modprobe/lsmod issues?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinergy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: modprobe/lsmod issues? Reply with quote

i just finished a new install of 2005.0/kernel-2.6.11-r6 on a server. everything seems to come up just fine. but, when i run *lsmod* all i get is:

Code:

ls0 / # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ls0 / #

if i try to *modprobe* one of my nic drivers (which are loaded by the kernel anyway) i get this:

Code:

ls0 / # modprobe sis900
FATAL: Module sis900 not found.
ls0 / #

like i said, everything seems to be working. i haven't tried to load any other modules yet. but, the lack of output from lsmod really confuses me. shouldn't i see what is currently running?

edit: i forgot to mention, i have the current release of module-init-tools.

the only changes to my kernel config i made were the inclusion of raid support (it is a software raid 1 box). the rest is pretty light and standard.

did i miss or incorrectly config something with module support? why would modprobe and lsmod not work?
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mark your kernel drivers as <M> or as <*>? If you used <*> for everything (or at least everything your computer actually needs), then you won't have any modules loaded, as everything is built into the kernel itself (i.e. it is not a module).
hal8000b
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: modprobe/lsmod issues? Reply with quote

dinergy wrote:
i just finished a new install of 2005.0/kernel-2.6.11-r6 on a server. everything seems to come up just fine. but, when i run *lsmod* all i get is:

Code:

ls0 / # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ls0 / #

if i try to *modprobe* one of my nic drivers (which are loaded by the kernel anyway) i get this:

Code:

ls0 / # modprobe sis900
FATAL: Module sis900 not found.
ls0 / #

like i said, everything seems to be working. i haven't tried to load any other modules yet. but, the lack of output from lsmod really confuses me. shouldn't i see what is currently running?

edit: i forgot to mention, i have the current release of module-init-tools.

the only changes to my kernel config i made were the inclusion of raid support (it is a software raid 1 box). the rest is pretty light and standard.

did i miss or incorrectly config something with module support? why would modprobe and lsmod not work?

Did you remember to run
make modules-install ?
cd to /lib/modules
You should see a directory with the kernel revision i.e. 2.6.11-r6
cd into this directory and there will be further directories containing only modules you have compiled.
You will only see a module if you compiled it with the "m" option in the kernel config as has been mentioned already.
HTH
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: