PCMCIA probs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kryonik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: PCMCIA probs Reply with quote

Ive had some difficulty getting my pcmcia network card to work on my gentoo system.

So far Ive tried compiling PCMCIA and the network drivers into the kernel, and making them modules. Both ways produce the same result. If I do an lsmod, none of the modules are loaded correctly. I did emerge pcmcia-cs after install, and cardmgr does come up and see my scsi card, but it gives non descript module errors/device not found errors when it tries to bring up the eth0. I also get errors when i try to modprobe i82365 manually. The card Im using for reference is a xircom 10/100 combo ethernet-modem card.

If I use the live cd, network comes up just fine, so I know the card and gentoo are compatable. I tried to look in rc.modules and couldnt find that file on gentoo, so at this point Im pretty lost in what next to try. Any suggestions?
sleek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recommend recompiling your kernel with absolutely no PCMCIA support whatsoever. Then when you boot into this newly compiled kernel, "emerge pcmcia-cs" and you should then be able to modprobe pcmcia_core, modprobe i82365, modprobe ds, and then cardmgr -f, dhcpcd eth0, etc.
kryonik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accidently discovered the fix before seeing the reply. For future reference, it did require making the pcmcia and network components modules instead of built in. I then added the pcmcia_core, and network module to the startup script /etc/modules.autoload. After that, the PCMCIA and xircom card worked as advertised.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: