View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaapeli
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reiser4: Do It Yourself -repacker Reply with quote

Based on my experiences, reiser4 is a great filesystem but like every other filesystems, the performance will detoriate after using it long enough. More details about my thoughts can be read from here . The repacker is supposed to optimize the filesystem structures and make it fast again. Unfortunately, repacker is not a vailable yet. Well, I made a simple script which is supposed to increase the performance on reiser4 partitions.

WARNING - Do not use this script unless you know what you're doing

Now you're warned, I don't take any responsibility what my script might do to your system, so don't use it ;) Actually I haven't even used it on my main root partition yet. I used my old fragmented root partition for testing and benchmarking.

Here is the magic script:

Code:

for i in * ; do echo "$i" && cp -a "$i" "$i".back && rm -rf "$i" && mv "$i".back "$i" ; done

What it does is simply to copy the object (file or directory) with a new name and remove the original copy, then rename the new object so it has the same name as the old copy. Doing that allows reiser4 to write the directory contents again to the disk and pack it tightly again. After running this script, the contents and the attributes of the files should be the same. Only bug I can see is that the directory modification time doesn't remain the same. If you have a solution for this (possibly using tar instead of cp), let me know about it. The only scenario when this script can increase performance is when a directory is been in use for a long perioid of time and there have been a lot of (small) modifications. Basically it should make the directory as fast as it used to be when you first created it.

Well, then for the benchmarks.. My old root partition was badly fragmented and had very poor performance with it. I tested this script on usr/lib directory. This test measures how long it took to read the contents of the directory before any modifications.

Code:

# mount oldroot/
# time tar -cf /dev/zero oldroot/usr/lib/

real    0m50.784s
user    0m0.251s
sys     0m3.949s
# umount oldroot/ && mount oldroot/

real    0m50.840s
user    0m0.188s
sys     0m3.965s

Not very good time, there was only 608 MB files on the directory. Average transfer rate was 11.9 MB/s. I know the disk is capable to read ~50 MB/s when reading large sequential files.

Then I ran the magic script:

Code:

# cd oldroot/usr/lib
# for i in * ; do echo "$i" && cp -a "$i" "$i".back && rm -rf "$i" && mv "$i".back "$i" ; done

And then another benchmark after the script had finished:

Code:

# cd ../../..

real    0m22.767s
user    0m0.197s
sys     0m3.900s

real    0m22.984s
user    0m0.193s
sys     0m3.832s

Data read time dropped 55%, average transfer rate was 26.7 MB/s. I think this is a significant improvement. It still doesn't give maximum throughput from the disk, but it's much better. I think the free space on that partition is quite fragmented too.

But this script has also some drawbacks:

• Directory modification times will not remain the same. This may or may not cause problems, I don't know.
  • Inode numbers change (original file is deleted and an identical file is created). It a file is in use while this script accesses it, there may be some unwanted side effects.
  • If the script is used in a directory which contains large subdirectories, large amount of free space is required.
  • Something else I'm not aware of.

I would like to hear your comments about this method of increasing disk performance on reiser4 partitions. I think this is more "an ugly hack" than a real defragmenter or repacker, but it seems to do rather good job when used on a fragmented directory.

Mods, if you have a better forum for this thread, feel free to move it :)
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reiser4: Do It Yourself -repacker Reply with quote

Kaapeli wrote:
Mods, if you have a better forum for this thread, feel free to move it :)

Ok. :wink:

Moved from Other Things Gentoo.
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better bet would be to use
Code:

tar -cvjf

and
Code:

tar -xvjf

inbetween just rm -Rf ./* on the partition (or directory)

fragmentation of freespace drops to 0 then, well, disregarding reiser4 flaws that is.... ;)

cheers

T

PS:
no , i didnt test it and i never will :D
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any word yet when reiser4.1 will be out, i need that repacker, lol
wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, thanks for the script, but it's too much of a hack for my taste... I'd rather wait for a working repacker (and accept the slow IO operations until then :))
Kaapeli
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger683 wrote:
A better bet would be to use
Code:

tar -cvjf

and
Code:

tar -xvjf

inbetween just rm -Rf ./* on the partition (or directory)

fragmentation of freespace drops to 0 then, well, disregarding reiser4 flaws that is.... ;)

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, of course. If you tar pack the whole content to another partition, empty it and then put it all back, that would most definitely be the most optimal solution. However, my goal was merely to emulate the repacker, to copy the files inside of the filesystem to allow it be written to the disk again in better optimized order. It seems to give rather good performance increase by doing it the way I did even though the partition I was operating with was 70% full.
thubble
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to manually enable the "broken" repacker on old Reiser4 snapshots. I ran it once in each direction, and didn't experience any problems, but it didn't provide any speedup either. Unfortunately on recent snapshots the repacker code has been removed completely instead of just disabled. :(
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont have to tar it into another partition ;P
Given that you have ebough space on the current one
you still get the tar.bz2 in one fregment.
then just do
Code:

for i in *; do if $i != BLAH.tar.bz2 rm -Rf $i;
done;

Im not a bash h4x0r, but sth like that should do the trick.
Pack it together with the tar/untar option into a bash script and put into /bin; preceding with "cd /;"
in the script, name it r4repack or whatever and u have your thing;
ofcourse, it might also delete everything if theres even a typo in the check-for-tar-file-$i part ;)
But, conceptually its the idea :D

T
Kaapeli
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Some more benchmarks and testing... Reply with quote

I've been doing some more experimenting and benchmarking with this thing today. I realized that there is a very simple alternte method for rewriting the files to the disk;

Code:

tar -c /directory/to/operate/with | tar -xv

This method works best with large fragmented files. It doesn't modify the content of the files, it doesn't modify file or directory attributes, but it does change link timestamps. Compared to the previous method, directory timestamps and inode numbers will remain the same. However, this method doesn't rewrite the directory structure. Therefore, if there is a fragmented directory with a lot of subdirectories, you may not gain as much improvement as you could with the cp -a method.

I tested this on my old home directory which contained many large files. Most of the files were already very well located on the disk, read performance was excellent among most of the files.

Code:

# mount oldroot/
#t ime tar -cf /dev/zero oldroot/home/kaapeli/

real    3m25.904s
user    0m0.618s
sys     0m36.722s

And the magic trick:

Code:

# tar -c oldroot/home/kaapeli/ | tar -cv

And another read test
Code:

# time tar -cf /dev/zero oldroot/home/kaapeli/

real    3m10.905s
user    0m0.603s
sys     0m37.772s

As you can see, there was only very little of improvement. However, while the read the files after the operation, the read speed was quite constantly within 30 - 40 MB/s range. Before the tar operation I could read many of the files over 50 MB/s while some other large files crawled as slow as 10 MB/s. Conclusion: It is no good to rewrite files which are already well located on the disk. The read performance may even degrade if the free space on the partition is fragmented. So, only rewrite files which are badly fragmented. That will give you the best performance boost and costs you least amout of time. On the other words, use your common sense ;)

Second benchmark

This time I decided to optimize my old /usr/portage directory. Read test with tar indicated that the files distfiles directory were perfectly packed, so I simply moved the distfile directory outside of the portage directory while I did this test. As our previous test indicated, it is no good to try optimizing something that's already optimal :)

Read performance before the test:

Code:

# time tar -cf /dev/zero oldroot/usr/portage/root/tmp/

real    0m33.997s
user    0m0.808s
sys     0m5.457s
# time tar -cf /dev/zero oldroot/usr/portage/

real    0m35.418s
user    0m0.815s
sys     0m5.441s

Repacker emulation:

Code:

# tar -c oldroot/usr/portage/ | tar -xv

And the tead test after the operation:

Code:

real    0m20.152s
user    0m0.738s
sys     0m5.078s

real    0m20.327s
user    0m0.778s
sys     0m5.165s

40% drop on the read time.

However, this method doesn't rewrite the directories. I wanted to see whether rewriting the directories as well had any further impact on the performance. So, I ran the other script too to see if it could still make any difference.

Code:

# cd oldroot/usr/portage/
# for i in * ; do echo "$i" && cp -a "$i" "$i".back && rm -rf "$i" && mv "$i".back "$i" ; done

# cd ../../..

real    0m16.151s
user    0m0.774s
sys     0m4.958s

real    0m16.744s
user    0m0.756s
sys     0m5.057s

That is 18% improvement compared to the previous situation and 51% improvement compared to the original situation.

It seems that in some cases rewriting the directory structure can increase the performance more than just rewriting the files inside of the directories. This of course depends on how badly fragmented the directory strucuture is and how badly fragmented files there are.

I've used the tar method to rewrite my irclog files and it seems to make grep searches much faster. Logs and other slowly incrementing large files seem to get fragmented quite easily (i've witnessed this to happend on other filesystems (xfs at least) too). If you need to do searching on your logs, it makes sense to occassionally rewrite them to the disk to make them more sequential again.

Any comments are welcome.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp -a r4dir/* somewhere_else
umount ...

mkfs -t reiser4 ...

mount

cp -a somewhere_else/* r4dir

Judging by the drop in the noise comming from the drive it took a load off the mechanism.
8)
wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard rumors (no confirmation, just some mailing list entries) that they wanna charge your for the repacker (quote: "Hans needs money"). Any comment/confirmation/troll-killing?
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishkah wrote:
I heard rumors (no confirmation, just some mailing list entries) that they wanna charge your for the repacker (quote: "Hans needs money"). Any comment/confirmation/troll-killing?
There will be a really simple and basic repacker in reiser4 (hopefully 4.1). I'm not sure if it will be an online or an offline repacker :?

edit: Just checked the mailing list, compression is for 4.1 not the repacker sigh :(
SoTired
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishkah wrote:

Hans Reiser on the mailing list 05/06/05 01:06 according to thunderbird wrote:
I think someone is going to pay us to write the online repacker in the very near future, though I can't say their name.

Basically, Hans just wants someone to give some sponsoring money - since I've been on the list nothing has come up about charging end-users for the repacker.
mwirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two reiser4 partitions that are about eight months old, /home and /, and both are down to about 6MB/s read transfer rate (when copying data to another hard disk!!). The disk should be capable of 40 to 50 MB/s. A vfat partition on the same disk achieves about 30MB/s transfer rate.
Even scp from my notebook (via 100Mbps ethernet) is faster than my reiser4 partitions :(

Which brings us to the conclusion that we really NEED a repacker. Otherwise, the claims of reiser4 being the fastest filesystem are just laughable...
I'm probably going to migrate my system to ext3 partitions unless a repacker (an offline version would do just fine) is released really soon.
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried this script?
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not run this script in /bin, /lib or /sbin. It holds the commands and files that are needed by the script.
pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infirit wrote:
Do not run this script in /bin, /lib or /sbin. It holds the commands and files that are needed by the script.
I think you are supposed to run this from livecd or some other external environment.
M@rijn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it have the same effect when i start the Boot CD tar my / partition scp it to my server, rebuild reiser4 partitions and put the tar back? Or will i have the same (slow) effect after it?
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what the script wants to achieve, in a quicker way and skipping the scp part...
Lore
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long, long time ago, there where ancient filesystems, which had to be defragmentated every once in a while. Then the wise men invented better filesystems. The masses praised the wise men because life went much easier.

Nowadays, a new hero arised, call the reiser4. This filesystem is much, much better than all other filesystem. The only flaw is, that it has to be repacked every once in a while.

And the wheel of time goes on and on.
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is reiser4 vulnerable to balefire though? I suppose it is... :lol:
Kaapeli
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lore wrote:
Long, long time ago, there where ancient filesystems, which had to be defragmentated every once in a while. Then the wise men invented better filesystems. The masses praised the wise men because life went much easier.

Nowadays, a new hero arised, call the reiser4. This filesystem is much, much better than all other filesystem. The only flaw is, that it has to be repacked every once in a while.

And the wheel of time goes on and on.

Can you mention a filesystem that does not require defragmenting/repacking once in a while? As far as I know, such a filesystem does not exist. If you continuously shuffle the files around on your disk, all filesystems will inevitably lose their integrity without active repacking, reorganizing, defragmenting or how ever you wish to call it.
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an existing one, no.
But it is certainly possible.

Think about why fragmentation occurs: it depends on the assigment of free blocks both when creating a file on a fresh part of the filesystems' bitmap, and by a much greater amount on the assignment of blocks from reclaimed parts of a (polluted) bitmap - one with many small gaps in it.
The last one is what causes most of the unpredictable fragmentation, since a smart FS can take measures to ensure that really new files do not get fragmented if sufficient space is available.
But say we extend this "smartness" to maintaining (or rebuilding) an on-disk meta-bitmap of consecutive free blocks, sorted by size and accessibility (nearness).
Put that through the same B-tree algorithms Reiser uses for the inodes and you should be able to optimise placement of any new files - wheter on new blocks or re-used parts of the disk.
A muilti-tier "bitmap of bitmaps" would probably work best, a la CPU caching.

Of course, it incurs overhead, but not as much as you'd think, since one would obviously code for the trivial case - the most common re-assignments of free space - which occur most often.
Any of the +-stdev occurences outside this mean would only need to be performed occasionally - and one could even put those processes on a backburner: less "live" than the normal allocator, but not completely offline like a repacker.

Reiser5, hmm ?
Lore
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kaapeli
[As a preface, I'm a user of reiser4 and I like.]

I'm thinking of my Windows 95 days. At that time you have to defragment your FAT filesystem to avoid a siginifcant amount of efficiency. Reiser3, ext3 and co. are able to be efficient over an unpredictable time. So it's quite scaring to me running a maintenance tool to keep reiser4 efficient.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishkah wrote:

Hans Reiser - Re: Reiser4 repackers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: