforce 4 ultra.
--edit
(Ah forgot - I also have the onboard sound deactivated cause I got a seperate sound card with a better output quality. I read in the forums that nforce sound should work somehow - although it seems that there are some problems with 5.1 sound....)
--edit
But I recently installed Gentoo on a computer with an Gigabyte K8NS-Ultra-939 with SATA drive and nforce 3 and had no problems.
I read somewhere that nforce 3 and nforce 4 are nearly the same (main difference is supposed to be PCI-E support in nforce 4).
Also I couldn't say that the forcedeth drivers (eth) had a poor performance.
Rock solid, very stable and lightning fast.
Have fun building your system ;)

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=63327
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I heard that VIA's support in linux is pretty much universal. I'm not sure if its from reverse engineering or just that they love linux, but so many via things work great.

I had to change the board I was going to buy because by the time I was ready to order, it had doubled in price. So I just recently ordered myself a Asus a8v board (non deluxe--it was extra money for features which I probably would never use, which from what I could tell were just audio post messages and wifi@home). I should be getting it set up in a couple weeks, so I'll be officially on the amd64 bandwagon then :-P

As far as nforce goes, it seems to be a split issue here, so I didn't want to risk it.

Oh yeah, and my new video card is a radeon 9250, which is, I heard, the last radeon to be supported under the fully open source drivers, so with luck I won't have to use binary drivers :)

Last edited by Elsipkitch9809 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
pinr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyerm wrote:
It seems that nVidia is - like always - not very supportive to the OS community. Therefore I'd like to avoid them as possible.

Just out of curiosity why do you say that? If you go to the Nvidia site here:http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
You will see that Nvidia have released drivers for their graphics cards and NForce chipsets for Linux and FreeBSD. The Nforce drivers include network and sound. Now I admit that these drivers are closed source and also that I'm not using them (apart from the graphic card) as there are open source alternatives, but at least Nvidia are providing these drivers, which is more than I can say for a lot of hardware manufacturers.
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

pinr wrote:
meyerm wrote:
It seems that nVidia is - like always - not very supportive to the OS community. Therefore I'd like to avoid them as possible.

Just out of curiosity why do you say that?

I never meant to offend anybody. And of course I don't want to start any flamewar :-). So I'll simply explain my statement.

As you said by yourself, the offered drivers are closed source. I know that this is much more than many other manufacturers do and I appreciate that. But that is _almost_ as good as no drivers. Because the drivers are not the quality I wish (not very secure and very often impossible to put a GeForce notebook at sleep f.ex.), they are tied to the environment the manufacturer chooeses (f.ex. the kernel and the OS), are mostly not available in the future (can I still use my nVidia products in 5 years?) and do not work on other architectures (I have this problem with my PPC - I must use a Radeon 9250 or lower because this is the only good 3D card with open source drivers).

I could write pages about that - but other people have done that enough :-). I didn't say I would never choose nVidia. Of course not for a critical system, but since I now try to build a PC to game on it, it could be sold in 1 or 2 years and everything will (hopefully) be fine in the meantime with the binary drivers of nVidia. As you can see above, I'm looking at a VIA and a nVidida board (but to be honest, the nVidia board only because it has an SIL SATA controller, which is indeed "open hardware").

Hopefully I explained my point of view so that you can understand it and don't feel like flaming :-D.

Cheers,
Marcel
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with the Nforce chipset, at least the nforce3, is that it takes a lot of your processor away when using the discs heavily. Copy large files and your computer chugs along.

That is why when I went for a 64b I got the ASUS A8V (has a 939 socket), great board and is only $90 (US) from www.newegg.com. ATI video card do suck when it comes to Linux, their drivers are horrible with only a few people getting them to work in 64b mode. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, which I cannot get to work correctly in 64b or even in KDE at all. nVidia has better driver support for Linux, just make sure you don't get a special nVidia card, like the MSI NX6200AX with HDTV support (Their BIOS doesn't get the card to show as a nvidia chip).

Everything on the ASUS A8V with the VIA chipset works perfect in Linux. SATA, IDE, Network, etc.
brian33x51
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the guys who've said SiS is junk, well some of the boards aren't as high quality because of what the manufacturers put into them.

However, based on my experiences with both nvidia and via chipsets I'd have to say they're more stable.

My via experience is a bit old, I haven't played with them since the KT333A days. I just know IO performance is pathetic, throw in a 3ware card & gigabit & try to burn a cd. Good luck doing anything.

At work similar deal. Tried some via based opteron (1xx) boards. They worked fine, only problem was we blew 3 of the boards. That was probably Asus's fault.

Then we went with some socket 754/939 nforce3 250 boards. So far we've had 5 of the onboard gigabit controllers fail. That's MSI and Asus both.

For athlonXP's we found the sis boards to give us the most stable performance as beater machines that needed lots of good IO. When it comes to athlon64 the nforce's are pretty fast but we've had problems with their stabilty, especially using WildCat cards (funny since they're owned by nvidia). For what we do we always for some reason end up going back to buying SiS since they seem to be more stable for us across the board, both linux & windows.

And sadly AGP support still isn't quite where it should be with my sis board. I still end up having to hack the agp/amd64_agp.c file for every release for my 760. Other than that it runs just great.
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abit AN8 SLI Fatal1ty

Pretty expensive price tag for a mobo, but its soooooo goood
hooflungpoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SniperSlap wrote:
I wouldn't build an SIS system even if it was for free. They are just a junk chipset manufacturer. Just no hope for that brand, no matter what any benchmark tells you.

You lost your credability there... go home.

I have been using SiS based boards since the beginning of their long history. Their Socket A chipsets were astonishing. ECS has some top notch hardware based around them. I still have two SiS based computers, 746 and 755. My 746 still runs laps around the Nforce 2 400 chipset in my asus box. IDE performance went WAY down with Nvidia. My 755 ASROCK can stuff any nForce 3 based rig with comparable hardware in the trash can.

You just can't be stupid about your purchases. Maybe you think the way you do because of your pitiful exerience with these brands of chipsets but I think it was your store's suppliers fault and not the Mobo manufacturers fault. If you can visibly see returns on one brand and not another... such things are irrelevant. Manufacturers operate with a certain fault ratio and boards based on SiS still operate in a safe threashold than any pimp-my-rig chipset like Nforce. Remeber SiS runs on more PCs worldwide than Nvidia and Via combined if you take china and europe into account.

Talk what you know and not what you think.
longship
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: nForce4 Chipset MoBos are the top right now. Reply with quote

As of the latest kernels the nForce4 chipset motherboards are supported fully out of the box by the kernel without adding extra drivers.

I have kernel 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 and an ASUS A8N-Sli Premium MoBo. It just works perfectly. Other nForce4 based MoBos should work the same.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: